Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnr View Post
    I don't think there are.
    There might be, but most will put career preservation above principle, moral decency and common sense when the time comes to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

My friend and I were talking about starting to stockpile food last night. Anyone else thinking about Brexit preparations? Really worried about access to meds.
      Thoughts I've had in no particular order
      - do we need to stockpile food?
      - is it too late to move to Canada?
      - should I buy a generator?
      - should I be buying gold and burying it in the garden?
      - who do I know in Europe if we need to flee?
      - should I get back in contact with the shady guy who once tried to sell me a gun

Now I'm thinking about meds. I'd be ok but Mrs Thistle's are more essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        See the front pages above.
        That's why you go on stuff like Channel 4 News, which is watched by lots of people who'd welcome a better performance on Brexit.

What are the doing instead? Corbyn did a heartlands railway tour. Heartlands Brexit tour, anybody?

Comment

Jeremy Hunt so desperate he's chanelling IDS. Don't underestimate the determination of a polite nation.

Comment

John McDonnell: Labour wants to push ahead with Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ad-with-brexit

Economic disaster, fear and insecurity for EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU 27 countries, a return to bloodshed in Northern Ireland, joy for xenophobes everywhere. Fuck Labour to hell and back.

Comment

I wondered why he'd made the eyecatching commitment to nationalize trains within 5 years. North East England might take a 16% Hard Brexit hit, but they can ride around in proper British trains.

He made this statement on the Today Programme. Funny how the "MSM" was OK for this today, but not for saying something sensible about Brexit yesterday.

Comment

Rail nationalization is the most half baked bollocks I’ve ever heard- especially their piss weak line about how the evil Eurocrats would prevent it so we must leave. Just cos British politicians and civil servants seem to be fucking clueless about how to game the EU system re State Aid/procurement. I’m fucking done with rump racist island, Scotland needs shot of ye and the great Corbyn govt that will prob never happen doublequick. Tommy Sheridan as idiot deluded unpleasant but game changing Pearse figure?

Love the way Corbyn suddenly doesn’t give two fucks about the six counties any more than say Wilson or fucking Callaghan now he is in charge of the Labour machine. He could use peace and no border as Labour’s pivot to the Single market (CU alone won’t prevent some kind of physical border). But nah, making sure the racist leave voters are triangled to on immigration is more important (for the millionth time, a strategy based on flawed psephology).
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-09-2018, 11:59.

Comment

McDonnell has just restated what their position has been for months. The hysterical reaction to it explains exactly why Labour aren't going on the news programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                    That's why you go on stuff like Channel 4 News, which is watched by lots of people who'd welcome a better performance on Brexit.
                    Well, that'll be why Starmer was on Channel 4 News - just not live, but recorded earlier with Crick - and live on Sky and the BBC earlier in the day.

Comment

Ah, he went on? Apologies, Guru-Murphy had said before he couldn't get anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                        McDonnell has just restated what their position has been for months. The hysterical reaction to it explains exactly why Labour aren't going on the news programmes.
                        The "5 years" is new. I'm not wild about the policy generally and think that expectations of it are way too high, but doing it at that speed could make it into a huge clusterfuck.

It just feels to me that this is "red meat", announced because of disappointment in another, much more important policy area.

Comment

Guru-Murthy was talking out of his arse, and didn't know that Crick had already done the interview (and hadn't caught up that Starmer had already been on the other channels). Many people pointed it out to him, but he didn't apologise/retract.

We're back to that 'Corbyn's team doesn't respond within 30 minutes of something' from 2 years ago again, aren't we? It's media bollocks, I'm afraid.

Comment

Guru-Murthy always talks out of his arse, the smug little prick.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                              Guru-Murthy was talking out of his arse, and didn't know that Crick had already done the interview (and hadn't caught up that Starmer had already been on the other channels). Many people pointed it out to him, but he didn't apologise/retract.

We're back to that 'Corbyn's team doesn't respond within 30 minutes of something' from 2 years ago again, aren't we? It's media bollocks, I'm afraid.
                              That's fair comment.

The policy problems remain though.

Comment

Good point by LS, Labour seems just as indifferent to NI than Tories. Brexit is first and foremost an English revolution.

In the coming months, i need to visit the Swiss embassy in London to register my (latest) marriage, i will also visit Canada House to renew my Canadian passport.

Comment

Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake. Said Theresa May, today. (h/t Chris Addison).

Britain Elects
                                  ‏@britainelects
                                  Follow Follow @britainelects

Westminster voting intention:

CON; 40% (-)
                                  LAB: 36% (-)
                                  LDEM: 11% (-)
                                  UKIP: 5% (+1)
                                  via @YouGov, surveyed this week
                                  Chgs. w/ 13 Sep
                                  12:52 am - 22 Sep 2018
                                  I can't be bothered to embed the Tweet, but you'll see predictable "yougov Tory bollocks" BTL.

In 2017, yougov had the Tories beating Labour by 4 points and 33 seats. They won by 2.4 points and 55 seats. So not Tory bollocks.

Comment

I fucking despair. We’re getting no deal and no GE. Sure if no deal is bad enough and there’s a state of emergency and food riots, I bet Labour still wouldn’t get in power whenever/if an election was called again. People in times of fear and crisis tend to keep with status quo/tack right. And if NI burns and the shelves are empty, that’ll be the fault of the evil Brussels bastards, and especially the paddies, at least for enough idiots in England to re elect the Tories.

Comment

I don't see Labour getting into power anytime soon. If their calculations are that a bad Brexit will shift the populace towards them, they are likely wrong and it is a horribly cynical gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                        Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake. Said Theresa May, today. (h/t Chris Addison).

I can't be bothered to embed the Tweet, but you'll see predictable "yougov Tory bollocks" BTL.

In 2017, yougov had the Tories beating Labour by 4 points and 33 seats. They won by 2.4 points and 55 seats. So not Tory bollocks.
                                        The Electoral Calculus analysis of that poll gives the Tories an effective majority once you exclude SF:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/...&boundary=2017

Comment

Yeah this whole we need a GE now thing rather than/without having an honest policy on Brexit is complete shite.

Comment

The idea that Corbyn and (especially) McDonnell don't care about NI is laughable. The fact that Brexit is likely to substantially increase the chances of a united Ireland is probably one of the factors that is contributing to their not leaping towards a second referendum.

Comment

Fantastic. Let the place have a short term fire so there can be a glorious 32 county republic. If they cared about what will happen up there right now and the immediate future they would campaign for the softest Brexit possible, again what Is the advantage of keeping their cards close to their chest on Brexit? Beyond pandering to a racist vote that youse probably wont get anyways. There will be no election anytime soon.

Comment

Would a reunification referendum come quickly after Brexit? Doubtful and the situation would quickly become untenable in NI.

The priority is to keep onboard a fringe of the Labour electorate in England, the two clowns know perfectly well only the softest of Brexit can work for NI...

Comment

LS and I are not the same person, honest!!

Comment

I’m not even talking about a second ref which looks a load of shite esp as time has run out. They have to go for either a soggy soft as shite Brexit or cancelling A50 (which the ECJ may soon handily allow). But nah, will of the people, legit concerns on immigration bullshit has won out. Fucking bollocks to them. I only hope this does destroy the fucking Union to Just England and Loyal Wales because it’s clear the two main UK parties are beyond any redemption.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X