The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    That doesn't speak to the planning at all. Obviously plenty of people think no deal is fine and dandy. I'm less convinced they think the planning for such an eventuality is. Indeed, many of them have criticised the government for not doing more to make it a credible threat.
    Austin's a no nonsense straight talking character who speaks his mind. So if he doesn't mention planning, he's happy.

He cheered on the 4 Labour "rebels" the other day as "heroes".

Comment

Jonathan Portes
      ‏@jdportes
      Aug 14
      Real pay growth (total pay):
      2 years June 2014 to June 2016: 3.9%
      2 years June 2016 to June 2018: -0.3%
      In those terms, Cameron's "it's the economy, stupid" approach to the referendum made a fair bit of sense. Even with the effects of austerity, there ought to have been enough people doing well enough for that approach to win. But of course, it wasn't all about that and never was going to be.

Cameron is still a cloth-headed party hack for calling the referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        In fairness, fuck lorry drivers and road haulage in general.

The story is illustrative of what a fuck up the whole thing is, but it's hard to feel sorry for them.

I may even have more sympathy for British agribusiness farmers getting fucked by their Tory friends than I have for Truck companies getting fucked by their Tory friends.
        There's nearly 3 million people employed driving people and things around in the UK. it's the main blue collar job for men in the UK. It's difficult to overstate just how much every aspect of modern life depends on them being able to do their job. it's going to be their inability to do their job that starts the riots.

Comment

This one really is worth me embedding.

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1030042828238286848

Comment

Comment

Less than stellar effort by Gonch Gardiner on the radio this morning, I gather.

Comment

Sound warning! Bloomberg's Brexit Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                  Seems like there's no way to finish the game without electing Corbyn as PM

Comment

Yeah, there is. The first time I did it May managed to get through a Norway style BINO.

Comment

One Corbyn, one No Deal Brexit....so far, this is fun...

Comment

Etienne, is this what you got?

It seemed impossible, but the prime minister has secured a deal that keeps Britain relatively close to the EU—and steered it through Parliament. Purists say it’s not a real Brexit, but the U.K. departs on March 2019. Relief is short-lived. The details still need to be hammered out, and there are plenty of Tories who think this might be the perfect moment to get a new prime minister. But that’s another story.
                        Calling the Brexiteers' bluff whenever possible seems to be a "winning" strategy.

Comment

Yeah, I think that is the route that May will eventually have to take. If she doesn't I think it ends up with an election.

Comment

I got this
                            The voters agree. Corbyn becomes prime minister. Though himself a euroskeptic, he has no desire to repeat the Conservatives’ mistakes, and he knows that a soft Brexit will please his party. He announces that Britain will seek to remain in the EU’s customs union, and says he’s open to the case for single-market membership. The EU says it looks forward to talking to him.
                            Can't really imagine that this is how it will play out

Comment

So who has plans to stockpile essentials then...? I do have a few useful things already thanks to my camping hobby in term of "survival" gyzmos, I guess stocking a bit of pasta, baked beans and a variety of meat/veg cans might not be too difficult...

Comment

Nothing particularly concrete, but if there's no deal by November, then yes, I'll be getting a month's worth of non-perishables. To be honest, I kind of do already when it comes to pasta and canned tomatoes. Just need some protein really.

Comment

As light relief, BBC NI sent a crew to the Wild Frontier (Davy Crockett's farm near Derry) this morning. The sub-plot was GCSE results for DC's daughter, Annie Oakley. She did well in Economics, Ulster-Scots and Heilan Dancing but Gaelige could be marginal...

Comment

In contrast to the British hysteria surrounding immigration, the Irish stats were published today - 62% of arrivals last year had third-level degrees, which knocks the 43% Irish figure into a cocked hat ...

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica...atesapril2018/

Comment

Another £92m not going to the NHS

Comment

Also, Bloomberg reporting that both sides have abandoned hope of a deal by the October summit, which isn't really a surprise, but it's telling that they're leaking it this early.

Comment

In an amusing reversal, Barnier is not readily available for meeting Raab...

I wonder what the coded significance of this is....That the EU does not consider him of any great importance and Barnier has better things to do that waste time with him?

Comment

It's war!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...p-war-skirmish

- John Humphrys suggesting "our boats are bigger", and "we could send warships in"

(When he's taking time off from telling Nigerian women they should "go back home")

Comment

More Brexit dividend. For the Netherlands, that is.

Comment

Labour's Andy Burnham slams 'arrogant' second Brexit vote campaigners

The Greater Manchester Mayor and former Labour leadership contender said campaigners should be focusing on a "practical, bridge-building" exit from the European Union instead of pushing for a referendum on whatever deal the UK ends up striking with the EU.

He told Politico: "My frustration with those leaping to a second referendum is it further inflames this idea of an arrogant political class, which isn't listening and isn't dealing with the issues that gave rise to the referendum in the first place
                                                The only practical bridge building this man has done since the referendum is to Rees Mogg Island, with his strong opposition to freedom of movement.

Comment

My frustration with those leaping to a second referendum is it further inflames this idea of an arrogant political class, which isn't listening and isn't dealing with the issues that gave rise to the referendum in the first place
                                                  He's right, the Tory party certainly is arrogant and not dealing with its internal divisions. Not sure what that has to do with Remain campaigners though.

Comment

Ever wondered how a Labour MPs gets to supporting the hardest Tory Brexit? Here's Graham Stringer, in the Manchester Evening News, with his homespun Tony Benn-Patrick Minford philosophy.

Graham Stringer: 'The EU is a conspiracy we'd be better off out of - we CAN do business with Trump'

“Of course nobody can predict the future but I feel more confident in that assessment than anybody can in the purveyors of Project Fear. Remember George Osborne and his fellow die hard Remainers predicted immediate recession if we dared vote leave, they were wrong. However, Project Fear is continuing with its fraudulent claim for a second referendum before the first is even implemented.

“It has always perplexed me that friends within the Labour Party with whom I generally agree on issues such as extending and enhancing democracy as well as redistributing wealth and income nationally and internationally, support the EU. The EU is an affront to democracy. As Tony Benn used to say, if the electorate can’t throw out the EU’s powerful Commission you do not have a democracy.

“High tariffs on food imported from the developing world make the EU into an economic conspiracy against the developing world. To subsidise French farmers and the Barley Barons of East Anglia while the poor in this country pay a fifth more for their food is hardly progressive policies.

“When confronted with these arguments, the saboteurs of the referendum claim we will never get a trade deal with the United States, the largest economy in the world. Partly because it is led by a mad man who is a misogynist and a 24-carat protectionist. I agree that Trump is a repulsive figure but that doesn’t mean he is always wrong. On 25 July Trump’s so-called trade war got Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, to agree to make progress to greater free trade and away from protectionism." [
                                                    He's not very bright, and factually wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X