No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair to Farron he was busy elsewhere giving a speech on how he doesn’t like gays.

Comment

The Guardian reckon May "faces defeat" on a vote on staying in the customs union if no deal.

Comment

I'm not sure she is, because even if Farron and Cable remember to show up, and it's just the 3 hardcore Labour boneheads rebelling, they'll need virtually all those 14 rebels from the first close vote yesterday. Sadly, I think this "make our own trade deals" nonsense has got burrowed in too deep.

Comment

If the customs union amendment goes down to defeat today because the Tory rebels sans Soubry and Clarke go MIA AGAIN, that should forever bury the "it's Corbyn's fault!!!!" crowd.

I mean, it won't, but it should.

Comment

Gove keeping his head down after Vote Leave being fined £61,000.

Chloe Smith, responding for the government, says she's just talking about the report.

Comment

The Guardian reckon May "faces defeat" on a vote on staying in the customs union if no deal.
              What does this mean? If there's no deal, we can't stay in the customs union, by definition.

Comment

As a "backstop", if the EU would accept it, I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  What does this mean? If there's no deal, we can't stay in the customs union, by definition.
                  Presumably the Commons would mandate that as an FTA is impossible, it should settle for a Turkey-style arrangement.

Comment

But, again, a backstop would have to be agreed as part of a deal. If there's no deal, we either crash out or there's an extension.

Comment

As far as I understand "backstops", Parliament deems the government isn't going to get a deal so they then get put forward automatically for EU consideration.

Comment

So when you break electoral rules, what happens? A slap on the wrist fine? Doesn't seem like much of a deterrent

Comment

If you're Lutfur Rahman you get chucked out of office by the court.

Comment

Jim Pickard
                            @PickardJE
                            rumours of at least one more pro-EU minister resigning today, I can't guarantee you'll have heard of him or her
                            Would help the Opposition with the vote, if nothing else.

Comment

Worst rebels ever:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Steven_Sw...48900996247553

Comment

FT says Hammond/Morgan reckon they have a dozen Tory rebels for the amendment. I have to say, it puts the government in a terrible negotiating position by taking no deal off the table entirely (as a threat, rather than a consequence). If they hadn't shown themselves to be completely incapable of negotiating even with a free hand, I couldn't object to them saying no to it.

Comment

Must. Prop. Up. Zombie. Government. arrrrr

Comment

The government's heavily downgraded the threat though, hasn't it? May on Marr said "We could go for no deal - no deal is still there, it is still possible - but I think the best thing for the UK is to have a deal that sets a good relationship with our trading partners in the future."

Comment

Hilariously, babyface Brexit student, George Grimes, has been fined £20,000 personally. Vote Leave's campaign committee on the other hand included the following:

Liam Fox
                                      Iain Duncan Smith
                                      Dominic Raab
                                      Michael Gove
                                      Boris Johnson
                                      Steve Baker
                                      Chris Grayling
                                      Priti Patel
                                      Lord Lawson

Comment

Government defeat on the European Medicines Agency, 305-301. Big one next.

Comment

Reports that the rebels are being threatened with a general election if they don't back down on 18.

Comment

Nothing says general election like stagnant economy and being lower in the polls than they were when they failed to get a majority before.

Comment

Government lose the vote on European medicines amendment - by 4 votes.

Comment

Tories think they've won.

Comment

Government win by 6.

Comment

Government wants to say in the European Medicines Agency framework anyway. Not much of a defeat.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X