The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I am certainly not having a go and am grateful for your work in exposing this prick, but each new post entices me to read the whole twitter thread and it's a time sucker that then leaves a bad taste. A downer.
    No offense taken!

I enjoy seeing him taken down by eg Jonathan Portes. But I'm going to talk him into a CNN talking head role, if I don't shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Might get some proper forests for the Lake District (and Wales, and the aristo ravaged lands of upland Scotland) replacing the subsidized sheep ravaged wet deserts at least, seeing as the Leavers keep telling us to look on the bright side in the name of the National Interest.
      If my analysis of Boggis, Bunce and Bean’s tactical playbook is accurate we’ll be subjected to scorched earth first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Might get some proper forests for the Lake District (and Wales, and the aristo ravaged lands of upland Scotland) replacing the subsidized sheep ravaged wet deserts at least, seeing as the Leavers keep telling us to look on the bright side in the name of the National Interest.
        Quite, and we might go back to getting flooded all up to f*** once every 150 years instead of once every 10.

Comment

A concerted attack from the repulsive Daniel Hannan and the dumb but equally obnoxious Owen Paterson from the rabid Brexit right on the Good Friday agreement which has apparently "outlived its usefulness". They don't say why and the only reason I can see is that the return of a small border war will be necessary to justify further repression against non-Muslims.

Comment

Repulsive indeed. So what does Labour do?

Comment

They don't say why and the only reason I can see is that the return of a small border war will be necessary to justify further repression against non-Muslims.
              The reason is it's an obstacle to hard Brexit.

Comment

i guess this is also the consequence of being propped up by the DUP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  The reason is it's an obstacle to hard Brexit.
                  This. It’s the one thing that can’t be wished away with lies.

Comment

Something bad is going down. Seems a coordinated attempt by useful idiots and just plain ammoral bastards to undermine the GFA before it derails Hard Brexit. The ever delightful (and she has no excuse of not knowing the fire she is playing with) Hooey joining Hannan and Patterson tonight. Evil in a perm. The below is good on why the bastards are such evil unthinking complacent dangerous bastards. Die in a fucking fire yis Brexit cunts.

https://t.co/dFVp4F6bna?amp=1
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-02-2018, 21:56.

Comment

Hmm, you can whip up opposition to the GFA or you can downplay its importance, but if they actually try to walk away from it, then they'll have wasted their time making those battle of britain movies, when they should have been focusing more on making movies about the Battle of Carthage

Comment

Salt the fields of (London)Derry. It was an all UK vote dontcha know.

Comment

I see Davies is slapping down Berbaslug by suggesting that we won't have a Mad Max-style dystopia. That's how high the bar is currently set.

Comment

I was going to say that Senator George Mitchell is turning in his grave, but he's still alive.

Comment

The certainty that Britain’s plan, its blueprint for life outside of Europe, is a race to the top in global standards, not a regression from the high standards we have now, can provide the basis of the trust that means that Britain’s regulators and institutions can continue to be recognised.
                              This might be more convincing if a "race to the top" were actually a thing.

Comment

And it seems we're still playing the extortion card with regards to the exit payment, which I'm sure will make March's negotiations go well, just like it did when they floated this right after the "sufficient progress" accord. Davis, asked about this subject just now, dressed it up in nice words, so clearly the story is accurate.
                                Article 50 says that the withdrawal agreement has to take into account the future relationship, so you have to have the future relationship for that to happen. They are bound up in one, they’re not separate issues.

Comment

David Davis has insisted that Brexit “will not change the kind of country Britain is”

I for one believe him. After Brexit, Britain is still going to be a xenophobic, ignorant, failing, unequal shit hole run by tax-dodging psychopaths and 1930s nostalgists. Just a much, much poorer one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    And it seems we're still playing the extortion card with regards to the exit payment, which I'm sure will make March's negotiations go well, just like it did when they floated this right after the "sufficient progress" accord. Davis, asked about this subject just now, dressed it up in nice words, so clearly the story is accurate.
                                    We're also playing the "security" card, which isn't the most subtle either. Nice continent you have. Would be a shame if we didn't tell you about some suicide bombers.

Comment

Bloomberg is making much of Corbyn's latest comments on a customs union, but I'm not convinced it's a material change in policy or even messaging. Tubby will be pleased if I'm wrong though.

Comment

It's not being messaged very hard. No tweets on it.

In itself it sounds good. Let's see. He's always got the implications of Brexit better when talking about traditional industry than when talking about services.

Comment

Ha ha.

Owen Smith Retweeted

Wales For Europe • Cymru Dros Ewrop

Verified account

@WalesForEurope
                                          Feb 18
                                          More
                                          Welcomed news that @teamponty has backed our place in the EU #SingleMarket. Time for @UKLabour to take note.

The people voted for the "exact same benefits" and deserve #FullAndUnfettered access.

#Brexit
                                          I was surprised to see that Pontypridd constituency is likely to have voted Remain by a decent distance- the other two constituencies in the borough were big for Leave. I suppose Ponty is much more connected Cardiff than Cynon Valley and Rhondda.
                                          Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 20-02-2018, 18:09.

Comment

I just think when Corbyn says "a customs union" he does not necessarily mean what the EU means by "customs union". He means more or less what May means by "frictionless trade". He's probably more open to the hard border between NI and rumpUK that would be necessary absent a full UK customs union than May is though.

Comment

Corbyn did though say his "customs union" was the only thing that worked for the Irish Border. So that suggests he means what the EU do.

Comment

I think this is absolutely right by Labour. It's important that Labour isn't too far ahead of its Brexit voters. Let the Tories stew in their own contradictions and chaos. Make them show their incompetence daily. Hold things together. prepare to win an election that feels nearer.

I think public opinion is changing on brexit, and that's why the Tories and the press are employing the dead cat strategy

Comment

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/965990195161108480

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                    I think this is absolutely right by Labour. It's important that Labour isn't too far ahead of its Brexit voters. Let the Tories stew in their own contradictions and chaos. Make them show their incompetence daily. Hold things together. prepare to win an election that feels nearer.

I think public opinion is changing on brexit, and that's why the Tories and the press are employing the dead cat strategy
                                                    Don't think Labour Brexit voters were against the customs union, were they? It ought to have been easy for Labour. The Tories are the ones whose voters are going to fuss more about it, because they don't like the perception of Ireland pushing us about, and because the more libertarian ones want to be able to import any old shit that the EU wouldn't allow in.

The Single Market is the difficult one, because of the immigration implications. I think Labour need to be way further on, precisely because they aren't in government.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X