No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tubby. We're getting very close to the edge...

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      Labour aren't going to stop Brexit by waiting 3 years until an election which happens at the end of a transition period, 2 years after Britain has already left. They're never going to change the narrative around Brexit if they don't talk about it. Even though it appears that a majority of MPs want a moderate or no Brexit, if there's nobody in the Westminster bubble, nobody appearing on Andrew Marr or Question Time, mentioning the stuff Berba comments on on this page, then how is the conversation about staying in the Customs Union going to start? Are we just pinning our hopes on Ken Clarke and Phil Hammond? How desperately sad is that?
      I agree . Mcdonnelll was on Peston today saying Labour are respecting the mandate but must protect jobs wages and rights. that there needs to be in a form of customs union and not treat the EU as our enemy. I'm happy to listen to any tactical suggestions. of how a conservative party controlled by its right wing in Government, in the party and the press can be stopped and what Labour can do.
      for there to be any chance to stop Brexit Labour needs to come to power in the next nine months. I don't know how that can happen, but I see no alternative.

Comment

There is a danger of seeming to blame the voters in those constituencies who face the job losses rather than the Leave campaigners who lied to them. It's understandable that the blame game needs to be handled carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Nef, I think the Japanese were assured we weren't doing Hard Brexit. They've clocked now what's happening.
          Wasn't there a big announcement by one of the three car manufacturers saying they were going to increase investment etc quite soon after the Brexit vote? At the time we knew they'd been bribed so that's got to become public knowledge soon.

Comment

There was a guy on LBC saying he rather queue for food with a ration book than remain in the EU. He is not the only one. There is no point throwing facts at them, facts were on our side and the referendum was lost. Just wave your dick around, spout jingoistic crap, praise belief as a way to overcome obstacles and that’s all they need to stick to their Brexit....A large chunk of the Brexit vote is financially secure, probably is tumescent at the though of a bit of hardship (that won’t really affect them), for them Brexit is like WW2 and another chunk have no future anyhow.

This mix of masochism and/or refusal to take on board facts is why the polls are not changing much. Any sane voting population should have dispatched that ref back into Cameron’s rectum but we have gone long past dealing with sane people

Comment

When you've got a Tory MP responding to hard facts (not even conjecture) with "yadda yadda yadda" then the point of dealing with this rationally has long gone.

As an Irish Times article put it, we're beyond rational argument now. It's my tribe or your tribe.

Comment

There was a guy on LBC saying he rather queue for food with a ration book than remain in the EU.
                I'm more than happy for fucking morons like that to do so.
                What I don't understand is why they want everyone else to do it too?

Comment

There's certainly a hard-core of "black knight" Brexiteers being fed by the British government and Mail, Telegraph, Express, Sun and the BBC. but I think there are enough who are just trying to make a living who may be starting to realise what's involved. It's how to go about separating the latter from the former in time that is the challenge.

Comment

Either he is keen on it because his current life is shit and he is happy for others to join him (bit similar to non-unionised workers being shafted resenting unionised workers being less shafted – if I can’t get anything, why should you rather than if they can get something why should I not get something too...) or he is financially secure (not rich, just in a position to be able to tighten the belt without catastrophic consequences) and he thinks high minded ideals are worth more than others security. Most Brexiters I have interacted with and I know beyond being Brexiters are early retirees, mortgage paid, etc, etc

I’m tempted to add “typical baby boomer cunts”....but it’s unfair to those of that generation that do not behave that way....

Comment

Religion, football, Brexit: if your faith is strong enough, the facts don't matter.

Comment

Lord Digby Cunt wades in:

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/962820105360105472

Comment

He said we had trade deals "in the bag" a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                            https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/962976050908221440

Comment

Just testing I can embed properly, really. But depressing in its own right.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/962978699149799426

Comment

The background to this is that Migration Watch are claiming a million could move here in two years.

Strangely, they've refused to take up a bet with Jonathan Portes.

Comment

more or less the only thing we know about May is she doesn't like foreigners.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                    more or less the only thing we know about May is she doesn't like foreigners.
                                    Unless they work in corn fields.

Comment

She doesn't like them much if they do that. If it comes to it, the fruit rots.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattdrummer/status/962769009686007809

Comment

We don't get investment in this country. Consumers borrowing £7.7bn to buy imported tat is good enough for most of us.

Comment

Urs, not going to congratulate me on embedding my first tweet, then?

Comment

Comment

Thanks. I admit I can only do it by cutting and pasting somebody else's posts at the moment, but I'm getting there.

Anyhow.

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/963046398605357056

As a wise-ish man once said, "drawing on the talents of all to create British jobs for British workers". Shame he wasn't wise enough to stick to this line. And that Miliband wasted 5 years apologizing for it. We could have avoided Brexit, if nothing else.

Of course, we're still talking about lots of people being very hard up. Nobody should have been pulling out bubbly. But if it's down to the government, not immigrants, that makes a lot of difference.
                                                Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 12-02-2018, 14:53.

Comment

Pub bore leftist Austin Mitchell pops up to talk about The Real Issues. Gays, feminists and Brexit aren't The Real Issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...left-behind-eu

Great Grimsby was reckoned to be at risk from Mitchell retiring- his majority was 714. He was replaced by a Remainer, who promptly won by 4,500. Smaller majority in 2017, but she still got more than Tories and UKIP combined.

Comment

Gloating Remainers laughing at poor people feature in Mitchell's screed.

Republican Party Playbook.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X