The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Will farmers be the new sacred cow voting block after pensioners post-Brexit? The Welfare State has to be dismantled
    The welfare state, how quaint… what’s that again?

Hansard, the daily record of parliamentary debates, records that in the 1980s and 1990s, the phrase “the welfare state” was used on average around 170 times a year. By the mid-2000s, that had fallen to around 50. In the 1980s and 1990s, “social security” had around 2,000 mentions a year. By the mid-2000s, that was down to 370.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      Astonished he managed to earn that much money from a vacuum cleaner.
      Where there's muck there's brass... Tomas Brolin doesn’t seem to have done too badly either with his Twinnovation AB, a "revolutionary" vacuum cleaner nozzle according to this.

Comment

Tory wonk types would get rid of farm subsidies tomorrow, I expect. They don't need votes in rural areas at all, so they might cut more deeply than expected. Maybe they'll try and redirect to Pillar 2 type rural development.

Comment

What’s pillar 2 classification?

Comment

Under the CAP.

The six priorities for the new rural development policy for 2014-2020 are as follows:
            to promote knowledge transfer and innovation in agriculture and forestry (developing the knowledge base in rural areas; fostering links between agriculture, forestry and research);
            to increase the viability and competitiveness of all types of agriculture, promote innovative agricultural technologies and support sustainable forest management;
            to promote the organisation of the food production chain, animal welfare and risk management in farming;
            to restore, preserve and enhance agricultural and forest ecosystems (biodiversity, water and soil);
            to promote the efficient use of resources (water and energy) and support the transition to a low-carbon economy (renewable energy use, greenhouse gas emission reduction, carbon sequestration and storage);
            to promote social inclusion, poverty reduction and economic development (facilitating job creation, promoting local development and improving access to information and communication technologies).

Comment

Faisal Islam‏Verified account
              @faisalislam
              Big: David Davis announces Government has conceded to Withdrawal Bill amendments enshrining Exit Deal as statute - ie both Houses/ amendable

Comment

I mean, it's a minor victory for the rule of law, I guess, but it's completely meaningless as far as the exit deal itself goes.

Comment

At this rate it might be a confidence vote, after the clock's run out.

Comment

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/930113752975933447

"Audibly gasped". Why the hell did the penny only drop for them now?

Comment

The amount of wilful blindness surrounding the Brexit process is truly astonishing.

Comment

David Goodhart on the tweets today can’t see why the bloody Irish are making such a fuss over the border. There are technical solutions! That don’t exist yet, and have to be invented within a year. No need for physical trick checking!

He is a horrible horrible cunt. Him and Rob Ford should take a long hard look at themselves and what they are aligning with. Sensible Xenophobia isn’t a good look, somewhere anywhere fannies.

Comment

Lots of them are likely gasping at the cunningness of the plan. Unfortunately, it's less like a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University, and more like Dr Fox, Secretary of State for International Trade.

Comment

There are technical solutions! That don’t exist yet, and have to be invented within a yea
                            And it's not like HMRC has a history of fucking up IT projects or anything.

Comment

David Goodhart on the tweets today can’t see why the bloody Irish are making such a fuss over the border. There are technical solutions! That don’t exist yet, and have to be invented within a year. No need for physical trick checking!

He is a horrible horrible cunt. Him and Rob Ford should take a long hard look at themselves and what they are aligning with. Sensible Xenophobia isn’t a good look, somewhere anywhere fannies.
                              Matthew Goodwin is another who tolerates this rubbish.

Comment

Goodhart reveals why he's optimistic about technological solutions.

David Goodhart‏
                                @David_Goodhart
                                People I know in Brussels

Comment

Spoony, have you come across this goon?

Paul Embery‏
                                  @PaulEmbery
                                  Follow Follow @PaulEmbery
                                  More
                                  When people like me argued that an over-supply of labour, caused through EU free movement laws, depressed wages, Left-wing colleagues accused us of 'blaming migrants'.

We weren't. We were stating an obvious economic fact.

We are being proved right.
                                  He cites an article. There's a problem with it.

Declan Gaffney‏
                                  @djmgaffneyw4
                                  Follow Follow @djmgaffneyw4
                                  More Declan Gaffney Retweeted Paul Embery
                                  The subheading states 'Starting salaries rose in October at the second-quickest rate since November 2015.'

The second quickest rate.

Since November 2015.

Comment

No, I have not. Is he one of these brave outside the box thinkers as well?

I thought yer Uni profs were all paid up Remoaner Traitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                      Goodhart reveals why he's optimistic about technological solutions.
                                      Hannan, no doubt. Almost definitely a Brit anyway. Not a silly Paddy or Euroweenie.

Comment

No, I have not. Is he one of these brave outside the box thinkers as well?

I thought yer Uni profs were all paid up Remoaner Traitors.
                                        He's a fireman. Has some role with the FBU.

He keeps retweeting Spiked stuff about people being offended too much.

Comment

Fucking Spiked. Sky news love that poisonous Institute of Ideas eejit (can’t remember her name but she’s almost as awful as Brendan O’Neill. Fucking Trots, dunno if I hate the one that stayed left and rapey more than the ones that went right and became rape apologists in general.

Comment

Clare Fox?

Comment

Oh yes. Question Time seem to love her as well. I guess unsubstantiated polemic and racist pandering are what counts as good debate now.

Comment

I bet you like the sound of this article. I've taken the liberty of not providing the link.

Post-truth politics? Don’t be so patronising
                                                Why should people who vote with their hearts be dismissed as delusional?
                                                Claire Fox

Comment

Excuse me while I go headbutt the wall for an hour.

Comment

Agreement has been reached today on a new European defence alliance - naturally, Ireland has opted out, but can imagine the Brexiteers foaming at the mouth already:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-41971867

Comment

Working...
                                                    X