No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuckin knew it. No good or god in Henry’s shitpile kirk.

Comment

Jeremy Corbyn could use a key Brexit speech on Monday to pave the way for Labour to inflict a Commons defeat on the government, by backing a rebel Tory amendment seeking to keep Britain in “a customs union”.

With Theresa May expected to unveil her vision for departure from the EU next week, following eight hours of talks with key ministers at the prime minister’s Chequers country retreat, she now faces the prospect of Labour sabotaging the carefully choreographed process.

In what will be a closely watched speech, Corbyn is expected to signal that Labour is prepared to back the UK staying in a customs union with the EU.
      Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Henry’s shitpile kirk.
        A potential Viz story title strong enough to create false memories of having actually read it.

The CoE's role in national life is to seem silly and ineffectual. Trying to out-sinister the Mothership is a doomed enterprise.

Comment

Heh, does 'the mothership' refer to the Catholic church or the tory party there? Either works

Comment

FT reporting that Labour are going to try to thread the needle in a really tortuous way.

Labour will argue that the UK could have a unique customs union arrangement with the EU that would differ from current deals with non-member countries, such as Turkey. The EU’s agreement with Ankara is contentious because it forces the country to align its trade policy with the bloc but does not give it a vote on EU free trade deals. Also, it does not give Turkey automatic access to markets of EU trading partners.

The party believes — perhaps optimistically — that Britain could have a bilateral arrangement with Brussels under which the UK would have the same tariffs and quotas as the EU, but would have some say in how they were set.
            This is never going to happen unless the UK is a member state. And unlike other opposition policies that are never going to happen, it's not even a good campaigning tool. What do we want? Some input into tariff setting! When do we want it? At the end of an indefinite transitional period in which we are subject to the acquis!

Comment

I'd be surprised if, given the talks that Starmer etc have been having with Barnier and other member states, that any 'evolving' Labour proposal would be way out of line with what is possible/negotiable, that would be very silly.

'Unlike other oppostion policies that are never going to happen' - which ones?

Comment

I mean, that's just the nature of many policies that an opposition party proposes. You propose something that sounds good and provides a sharp contrast to the ruling party. Very often, it gets quietly dropped or heavily watered down if the opposition gains power. For Labour, currently, I'd put the nationalisation programme in that category, at least in its maximalist form.

Comment

I wouldn't describe Stephen Bush as a Sensible. He's too reality-based for that (and pretty much the only reason for reading the New Statesman)

Comment

Pretty unambiguous statement by Hunt re customs union, of any kind...

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                      I wouldn't describe Stephen Bush as a Sensible. He's too reality-based for that (and pretty much the only reason for reading the New Statesman)
                      Yes, he is good.

Comment

Vauxhall CLP turns on Hoey

See, party members calling their MPs to account is a good thing.

Comment

Do you think they'll deselect her? Or she might retire before next GE (she'd be 76 in 2022)

Comment

It's really hard to deselect, but worth a go. I don't know anyone in Vauxhall CLP so hard to know how things are aligned.

Comment

I don't know what changed afterwards, but there were a few deselections in 1992. The "militant two", plus a few others where the beef with their CLPs was more personal that anything, not taking hints to retire. I think Field was in trouble, but helped by the leadership.

Comment

Bob Wareing got deselected in the late Blair years too

Comment

With leadership help, I presume? Blair personally blocked Liz Davies, Mike Marquese's partner, from being a candidate too.

In other news.

More
                                  Environment Secretary Michael Gove has confirmed the Government wants to ban plastic straws but says there is "some concern" EU laws could prevent it

Comment

It's that 'race to the top' David Davis was trying to pretend to be interested in the other day.

Comment

Yeah, the one that Patrick Minford built into his Brexit model.

Comment

Could Hoey join the DUP?

A Westminster MP has done that in the recent past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew...sh_politician)

Comment

I wish she fucking would. Long overdue

Comment

This is who Vauxhall had before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Holland

Lots of interesting stuff there.

Comment

You could try fielding a candidate in BT North. Then as soon as Hoey breaks cover to support Dodds, kick her out

Comment

Ha ha. Before he fucked off to the DUP, Andrew Hunter got within 900 votes of losing Basingstoke.

Labour could be competitive there in the next election, with a Brexit clusterfuck and promises to improve trains.

Comment

We're wooing all the right people. Except that we're not, even this lot know we're mad.

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/967049931713404928

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                    Do you think they'll deselect her? Or she might retire before next GE (she'd be 76 in 2022)
                                                    The old crone is certainly getting dogs abuse on Twitter...
                                                    Deservedly so in her case.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X