No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's too cakey, but it's certainly fair comment that it's pandering to racism. Unfortunately, the two frontbenches are doing it more and chucking in other unnecessary red lines to make things even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
      Lexit survives when people like Clegg keep giving them ammo.
      There's Lexit and Lexit, but I don't think generally that Lexiters are committed to EU freedom of movement. There's the argument that it helps employers reduce wages, plus the argument that it discriminates against not EU workers. Plus, the sovereignty argument, of course, which was big with Tony Benn.

Comment

I've just realised what Brexit is missing. Half and half Union Jack/European Flag scarves.

Comment

Jeez.

Sky News are better than BBC, and Ed Conway did a typically good explanation of why the Brexit dividend is bollocks. So what's next? A discussion involving somebody from the Institute of Economic Affairs.

Comment

The money announced today by the prime minister is not enough to save our NHS after eight years of Conservative austerity.

Although she confirmed the current situation is not sustainable, today’s figures represent little more than a standstill in funding, according to experts.

People are waiting longer and in pain because of Tory cuts to the NHS. The prime minister couldn’t say today when this will improve and waiting lists will come down.

She also confirmed that social care, capital spending and public health will not see any increase as a result of today’s announcement.

If the Conservatives do manage to publish the detail of their insufficient 3.4% increase, then Labour’s fully costed plans to raise taxes for the top 5% and big business will top up NHS spending growth to around the 5% which is needed.
            From Jon Ashworth. What's missing in this? Clue in the thread title.

Sure, don't bore everyone to death about Brexit but but but. Still not joining the dots for the Labour leave voters and Tory/Labour swing voters who matter.

This was apparently sent to the Guardian. Obviously, I'll retract if there's a bit like I want that's been omitted.

Comment

Did anyone ever bring a court case to point out that the GFA requires that any constitutional change in Northern Ireland needs the support of a majority of the community, and a legal treaty with another country, trumps a non binding referendum?

Comment

The "Grieve amendment" is happening in the Lords. It's not going particularly well for the government by the sound of it. Lord Robathan, a recently ennobled Tory MP, was posing a ludicrous question to Viscount Hailsham (formerly Douglas Hogg MP) about whether it was his intention to "destroy Brexit". Cue a weary voice off camera (but likely from the Tory side) "You are an idiot".

Leading for the government is awful Policy Exchange bullshitter Baroness Natalie Evans. She pushed the strange position that Grieve himself doesn't support his own amendment, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                  There's Lexit and Lexit, but I don't think generally that Lexiters are committed to EU freedom of movement. There's the argument that it helps employers reduce wages, plus the argument that it discriminates against not EU workers. Plus, the sovereignty argument, of course, which was big with Tony Benn.
                  The Communists I've argued about this with in the past are legitimate open borders types.

Comment

Peers have voted for the new “meaningful vote” amendment by 354 votes to 235 - a majority of 119.

Last time when peers defeated the government on the “meaningful vote” issue 335 peers backed Viscount Hailsham, while 244 didn’t, and the majority was 91. Now it is significantly bigger.
                    Indeed it didn't go well for the government.

Comment

"Grieve II" on Wednesday in the Commons.

Comment

Ha ha.

Lord Bilimoria, a crossbencher, intervenes. He says [Baroness] Evans has said the Hailsham amendment would undermine the government’s negotiating position. But the European parliament will have to approve the deal too, he says. He says no one is saying that will undermine the EU’s negotiating position.

Evans ignores his point.
                        I bet she ignored it. Policy Exchange/ free schools hack.

Comment

Couple of new Tory rebels created by their antics, which might be a good sign for the Commons vote.

Comment

The March for a People's Vote is this Saturday.

I'll be there, but don't let that put you off.

Comment

Not very optimistic article on the meaningful vote amendment.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-bill-vote-mps

There's reckoned to be 9 Labour MPs voting with the government/abstaining, so 14 Tory rebels needed. That's too many.

Comment

what is this meaningful vote amendment bollocks? when the time comes it will be simply a vote on whether to accept whatever ruinous deal the EU are offering, or ultrahard immediate no deal brexit.

Comment

If the Government doesn't have a deal by a certain date, the UK Parliament gets to determine what sort of Brexit deal it would like. It's what should have happened at the very start, long before anybody thought about activating Article 50.

The EU can say fuck off to it, so it might not be all that meaningful.

Comment

Latest edifying development from hardballing Government.

Lewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall
                                    Labour source confirms that a "handful" of Labour MPs are being rufused convention of being voted through "on the nod" as a result of their illness: "It's inhumane and shows how desperate they are. Trying to make it s as difficult for ill MPs as possible."
                                    1:25 PM - Jun 20, 2018
                                    As I understand it, MPs have to be in the Commons to vote- I can remember John Major calling in Julian Critchley who had prostate cancer. I assume Labour didn't insist on Critchley walking through the lobbies (he was on crutches, as a result of having had polio).

Comment

Apparently the government also tried to scupper the latest meaningful vote amendment by bundling it up with others that wouldn't pass. But Grieve got a standalone amendment inserted.

Comment

Ah, the convention is that MPs can be "nodded through" as present to vote if they're in a car/ambulance in the grounds of Parliament. So that would be a big change. 2 Labour MPs are apparently hospitalized.

Isn't there a case for MPs to vote in absentia? Doesn't the health service have better things to do than transport MPs and sit around outside Parliament?

Comment

Government so untrusted, it's having to leverage Bercow into avoiding a rebellion by its own MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                            Ah, the convention is that MPs can be "nodded through" as present to vote if they're in a car/ambulance in the grounds of Parliament. So that would be a big change. 2 Labour MPs are apparently hospitalized.

Isn't there a case for MPs to vote in absentia? Doesn't the health service have better things to do than transport MPs and sit around outside Parliament?
                                            The Callaghan government eventually fell in such circumstances (wiki):

On 28 March 1979 the government faced a knife-edge vote of no confidence when [Alfred] Broughton was on his death bed. Broughton's doctors were extremely concerned for him and strongly advised him not to travel. Although he was willing to come down to vote, Prime Minister James Callaghan decided it would be obscene to ask him to do so, in case he died during the ambulance journey. In the event, the government lost by one vote; had Broughton been present, it would have survived. Broughton died five days later, aged 76.

Comment

The Tory whip, Bernard Weatherill, offered himself to make the pair with Broughton, believing it to be a matter of honour after discussing with his Labour counterpart whether pairing applied to matters of confidence. The Labour whip was so impressed that he released Weatherhill from having to do so, since it would have been career suicide.

Comment

Tory "rebels" cave. I am shocked and stunned

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                                  Tory "rebels" cave. I am shocked and stunned
                                                  Including Grieve himself.

Comment

And yet the attack from the “centre “ will remain relentlessly targeted at Corbyn whilst the spineless Grieve & Morgan back the far right extremists in their own party.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X