No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corbyn’s programme will only have a chance of happening IF THERE ‘S a LABOUR GOVERNMENT! That’s why a general election is the most important thing.

Comment

You see Tubby that’s what I don’t really get. you seem to want labour to help Theresa May get the deal she wants On the basis that the only way there will be funds to implement any of labour’s programme. But if Labour help Theresa May get the deal she wants there a very strong chance they won’t get elected.

Comment

I'm not suggesting they help May. I'm worried there are some Labour MPs who want to do so. I'm just saying that if you can't force a general election, stop talking about one and make as strong a case you can for the Single Market and put pressure on May like that.

Comment

The thing I don't get with the General Election is that you need a Brexit policy for it. We need that Brexit policy now.

Comment

Maybe you can force a general election. May is on morally very weak ground on the 5 year fixed term parliament because she didn't respect it herself.

I would be focussing on trying to make the country ungovernable, given how much is being neglected.
            Grenfell 79 people burned to death.
            Homelessness
            Police Cuts
            Tory councils no longer fulfilling basic services.
            etc etc

meanwhile.

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1053764830342078464

Comment

Ha ha.

Is that another sighting of the sheriff from Blazing Saddles?

I'm edging towards you on the possibility they force themselves into a general election.

Comment

I don’t understand the force an election thing at all. She could hang on as zombie pm just as easy as be removed after this turns shitstorm.

Not sure enough people care about the stuff you mentioned above the 42 percent you’ve already got. There’s no revolution time coming from the left.

Comment

maybe not. but 42 percent polling is very high for Labour. The point is the Tories scooped up all the UKIP and former BNP votes. Can they hold onto them is the question?

Comment

Unbelievable. Btw, the 1% is complete bollocks. Nearer 4.

And as others say there, tell us how big fishing is.

https://twitter.com/RuthLeaEcon/status/1053207085939376128

Comment

More of that British Establishment Genius on Ireland. It's part of the "UK Single Market".

Comment

Live stream from the Brexit negotiations

Comment

With regards to the worries about such events as yesterday's march being too concentrated on the already-converted and the urban classes etc., well yes, but the idea that campaigning for a second referendum is going to change many minds in Doncaster or Grimsby is, in my opinion, optimistic in the extreme. These places may dutifully continue voting in (with reduced majorities) their Labour MPs but on the subject of the EU a considerable proportion of the electorate stand firm with Mogg and co.

What would be more effective from my point of view is to engage those young people, students etc. who didn't vote last time out of ennui, or simply over-confidence, and get them demanding a second vote.

Remain support, by the way, would also gain a considerable boost from Britons living in EU countries, where many FB groups, such as Bremain in Spain and the Romanian one mentioned up-thread, have been set up to put pressure on the government. Many of these people are suddenly realising the vast swathe of disadvantages associated with UK's exit, not least those who depend on their pensions which are subject to the worsening exchange rates between sterling and the euro.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            Remain support, by the way, would also gain a considerable boost from Britons living in EU countries, where many FB groups, such as Bremain in Spain and the Romanian one mentioned up-thread, have been set up to put pressure on the government. Many of these people are suddenly realising the vast swathe of disadvantages associated with UK's exit, not least those who depend on their pensions which are subject to the worsening exchange rates between sterling and the euro.
                            With the possible exception of those who have retired to the Costas, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us already knew what a fucking disaster this would be. Many of us, however, don't get a vote.

Comment

The problem with the March - in one Tweet

https://twitter.com/dminghella/status/1053754444985327621?s=21

Comment

or to put it another way

https://twitter.com/entschwindet/status/1053923914160726016

Comment

Who does he want to stand alongside instead?

Comment

His first point in the thread was this

https://twitter.com/entschwindet/status/1053923073567657984

Comment

Not sure that's an answer

Comment

You'd probably have to ask him. I suspect he'd rather be part of a group that was more politicised more organised not so white and not so full of twee slogans.

Comment

Obviously a lot of the signs are shit; the Sunday Times front page today uses a photo of two examples that do more to demolish the march's credibility than a 2000 word opinion piece could. But tweeness is mainstream culture now; the baking and ballroom dancing rubbish is everywhere, not hidden away on BBC4. You wouldn't have to cherry pick Murphy's words too much to produce an alternative interpretation that he's an out of touch elitist who's got the hump because the march didn't more closely resemble the Anton Corbijn Atmosphere video.

Comment

Starmer's doing some sterling work.
                                            https://twitter.com/Corbynator2/stat...52771454578688
                                            Last edited by johnr; 21-10-2018, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              You'd probably have to ask him. I suspect he'd rather be part of a group that was more politicised more organised not so white and not so full of twee slogans.
                                              There were, of course, no "twee slogans" on the sainted Feb 2003 march. Nary a one. Also definitely no white liberals, and no mainstream media sponsorship.

Comment

Eh?

Comment

The march yesterday (which I went on, incidentally) was almost exclusively white Liberals with twee slogans. I'm sure they are a component of most marches. But I saw no Trade Union banners. or organisational banners - a few liberal and Labour Party vonsituencies Almost no BAME people. Very few young people except kids marching with their parents. none of those things were true in 2003

Comment

Most of all what was lacking was any analysis or suggestion of what the next steps might be.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X