X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falklands getting more attention from Galicia than London at present:

http://en.mercopress.com/2018/10/12/...ort-in-galicia

Comment

I'm not a frequent Brexit poster, but I was forwarded this article on the Foreign Office and their struggles with Brexit and thoughgt it may be of use. I think it's an excellent read - very FCO-heavy, but still.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/m...SAQv0N-jKi9ryQ

Comment

Thank you, VT

It may be related to my time at Foggy Bottom, but I found that as interesting as it was depressing.

There are definite echoes of what is currently happening at State, but the idea of the FCO perhaps becoming “a consultancy like PWC” is several shades darker than the blackest humor I’ve seen over here.

Comment

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...plan-1-4814781

Centrist journos dream Tory leader Good Old Ruth backs Arlene and the red lines of Ulster brigade. Scottish Tory unionism more and more resembling Nordie but with the sectarian turned down to dog whistle.

Guess she can’t take the prospect of a precedent for Scotland to get a way out of the economic shitwinds.

Comment

I dunno, Davidson and Mundell are remainers. They're using unionism to put pressure on for the softest of brexits, not a Sammy Wilson style burn it all down.

Comment

That commitment to gay rights is very.... flexible isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                That commitment to gay rights is very.... flexible isn’t it?
                Aye, Ruthie's going bi-bye

Comment

Current top headline on the FT: "Theresa May plays for time on Brexit agreement"

That's going to be her epitaph, isn't it?

Comment

The epitaph will be "Theresa May still playing for time on Brexit agreement"

Comment

The Tory psyche doesn't seem to lend itself to anything more nuanced than shameless quitting or endless self-mortification, does it?

Comment

Tusk doesn't mince his words:

http://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1052201396315901954

Comment

Can the German speakers of OTF give a rough translation of the article included here?

http://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1052259398763114496

Comment

This bright Idea that the UK govt have of continually trying to use the Northern Ireland backstop to try to get what they want, must be boiling the Piss over all the EU govts and the commission.

Comment

On TV about 30 mns ago (can’t remember which channel), Mordaunt and Raab: "The EU has rejected our Backstop plan but we will stand firm on this and continue to etc."

This is the Brexit equivalent of "When abroad, if Johnny Foreigner doesn’t understand you, talk LOUDER", isn’t it?

Comment

Pm fer berba

Comment

DR, Islam's summary is accurate and quite complete.

There aren't any real details or quotes.

Comment

Reports of Barnier offering a two-tier backstop (UK in CU, NI in CU and SM), transition extended until 2021.

Comment

Won't an extended transition period merely extend the torture?

Comment

I always assumed that everyone's long game was to "play for time" and "extend the transition period" indefinitely, until almost everyone who voted for Brexit is dead and we can sneak back in without too much complaint.

Comment

Or they are out of Parliament, whichever comes first

Comment

Yeah but it'll be be hanging around like a corpse without a coffin for another... what three years? Its stench will stick to everyone who's unfortunate enough to be in parliament for that period. From what I can tell almost anyone who isn't Boris Johnson is utterly sick of the entire business and wishes it would just go away. Now.

Comment

Johnson can’t wait that long and will therefore have to manufacture another excuse for a leadership challenge.

Assuming he loses (or wins, but costs them the majority) SB’s plan goes into motion.

Comment

OK, but in the meantime it's not going to do wonders for the UK economically is it? I mean investing in a waterlogged ship is almost as bad as investing in one that's just torpedoed itself.

Comment

It's not great, but it's less disastrous than leaving would be.

Comment

Of course, but none of the available options are going to do wonders for the UK economy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X