No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, the least terrible outcome would be for full Single Market and CU membership for all the U.K, that’s not this deal.

Comment

Fair enough. I thought that's what this backstop effectively was.

Comment

Yeah, EEA membership is the best non-Remain outcome. But then we couldn't keep out those durn furriners.

Comment

Fair enough. I thought that's what this backstop effectively was.
          Not remotely. It more or less keeps us in the single market for goods (though the reporting I've seen suggests there may be some non-tariff barriers), but financial services, for example, are almost entirely treated as if the UK were a third country under existing rules. Same will be true for many other service industries (it's just less of an issue for the UK economy).

Comment

Cabinet meeting running long, apparently. Presumably it's not going smoothly.

Comment

Could be a few people later saying "You should have seen me in there".

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                Knock Knock open Wide, See what's on the other side,
                Knock Knock any more, come with me through the Magic Door.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  Knock Knock open Wide, See what's on the other side,
                  Knock Knock any more, come with me through the Magic Door.
                  Uafásach!

Comment

Brussels meeting over:

http://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1062764985485541376

Comment

Fail at the first hurdle i reckon...

Comment

Tory Laura confidentially tipping that Graham Brady's pile of letters has reached the magic number.

Comment

Sterling going swimmingly:

http://twitter.com/PhilAldrick/status/1062777384271822848

Comment

Looks like there will be white smoke imminently.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              Corbyn demanding to know whether the UK parliament can unilaterally withdraw from the backstop. Sure sounds like a remainer...
                              Wanting to know the nature of a deal with Government has reached in negotiations which it’s not declaring and exposing the fractures in its own party.Seems exactly the right thing the leader of the Opposition should be doing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1062688237171433472?s=21

Comment

Cabinet backs deal. Tellingly May said "this deal.....or no deal.....or no Brexit".

Comment

Tubby’s pal Kevin Hague raising my blood pressure again. No point in May talking to obstructive Sturgeon before the Cabinet meeting as silly Nicola would have nothing constructive to say. Even the fucking Gibraltar gov has seen the proposed agreement while Scotland can go hang. But that’s fine cos “UK single market” or something.

Comment

I hope his fuckin dog food business goes bust after March. Though that’s prob what the Jocks will be fed on their rations.

Comment

Crispin Blunt has just been on the radio and said that once we leave with No Deal, the EU will come begging to us because of the hole blown in their budget and because we hold the upper hand in trade tariffs.

This is what we're dealing with.

How does he even manage to put his trousers on in the morning?

Comment

This is why a month of No Deal chaos would be useful before a swift return to the negotiating table...and sign up for EEA+

Comment

Idiot sensible Chris Deerin seems to be saying this shitpoke deal is the best reflection of the Ref result cos of the FoM redline or something. Does the nyaff even realize what will happen to the U.K. economy without being in the single market for services (let alone Scotland without free movement)?

Comment

Has fluffy Mundell actually resigned from Cabinet then, or was that Strongly Worded Letter on behalf of the fuckin People of the Fish and the possible dog whistle to the dwindling but core Loyalist Jock Tory vote the full extent of his rebellion?

Comment

I remember reading a strategy review of the French govt about Brexit, shortly after the referendum indicating how they were willing to give a few things like CU or even SM and dump FoM as long as financial services/services were excluded.

Comment

When London and Leeds and Manchester and Edinburgh and Glasgow are gutted of jobs I’m sure we’ll all rejoice we stood our ground against letting the foreign types settle here.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X