The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    I don't know what you mean by that but it really doesn't read well.
    It means that Corbyn's supposed-radicalism would be bog standard centre-right policies in Germany and thus be very welcome, acceptable and advantageous to the better functioning of the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
      His opposition to the EU is longstanding, and of record.

His inaction on trying to represent Labour remainers (i.e. erm, me, for example) is longstanding, and of record.

He couldn't give less of a shit, Nef. If he did, he'd be standing across the aisle giving it with both barrels. He's not.
      I re-read this, and found no evidence for the assertion. I'm still struggling to find any. I asked an FBPE mate where he gets it from, and it ruened out that during the referendum, Corbyn's team were unresponsive to doing an interview at 6.30am in the morning so HE MUST HATE THE EU and other staple cockrot from North London meejar dinner parties. You do need to remember that the people who did the work of putting this about would also have you belioeve he was personally anti-semitic too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        He’s not trying to get your vote though, is he?
        No, but if the plan is to change tack at the last direction, it's really important to be laying the ground work. Labour have been fucking pathetic.

And I appreciate that Labour have to be in govt, but there's no point in opposing on all the bits that no-one is talking about, and remaining silent on the major political event since the fucking war. As far as I can see, the only possible issue on which labour could conceivably defeat the govt, and perhaps precipitate an election is by proposing a second referendum on the final deal. There's got to be enough Tories prepared to go for that, over hard brexit suicide.

Because if he's waiting for the tories to fall apart and call an election of their own accord then he's sorely mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
          I re-read this, and found no evidence for the assertion. I'm still struggling to find any. I asked an FBPE mate where he gets it from, and it ruened out that during the referendum, Corbyn's team were unresponsive to doing an interview at 6.30am in the morning so HE MUST HATE THE EU and other staple cockrot from North London meejar dinner parties. You do need to remember that the people who did the work of putting this about would also have you belioeve he was personally anti-semitic too.
          He wanted a referendum in 2012. He was talking about voting to leave in the Labour leadership campaign in 2015, until somebody told him to knock that on the head if he wanted to win. He didn't show up for prime time TV debates during the referendum. Tony Benn told him 40 years ago the EU was a capitalist plot, and he's never engaged with it properly.

He's certainly got better, and would be doing a much better job than the government, but there's more than enough for people to look at and distrust him over.

Comment

You literally just called him Jezza in your post immediately above mine.( to Toby)

“Counterpoint: Jezza wants us out of the EU anyway and is more than happy to not obstruct, if not enable, that happening. “
            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 21-09-2018, 19:23.

Comment

I think he meant the FBPE bit.

Comment

I don't even know what FBPE is. Obviously I should given that I'm being lumped in with whoever these people are.

Comment

Ha ha. The EU hadn't thought Brexit could be cancelled before.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1043156776521277440

Comment

Are you not on twitter, Toby? Thousands of people (usually centre-leftists) have FBPE as part of their twitter handles. Officially it means Follow Back Pro Europe, unofficially it means Fuck Brexit Pro Europe. It includes lots of really good progressive people and lots of smug twats.

Comment

I'm not on twitter, no. I can well believe the smug twats bit, like.

Comment

You will respect my authoriteh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45603192

Comment

She's a fucking idiot. But we knew that.

Comment

I'm sure that the 27 find this abject act to be annoying, but would be surprised if any of them really take it seriously.

It does provide fuel for anti-British demagoguery, though, which is just what the UK needs in it's current situation

Comment

Where are you likely to come across that?

Comment

Not buying that.

It's not just that the government are mucking up. There's been plenty this week that ought to be a positive boost to Labour. The government migration report found no evidence for loads of anti-immigration rubbish. A car company has gone on a three day week. London's lost its top spot as a finance centre. The PM sent the pound diving with a silly speech.

Why don't you go in the studio and push your positive case for the Single Market/Customs Union?

Comment

It appears to have gone down well in Fleet Street (apologies for the anachronism):

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1043246540469534720

Comment

This is a cracking article. Sorry if it's been posted before.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                      Not buying that.

It's not just that the government are mucking up. There's been plenty this week that ought to be a positive boost to Labour. The government migration report found no evidence for loads of anti-immigration rubbish. A car company has gone on a three day week. London's lost its top spot as a finance centre. The PM sent the pound diving with a silly speech.

Why don't you go in the studio and push your positive case for the Single Market/Customs Union?
                                      See the front pages above.

Comment

That whole rant was just a front to impress the Mogg-moppets. It was entirely laughable and totally unconvincing and she looked awkward and uncomfortable doing it. The 27 had already told her she couldn't stay in their gang if she wasn't going to stick to the code. That was the bit where she began to cry, they began to point and laugh and she pissed her pants and told them they were all horrid and smelly and she never wanted to be in their gang in the first place.

Comment

If UK officials read Tony Connelly's regular updates on both RTE and Twitter, then they'd have a better idea of what exactly would and would not be acceptable to Brussels:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and...ic-misreading/

Comment

But as the newspapers above show -it makes no difference whatsoever. Apparently there were only two bbc journalists present and no questions

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Where are you likely to come across that?
                                              Switch me on and I'll give you all the anti-British demagoguery you like. Every day I loathe patriotism just a little bit more. It's a secular religion, and its extremist version, nationalism, is every bit as toxic as religious extremism. And I think that patriotism shades into nationalism far more easily than 'everyday' religion shades into extremism.

...and pour several hog lagoons worth of pig shit down on the heads of the millions of economically vulnerable people in the Uk.

Universal Credit is already doing this, and gets nowhere near the attention that Brexit does. Labour are pretty shit on UC, as it happens.

My friend and I were talking about starting to stockpile food last night. Anyone else thinking about Brexit preparations? Really worried about access to meds.

I'm still fixated on the statistic that the worst case economic projections for Brexit are dwarfed by the cost of Trident, and no-one is talking about that at all.

Comment

Hmm, the only scenario that meets the six tests is full fucking EU membership. It's very late in the day to mention the six tests. We should have been hearing a lot more about this.
                                                It's been policy for well over a year, and has been the basis of Labour's opposition in the Commons, and on the airwaves.

Comment

As far as I can see, the only possible issue on which labour could conceivably defeat the govt, and perhaps precipitate an election is by proposing a second referendum on the final deal. There's got to be enough Tories prepared to go for that, over hard brexit suicide.
                                                  I don't think there are.

Comment

Right, but it is abundantly clear at this point, that even leaving the Single market and customs union is going to blow a massive fucking hole in the UK economy, crater Govt revenues, and pour several hog lagoons worth of pig shit down on the heads of the millions of economically vulnerable people in the Uk. It would be very easy to simply say that at this point, it is abundantly clear that the promises of the leave side have turned out to be utter nonsense. The Govt are completely incapable of literally anything, let alone negotiating with anyone, and now that we've stared into the nightmarish Economic abyss, we need to have a second referendum. It's time to see what the will of the people is now that everyone is better informed about issues of cake metaphysics.

"The referendum made that decision" makes me think that people who expect labour to change course, and avert disaster are seriously mistaken. He simply doesn't get it. He doesn't realize what is coming. I've been remarkably patient with Corbyn, and cut him a lot of slack given the difficulty of the position of leader of the labour party. But the man is a dangerous idiot. There's a lot of it around. But it's important right now, for the sake of fucking everyone, that the leader of the Labour party isn't a wooly headed fool.
                                                    You're back to Corbyn again, when my post was about Starmer. And for your analysis to work, it would mean that the latter is a woolly-headed fool too. I don't think that's the case.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X