No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK red lines are fucking up doing a decent trade deal, but do they rule out an aviation deal as well? I don't know much about this.

I don't say it would carry on exactly as it is now, but I dunno, just seems like full on grounding would be a bit full on in a very conspicuous way.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
      Who can argue with his "everyone knowledgeable"?

Comment

The euro could well be above 90p again by the weekend:

https://xe.com/currencyconverter/con...rom=EUR&To=GBP

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          What would Labour recommend in it?
          I think we'll have to see - if Labour are in power doing the negotiating by then, it's a very different scenario. As you may remember from 100's of pages back, I've been a 'let's get as soft a Brexit as possible (as disastrous as that in itself is), then Labour stand on the following election on rejoining as soon as we can' sort of fella.

Comment

It would certainly be much better if Labour were negotiating. I was thinking of the sort of situation Justine Greening was proposing, where the referendum would be put forward as a means of resolving the Parliamentary stalemate, without a general election. I don't know myself if I'd call for Remain or Soft Brexit, so I accept it's not easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
              The UK red lines are fucking up doing a decent trade deal, but do they rule out an aviation deal as well? I don't know much about this.

I don't say it would carry on exactly as it is now, but I dunno, just seems like full on grounding would be a bit full on in a very conspicuous way.
              Think about it this way. if the UK is leaving with a no deal brexit, they will have a) welched on their debt to the EU. b) not protected the EU's citizens in a way that the EU would like and c) lead to a hard border on the island of Ireland. I would expect a lot of things to change.

Comment

If you thought we were fucked before...

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1020034990569066497

Comment

That isn't much of a development. Though it won't help that NI looks like it's going into recession.

Comment

Of course it's a development. She's publicly tearing up the backstop she agreed in December so that talks could progress

https://twitter.com/PeterKGeoghegan/status/1020040038740971521

Comment

Are we headed for No Deal then?

Comment

looks increasingly like it

https://twitter.com/OfficeGreenJean/status/1019915710024298501

meanwhile the trump threads and the Brexit threads are moving closer together...

https://twitter.com/prgarnett/status/1020052287304224769

Comment

David Davis ages ago said that what was agreed in December wasn't really agreed. I don't know if he had to walk that back, but I can't remember it.

I suppose it's a bit different for the PM to say it standing on a stage like this.

Comment

The VAT thing could be even worse that it first looked to me. This bloke campaigns against VAT fraud, so probably knows what he's talking about.

Richard Allen RAVAS
                            ‏@TheRising_Moon
                            6h6 hours ago
                            More
                            UK government will allow a VAT evaders charter in case of no deal Brexit. HMRC will be unable to collect import VAT due to the huge volume of parcels. Expect industrial levels of VAT evasion on goods sold to UK consumers by mail. UK retail will suffer

Comment

A bit of light relief, courtesy of Alan Beattie. The big building in the middle is the European Commission building. You'll notice the big red pin by a restaurant serving Argentinian steaks.

The significance of this is that Daniel Hannan the other day said the EU banned Argentinian beef.

Comment

A shit ton of US - EU transatlantic flights cross UK airspace. Not to mention the vast majority of Ireland - EU flights.

I honestly don't see Ireland banning UK flights overflying Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                  A shit ton of US - EU transatlantic flights cross UK airspace. Not to mention the vast majority of Ireland - EU flights.

I honestly don't see Ireland banning UK flights overflying Ireland.
                                  It was a misinterpretation of Gavan Reilly's tweet - Leo was referring to the EU Open Skies agreement and EASA, rather than solely Irish airspace, and in any event, it appears a Chicago Convention governs overflights, so even with no deal, Ireland and the UK could overfly each other's space, just not land at airports therein.

Comment

Barnier press conference live now - key point is that he wants backstop discussions next week with the UK.

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44890199

Leadsom says Chequers plan is "final offer".

She can't be long in the Cabinet, can she?

Comment

Priti Patel MP
                                        ‏@patel4witham
                                        ‘Yesterday’s debate was dominated by people who have never run complex supply chains who were unwilling to accept they work fine with non EU as well as with EU parts’. Well said @johnredwood
                                        Non-EU suppliers are just supposed to spring up, are they?

How does she explain Airbus etc?

Comment

It's really depressing how stupid this whole backstop thing is. Really depressing. The DUP are so fucking stupid. Theresa May is so fucking stupid. The whole British Govt is stupid. These people have no idea what they're lining themselves up for.

Northern Ireland is going to go into recession the next time figures are announced. The GDP of Ireland grew by 7.2% last year, or our GNP grew by 4.4% (which is closer to the real growth rate) What is the fucking point of Northern Ireland? What is in it for Unionists?

Comment

Michel Barnier dismisses Theresa May's Brexit white paper demands

EU’s Brexit negotiator raises concerns over smuggling, red tape and putting European companies at a competitive disadvantage
                                            I like his style, attacking the Tories for "red tape".

Comment

The idiocy is strong with this one:

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrew_li...31187452162048

Comment

Are you trying to force my blood pressure up?

Comment

Chris Philp MP bullshitting about Ireland being aked to "vote again".

He's also trying to make out that Vote Leave cheating doesn't matter because the government put out an expensive leaflet.

Comment

Gary Younge on fine form as usual

It’s never their fault: why the Brexiteers love to cry betrayal

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Working...
                                                    X