The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here: https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/07...dup-sinn-fein/

Meanwhile, the Dáil has signed up for PESCO - perhaps more a pooling of resources than anything else, but all rather rushed through.

Comment

Are we still in there? Not kicked out yet? What's are tactic, keep telling the EU how nice their coffee is?

Comment

Every body rumouring a deal has been done that the EU (and therefore Ireland) and the Uk can sign up to. Whether it includes the DAY YOU PAY is another matter,

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
          Every body rumouring a deal has been done that the EU (and therefore Ireland) and the Uk can sign up to. Whether it includes the DAY YOU PAY is another matter,
          Not yet, t'would appear:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MargSchin...54542782984193

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalisl...68798207287296

Comment

Latest from RTE is that frantic discussions are reaching a climax, and a conclusive verdict can be expected by early tomorrow morning.

Comment

I’ve come on my knee.

Comment

Laura Kuenssberg, thankfully, suggests DUP MPs, but not yet the NI members, are on board:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak...84187863568384

Comment

But the Duppers at WM are the proper crazies. Which should bode well. Unless Arlene is full on biting the carpet crazy noo.

Comment

Mańana, mańana, encore.

Comment

If the DUP agree something, the position of the Tory "no dealers" is interesting. Are they going to fold, or have a Christmas fall in the pound on their heads?

Comment

This IEA Kate Andrews fuck is a fucking mook. A shill. A dangerous scumbag. An evil liar or a fool. So many people should take the Roman way out in a warm bath, not a shred of honour or decency left. Though I’d rather Jenkin was trampled by the mob than get the easy way out. What a shit right wing fuck bunch of fuckbags chaired by a Kipper Bastard 20 years overdue a defenestrating. Turn off Question Time now, dying of impotent rage would be a bit shit.

Comment

Spoony...Spoony, are you alright?

Damn, he didn't make it to the off button in time. This is on your head, Dimbleby, and OTF will have its revenge.

Comment

I turned on Moonlight on Vermont and the angular Old Time Religion Beefheart madness brought me back from the brink. Owen Smith is far more a Statesman and less a Cheeseman on silent.

Thanks to DM for making me dig out the old Trout Mask.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 08-12-2017, 00:08.

Comment

If you turn the screen to face the wall, he's even better. Sealed in a many walled vacuum flask and thrown into a black hole, you'd mistake him for FDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                If the DUP agree something, the position of the Tory "no dealers" is interesting. Are they going to fold, or have a Christmas fall in the pound on their heads?
                                Fuck this all my Christmas shopping is gong to be bought once I get off the plane at this rate. Soon I’ll expect taxi drivers in Scotland to offer hard currency exchanges at competitive rates for the toilet paper pound. Pure Bulgaria ‘87 for the whole island if youse aren’t careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  This IEA Kate Andrews fuck is a fucking mook. A shill. A dangerous scumbag. An evil liar or a fool. So many people should take the Roman way out in a warm bath, not a shred of honour or decency left. Though I’d rather Jenkin was trampled by the mob than get the easy way out. What a shit right wing fuck bunch of fuckbags chaired by a Kipper Bastard 20 years overdue a defenestrating. Turn off Question Time now, dying of impotent rage would be a bit shit.
                                  She's awful isn't she. Offensive and nasty and one of the few people I see on political debates who I wish ill on. Something very swift that rids humanity of someone who has forgotten she's also part of it.
                                  Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 08-12-2017, 06:21.

Comment

May and Davis get on a plane in the middle of the night to flee the country, they seek sanctuary in Brussels and are due to make a statement in the next hour or so after having a hearty breakfast. It has the feeling of the condemneds' last meal.

Comment

So, no barriers either North-South, or West-East: can we take it the UK will remain in a bespoke customs union?

Comment

As now, NI residents remain entitled to Irish citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                          Here: https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/07...dup-sinn-fein/

Meanwhile, the Dáil has signed up for PESCO - perhaps more a pooling of resources than anything else, but all rather rushed through
                                          Thanks for that link. I'll have to get that Southern Passport application in soon- the sauce choices here are limited to ketchup and brown gloop
                                          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 08-12-2017, 10:52.

Comment

Briefly in response to Berba's latest Irish Language rant at post 3521 above:

1 I'm a lifelong Atheist as pointed out regularly on here. Never supported ISIS btw. Even your drug-addled stupor must have noticed?

2 The AIL isn't just about a minority interest culture. Nobody closes down local government just so that tiny minority can carry on speaking it (and be supported to do so by public funding). It's naive or dishonest to think that SF's intent is to bind NI society or similar

3 What makes you an authority on wider culture beyond playing the banjo and posting gibberish about Jose Mourinho?

4 It's only up for discussion more than in passing because you choose to get hysterical about it. Did you miss or just not understand my stated support for an Act (which you requoted)?

5 SF have abandoned Stormont because they got bored with it. It would be more honest to admit that than persist with this near irrelevance about an AIL. When it happens all that will change is a few new Civil Service sinecures and street signs in Nat areas. Reinforcing the marking out of territory that's already there

6 Of course Brexit has changed much but if you think an AIL is the big issue you are as deluded as the worst Brexiteers

Comment

Fintan O Toole

"The deal secured by Ireland does not necessarily force the UK to stay in the customs union and single market. It just forces it to act as if it has stayed in - a distinction without a difference. Call it what you like - if it acts like a customs union, moves like a customs union and is fully aligned like a customs union, it is a customs union."

Comment

I'm not so sure it does that as it gives NI a veto over the rest of the UK leaving an effective customs union (depending on how constraining you believe the caveat in the first paragraph below to be).
                                                Should this not be possible, the United Kingdom will propose specific solutions to address the unique circumstances of the island of Ireland. In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement.

In the absence of agreed solutions, as set out in the previous paragraph, the United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, unless, consistent with the 1998 Agreement, the Northern Ireland Executive and Assembly agree that distinct arrangements are appropriate for Northern Ireland. In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.

Comment

It should also be noted that you can imagine an FTA on goods and maybe some services which avoids the need for a hard border but falls far short of even effective membership of the single market. It's hard to see that being negotiated in the time left till 2019, but by the end of the transition, maybe.

Comment

I'm seeking solace from the Brexiteers losing their shit all over social media this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X