No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

hobbes wrote:
    What does the hobbesette do?
    Chartered accountant. Although looking to change.

Go to Germany, Hobbesy.
    Ich spreche kein Deutsch
    Nor do those City people Frankfurt is wooing.

It'll be fun, your young lad growing up bilingual.

Comment

Different century. Dublin was the second city for much of the eighteenth century, up until the act of union in 1801, where upon the whole city went straight down the shitter. It's weird to think but up until about 1850, a third of the population of the UK lived in ireland.

Comment

It is a great place for small children.

Comment

Just move to Canada and be done with it. July and August aren't cold at all. And you'll get used to winter in time...

Comment

Theresa May’s announcement that the UK will no longer be a member of the EU’s single market provides certainty to both the British people and businesses. The public voted to take back control of our laws, borders, money and trade, and it is right that the Prime Minister is taking the necessary steps to achieve this. It will also enable businesses to start planning their future operations outside the EU. Politicians who insist on muddying the waters by trying to keep the UK inside the EU’s single market are only adding to business uncertainty.
            So much certainty. Before today we didn't know what tariffs British businesses would be subject to, whether they would be subject to non-tariff barriers, how many foreign workers they'll be able to hire and from where, how long the transition period might be, and what tax rates they'd be subject to. Now we know, um, that they won't be subject to the ECJ.

Comment

Millions of Labour supporters who voted Remain will welcome Kate Hoey's invitation to fuck off.

Comment

Get this.

David Davis has confirmed the speech by May was the "plan" that was promised.

Well done, Labour. Well bloody done.

Comment

From the Shadow Brexit Secretary, Nigel Starmer-Smith.

She has given little detail about how that is to be achieved and there are some unanswered questions and some big gaps. It is, in truth, a half-in, half-out plan.

Let me give an example. The prime minister says that she does not want the jurisdiction of the European court of justice. But she wants a comprehensive trade agreement. Sooner or later she and others will have to face up to the fact that any such agreement will have a disputes resolution clause and that will have to be independent of this country. It will not be by reason and resolution in the high court in London, according to English laws.

But, if the prime minister achieves all she has set out to achieve, she will fall short of hard Brexit that many in business and trade unions have feared, a Brexit of no deal, a bare trade agreement, out of any customs union and arms length with our EU relations. And it is good that she has ruled that hard Brexit out at this stage.
                  Interesting philosophical point about free trade. But God knows who he thinks he's addressing with it. Some group of libertarian leavers?

Comment

Today, May appeared at Lancaster House to rightly insist on our tradition of parliamentary sovereignty – which is why parliament will get the final say on the Brexit deal – but also to undo Thatcher’s disastrous single market model. The EU has become little more than a club for big business, which is why it’s over at the CBI and at Davos that they will be mourning Britain’s lack of membership the most.

Yes, she made lots of warm and compensatory noises about free trade. But from now on we get to decide our trade rules in the House of Commons. Which is why, despite the obvious comparisons between them, May has become the first prime minister to escape from Thatcher’s dark shadow.
                    Is Giles Fraser the last Lexiter in town?

Comment

Just to echo the above that you don't much need to speak German if you move to Frankfurt (though obviously it helps, but you'll get by easily until you pick it up, or not). And to stress that it's a really under-rated city in the middle of everything - Hessen, Germany, Europe. Dozens of museums and art galleries, cinemas showing English-language movies, plus the English Theatre, loads of bands come through a variety of decent venues, opera and all that crap if you want. Outdoor drinking events seemingly almost non-stop from spring through to the Christmas market. We were up in the heart of the Taunus on Sunday after a 25-minute ride on the S-bahn. Four professional football teams - Eintracht, FSV, FFC and Kickers Offenbach. Everything's walkable, cyclable or public-transportable. There are dozens of jobs for English-speaking bankers/techies/sales-type people - I know because I get the e-mail every day. And no competition from me as I'm not qualified to do any of them (thank God). There's the huge added incentive that you'd get to go out on the piss with me every now and again (optional).

End of next year I can apply for my German passport. I can no longer think of a single reason for going home, and that genuinely gets me down.

Comment

May has become the first prime minister to escape from Thatcher’s dark shadow.
                        Hahahahahaha.

Spin is an amazing thing.

Comment

The rugby player?

Comment

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-uk-will-leave-eu-regardless-of-parliament-vote-theresa-may-a7531656.html

Government sources later said that the Prime Minister was "clear, we are leaving the EU" when asked what would happen if Parliament rejected the deal Ms May strikes.
                            That's more than likely Nick Timothy, formally of the fake charity New Schools Network.

Britain. Where taking back control means the royal prerogative. And indeed people you've never heard of blurting it out.

Comment

I don't think that's your decision to make, Theresa, because if parliament rejects the deal then you're not Prime Minister anymore.

Comment

Bravo, Tim Farron.

Calling out that the deal we get will be worse than what we've got. I have no idea why Labour doesn't say this.

Comment

antoine polus wrote:
                                  May has become the first prime minister to escape from Thatcher’s dark shadow.
                                  Hahahahahaha.

Spin is an amazing thing.
                                  Spin isn't the word. He's a "proper left" churchman with a thriving media career.

Comment

This Scottish Green can coin a phrase.

Maggie Chapman @Maggie4Scotland
                                    Theresa May being very clear with Scotland. Accept her racist theme park for tax avoiders or get out of the union. #indyref2 now a necessity

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Get this.

Not sure how much of all of this is Labour's fault this is, whilst vehemently disagreeing with the leadership's current passive stance.

Shouldn't you be 'bigging up' the LD's, plus all those Celtic 'nasty nats' Tubby?
                                      Good luck with the former...

Comment

I like the idea of a civil servant blindsiding the Minister with "new" rather than "better".

More likely a Spad came up with it, not understanding the difference.

Comment

GCostanza wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                          Get this.

Not sure how much of all of this is Labour's fault this is, whilst vehemently disagreeing with the leadership's current passive stance.

Shouldn't you be 'bigging up' the LD's, plus all those Celtic 'nasty nats' Tubby?
                                          Good luck with the former...
                                          I did big up Farron. I often agree with the Nats on UK stuff too.

Comment

Once.

And you're scathing of the SNP. So calling BS on that one.

Comment

GCostanza wrote: Once.

And you're scathing of the SNP. So calling BS on that one.
                                              I don't like them because they play down their own power, have some bad tax and spend choices, and mislead people all the time about Scotland's fiscal position.

I agree with them on EU membership, UK fiscal policy- that's two biggies for you. And I wish them luck from here if they can get out of the UK shitshow and make it work. God knows what currency it involves though.

Comment

Agree their economic/fiscal policies are muddled, but as much due to the constraints of London as anything they do.

Far poorer countries than them have become independent and reckon they could use the Euro after a Scottish pound for a transitionary period, though ultimately it's down to what the residents of Scotland want.
                                                But hoping not part of a 'little England', tax haven or otherwise.

Comment

antoine polus wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                                  The only real problem is dealing with the local belief that cork is a world city of 200,000 people.
                                                  Was sitting next to a Korean on a plane once who told me that he never realised that 3 million people lived in Dublin. "Who told you that?", I asked. A Dublin taxi driver, apparently.
                                                  A common mistake, a great number of people are clueless where it comes to their own town’s/city’s/county’s/country’s population. Ask people on the street, in pubs etc. “What is the population of London/your own city/the UK?", and prepare to be dumbstruck. I know because I did just that about 15 years ago and only 18% of the 100 people I asked got it right if memory serves (“right” meaning with a generous error margin of 20%), with some truly “surprising” answers in the mix. Little wonder we’ve had Brexit...

It’s no better in France of course. The clip below is a gem, even with just a smattering of French you should get the gist of it. If not: Marion Maréchal-Le Pen, when running for the presidency of the PACA region (Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur) last autumn, was asked what the population of PACA was and this ignoramus replied: “about 2 million”... (it’s much more of course – 5 million –, what with major conurbations such as Marseille, Nice, Toulon and sizeable cities like Avignon or Aix, it could never be 2 fucking million). And she’s only been a politician in PACA (councillor, then MP) for about 3 years…

Watch her squirm

Comment

imp wrote: End of next year I can apply for my German passport. I can no longer think of a single reason for going home, and that genuinely gets me down.
                                                    And it only costs €255, peanuts compared to the UK: £1,121 as of today (and no doubt far more in the coming years as it’s going up exponentially, it was only £913 last year!).

And by the time you’ve added all the extras (the Residence Card fee – since Nov 2015 unfortunately a prerequisite for applying for UK citizenship, whatever your personal situation, married, 5 kids, here for 50 years etc. –, + this ridiculous Citizenship test or Life in the Uk (or whatever the fuck it's called) + the transport to get to the test + the Nationality checking service fee + the citizenship ceremony fee (£100 if I'm not mistaken) + a possible language test fee etc.) it’s over £1,500.

Oh, and if you make a mistake on your Home Office application, you lose the whole of the £1,121 fee (9% were rejected last year). No wonder this article called it “Paytriotism” (http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21648699-becoming-british-costly-business-paytriotism). It’s now become a licence to print money.

The government concedes that the fees for processes such as naturalisation far outweigh the costs. In 2014 the Home Office estimated its expenditure for dealing with an application for naturalisation to be £144; at that time would-be Britons paid £906.

[…]
                                                    Go back a couple of decades, however, and naturalisation cost virtually nothing, says Thom Brooks, a professor of law and government at Durham University and an expert on citizenship. The rocketing costs since then reflect the fact that the process has become more onerous since the terrorist attacks of September 11th 2001, argues Mr Brooks, and the fact that the government realised that British nationality could be a useful money-spinner.

[…] America wants migrants to see themselves as part of the national story rather than a separate isolated class, says Mr Brooks. Britain, by contrast, prefers to squeeze its would-be citizens for all they are worth.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X