• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/tommctague/status/1075382421808390145?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/jamesmelville/status/1075354264883654657?s=21

Comment

Actually UK and Switzerland have signed off an agreement...

Comment

Not ratified though. We don't even know the terms yet.

Comment

Correct, only the transport part is completed but it looks like the trade agreement will largely be a copy/paste of the currently relation (which is based on EU/Switz agreements).

Comment

Based on as is Switzerland saying "there are just a couple of points we wanted to change.."?

Comment

As with the ‘how did the gilets jaunes vote last time?’ material on the France thread the attempt to measure how racist the Dutch are by Wilders’ graphs seems a remarkable psephological shortsightedness.

Comment

Confidence vote latest.

A Labour MP has been suspended and urged to resign from parliament by her party after being found guilty of repeatedly lying to avoid a speeding ticket.

Fiona Onasanya, the MP for Peterborough, was accused of colluding with her brother to avoid three points on her licence by claiming that a former lodger had been driving her Nissan Micra when it was found travelling at 41mph in a 30mph zone.

Police established the former lodger was in Russia at the time of the offence.

Comment

FWIW, I think Corbyn said "stupid people" from the BBC clip.

Comment

I see Bercow's knocked this nonsense back anyway, fair play to him.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                        Nah, the Netherlands belongs on that list. Wilders has pushed the entire political spectrum in the country to the right. The rubbish that Mark Rutte regularly spouts would have been considered beyond the pale twenty years ago.

Plus, in the latest polls you have Wilders' Party for Freedom on 18 seats and the new Forum for Democracy (Thierry Baudet's party, which is essentially Wildersism) on 16 seats. Their combined total of 34 would be equal to 23% of the 150 house seats. And, as mentioned, don't forget that the largest party (Mark Rutte's VVD) has itself solidified its grip on power by appealing to the populist-right.
                        Whilst I agree that Widers' vote share is down the way I read the election was a reconfiguring of votes within the three main blocs: Right, Centre and Left. The numbers have stayed pretty much the same for each but the influence of right-wing populism still remains as strong but now spread across three parties. To someone of my age (49) who remembers going to hardcore gigs in squatted venues in Alkmaar and Amsterdam (Van Halle?) the idea of the influence of the right is more difficult to comprehend than in say France or Italy. My excuse is still seeing the Netherlands through the rose-tinted idealist spectacles of my youth.

Comment

That's what I thought he said. Is that what he's claimed to have said?

Comment

It is. Worth noting BBC online has it as their lead story. No doubt it'll be the main story on TV and the main point of discussion on the rest of their political coverage. Bringing bread and circuses to the great unwashed.

Comment

Meanwhile, I fear this is likely to be on the money.

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot....after-all.html

Comment

I don't really get the Pele analogy. He's brilliantly playing the entirely wrong game?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

That's what I thought he said. Is that what he's claimed to have said?
                                  Yes, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                    Meanwhile, I fear this is likely to be on the money.

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot....after-all.html

As I noted above, this may be the best option for both wings of the Conservative party as for both it meets the criteria of being the lesser of two evils. As for us, the nation, well it was never about us, so we can rest assured that they will not lose any sleep over it. For me the questions still remains, will it avert a hard-right turn? Not completely, as some headbangers will no doubt blame the EU for subsequent damage done to the economy, but hopefully the avoiding of a year-zero will contribute to maintaining some sanity.
                                    Last edited by Gert from the Well; 19-12-2018, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I don't really get the Pele analogy. He's brilliantly playing the entirely wrong game?
                                      I concluded the same, but wasn't certain.

Comment

I can't disagree with Chris Grey, the Tories instinct for self-preservation trumps any other consideration. There will be endless, tedious battles to define the future relationship, Brexit will never go away...

The only long game Labour is playing is 2022 and any Brexit related hardship will be seen as a political advantage.

Comment

The long game is a dangerous one. There’s no guarantee the young voters of 2017 will turn out in three years, let alone how/if the next generation vote. And if the decline is gradual enough maybe the slow collapse of the British economy will be greeted with apathy rather than anger. People might be even more scared of change than now.

Comment

More on the hypothetical general election. Not a single seat changing hands in Wales per Roger Scully based on Sky Data. A tiny 0.5% swing from Tory to Labour ought to deliver 2 seats.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/elections...ng-intentions/

Labour did very well last time, but even so.

Comment

Surprised that there's still an anti-devolution vote after 20 years!

Comment

Corbyn was far too polite of course and should never apologise. But I wonder if he shouldn't just quietly go now (I mean, within the next year) and hand over the baton to s.o else, s.o more popular and consensual (Starmer?), with fewer casseroles* (or casserolettes anyhow) to his name.

[*15. Avoir des casseroles au cul. “To have saucepans hung on the ass.” What you say about someone who’s haunted by a scandal.]

Comment

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post
                                                  Corbyn was far too polite of course and should never apologise. But I wonder if he shouldn't just quietly go now (I mean, within the next year) and hand over the baton to s.o else, s.o more popular and consensual (Starmer?), with fewer casseroles* (or casserolettes anyhow) to his name.

[*15. Avoir des casseroles au cul. “To have saucepans hung on the ass.” What you say about someone who’s haunted by a scandal.]
                                                  What is this thing with Starmer? OK, he's well-spoken and has a lovely head of hair, but surely he'd end up taking exactly the kind of flak that Corbyn does, simply by dint of having associated for so long with the Wrong Sort Of Labour.

Comment

David Lammy for me, the guy is a warrior...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X