No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what's the Priti Patel- Dr Foxx line?

We're going to thrive outside medicine bureaucracy? That's an electoral winner.

Comment

Forgot to mention another reason Brexiters won't care. They're London jobs.

Comment

Top BBC politics story is Nigel Evans, mild mannered but extreme in opinions, says Britain shouldn't be "Santa" for the EU.

On reflection, I don't think losing the EMA jobs is likely to cut through.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
          Forgot to mention another reason Brexiters won't care. They're London jobs.
          Some of them get that tax receipts from London are quite useful to the overall economy, but by no means all.

It'll have to be a car factory in one of David Goodhart's "somewheres" to make an impression. Even a pharma factory in Tatton is going to be too fancy. Mind you its Brexit MP might have some explaining to do.

Comment

Britain has apparently now decreed by law that animals don't feel pain. Trying to get into Trump's ivory business no doubt. Cunts. Seriously. Utter utter cunts. I hope every single animal that voted for this gets to experience pain every fucking day for the rest of their miserable lives

Comment

Their Govt is a bunch of nasty cunts- gutted their welfare state to make the Euro entry, no zoning laws so the city is a dangerous mess of housing that’s more expensive than Vienna down the road, blatant xenophobic bullshit coming from the Govt in terms of refugees as well. Big pals with the corrupt regime in Poland. Fuck em right in the ear.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 18:47.

Comment

Bratislava didn't feel particularly over developed. Maybe because all the appartments aren't occupied yet. It could do with redeveloping the bus and rail station, mind.

Then again, I didn't cross the river. That looked like a sprawl.

Bratislava won't be hosting the EMA. Maybe it can host the shrine of the patron saint of affordable dentristry, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Britain has apparently now decreed by law that animals don't feel pain. Trying to get into Trump's ivory business no doubt. Cunts. Seriously. Utter utter cunts. I hope every single animal that voted for this gets to experience pain every fucking day for the rest of their miserable lives
                  By a Commons vote? Fucking hell. There’s still arguments about fish, but there is surely no doubt mammals have as much capacity to feel distress as ourselves? Fuckin evil.

Comment

Dublin just misses out on the Banking Agency - in the second round, it led Paris 13-10, with Frankfurt eliminated on 4, but in the final, both cities were tied, with the winner drawn at random from a hat!

https://www.politico.eu/article/live...er-brexit/amp/

Comment

Christ, hard luck Ireland.

Given the shit they're getting from us, the rest of the EU could have given them this.

Comment

Maybes for the best, if the Banking Agency was to end up staffed at the higher levels by loads of Irish Central bank geniuses on secondment. But yeah, it’s a bit shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          By a Commons vote? Fucking hell. There’s still arguments about fish, but there is surely no doubt mammals have as much capacity to feel distress as ourselves? Fuckin evil.
                          But we'll have an environmental regulation authority with real teeth, remember.

Presumably aimed straight at nature's throat.

Comment

I’ll say it again, hoping for a big flu pandemic to come down and wipe out a fair chunk of the Tory core vote this winter. What have the (nostalgic for a 40s Wartime Spirit most were only bairns during) bastards wrought?

Our future as a scabby Singapore/Game Reserve. Cos ye auld yins get uncomfy around the Slavs and the Browns.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                              European Medicines Agency has its new location announced today. I wonder if this could be a big moment. Sure, they're "Eurocrats" but medicine is real, even to Kipper pensioners.
                              Unfortunately not. Everything will remain abstract, foppish, distant and "yeah-but-what's-that-got-to-do-with-us"-ing until it fucking hits them in the effing head.

Comment

Scientists for EU reckon that 40,000 people visited the European Medicines Agency on business every year.

I haven't seen many Lexiters about lately. What do they make of this? Fewer businessmen polluting, or something? Are they waiting on the nationalization of Glaxo?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev7 View Post
                                  Unfortunately not. Everything will remain abstract, foppish, distant and "yeah-but-what's-that-got-to-do-with-us"-ing until it fucking hits them in the effing head.
                                  With hindsight, I've stopped believing this will have any effect.

Comment

How are his sources these days? A biggie if true.

Robert Peston‏Verified account
                                    @Peston
                                    Perhaps more important, that cabinet sub committee concedes European Court of Justice could have role in enforcing rights of 3m EU migrants in Britain after Brexit. This will be seen by EU as big shift by UK, but more ardent Brexiteers will hate.

Comment

aura Kuenssberg‏Verified account
                                      @bbclaurak
                                      Follow Follow @bbclaurak
                                      For leavers potential Brexit holdup because of German elex is more evidence of why we voted Out- UKs interests tangled up with other countries’ election cycles
                                      Not as much trouble as our own election cycle.

Comment

I genuinely don't know what kind of closure/relocation event would shake the Brexit cult. Possibly Nissan?

Comment

Not as much trouble as our own election cycle.

I genuinely think Kuennsberg believes she’s being Fair and Impartial (unlike Humphreys etc - btw Zoe Williams lays a couple of twitter digs into his appalling hack wife Catherine Bennett for her anti trans, Owen Jones bashing screed, I’d say the dinner parties in that pair’s gaff must rival the delightful Goves).

In a way it’s almost more worrying if she can’t see her ridiculous ra ra the Butcher’s Apron bollocks is in a distant constellation from impartial. It’s the way the entire BBC current affairs network seems to do no research. Sky News/random fannies on twitter, they have way more understanding of what is actually going on this collection of knaves and bores. Evan Davis, Kirsty Wark, Piennar, every cunt on R4, no evidence of having a clue what going on (and the likes of Humphreys and Neil feel completely free to dismiss facts that don’t fit their boorish narrative. And they never get challenged).
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-11-2017, 20:42.

Comment

How are his sources these days? A biggie if true.
                                            Stephen Bush floated the theory popular with desperate Tory remainers that fixing the Brexit date is her way of getting as soft a Brexit as possible and with very little her Evil Idiot wing could do about it. Seems optimistic and Panglossian to say the least.

Comment

They'd likely bring the government down and expect to be voted back by their "donkey with a blue rosette" constituencies.

Comment

I'm thinking of the medicines jobs, more than the banking ones. But I think the bulk of Brexiters aren't libertarians, who'll think "Fantastic, I'll be able to get miracle pills easier without Europe getting in the way". They'll see these as hundreds of jobs in something important going.

How many people who voted Brexit even knew these agencies existed in the UK? "Brussels" innit?
                                                ¾ of people don’t even know who their MP is, never mind what them furrin run-by-unelected-faceless-plutocrats-and-foppish-Continentals quangos are for.

Not that MPs are much more knowledgeable of course: Poll shows 85% of MPs don’t know where money comes from.

It does feel a bit like this sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  I genuinely think Kuennsberg believes she’s being Fair and Impartial (unlike Humphreys etc - btw Zoe Williams lays a couple of twitter digs into his appalling hack wife Catherine Bennett for her anti trans, Owen Jones bashing screed, I’d say the dinner parties in that pair’s gaff must rival the delightful Goves).

In a way it’s almost more worrying if she can’t see her ridiculous ra ra the Butcher’s Apron bollocks is in a distant constellation from impartial. It’s the way the entire BBC current affairs network seems to do no research. Sky News/random fannies on twitter, they have way more understanding of what is actually going on this collection of knaves and bores. Evan Davis, Kirsty Wark, Piennar, every cunt on R4, no evidence of having a clue what going on (and the likes of Humphreys and Neil feel completely free to dismiss facts that don’t fit their boorish narrative. And they never get challenged).
                                                  Yeah, I'm actually worried about losing Sky News. That's how bad the BBC is.

Comment

Is that threat real? Half their non-sport viewers must be through Sky News.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X