Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

There's always Mr Tiafoe, whose parents saw fit to name him Frances.

*Or the righteously named Evan Song.

*Or the nominatively determined Ace Matias.

*Or Jacob Jacoby.

*Or Lubo Cuba.

*Kyle Butters?

Bill Sharton.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Very happy to see Sorana Cirstea back. I remember about 4 years ago she was the best of the new young Romanian women players, but once Halep overtook her she just seemed to slip back into obscurity behind Halep, Begu, Niculescu et al, but she's outlasted all of them in Melbourne and is now into the second week.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Dan Evans 2-0 up over massive bellend Bernie Tomic.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Another big win for Evans, who really has started this year fantastically

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

To be fair to massive bellend Bernie Tomic, he did seem (in the bits I watched at least) to behave sportingly and decently on this occasion. Can't be easy having a father like his.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

I know it's early days, but currently Dan Evans has a clear lead in #SPOTY2017. (Nathan Arnold is second and I cannot even guess who else to consider).

Superb news on Evans, what a week for him so far. Can he really beat Tsonga?

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Sounds as if Federer is on absolutely stunning form against Berdych. More of a title contender still than I'd thought, I must admit.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Evans is currently #4 in the Race. Murray is #5.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

ad hoc wrote: I am glad that Jack Sock exists. After Mardy Fish disappeared from view it was important that the US replaced him with another player with an amusing name.
                    Tennys Sandgren really needs to break through to ATP level.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: To be fair to massive bellend Bernie Tomic, he did seem (in the bits I watched at least) to behave sportingly and decently on this occasion.
                      Ha, well, Evans is mates with Tomic. And with Kyrgios for that matter. As (mostly) are Kyrgios and Tomic. Kindred spirits, and all that.

Evans run will see him past two milestones - top 50 and $1m career earnings. However his last three slam results suggest he could go ever further: Wimbledon R3 (lost to Federer on Centre), US Open R3 (lost to Wawrinka. The eventual champion. In five. Having held a match point) and now Aussie Open R4+ (Tsonga or Wawrinka or Murray or similar name to end it*).
                      It's probably wrong to judge Evans solely on Slams, as it's in his character to do better than his standard level on such stages. However that does read like the resume of a top 20 player...

* - assuming someone beats Evans eventually. Which they will. Surely... Dan Evans, Australian Open Champion would match Leicester City, Champions of England in the 'you what?' stakes.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Etienne wrote: Evans is currently #4 in the Race. Murray is #5.
                        Four? Five? Slackers.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Another cracking result for Konta, if not unexpected. She dismantles Wozniacki 3 & 1.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Nadal down 2 sets to 1, to Zverev, but has a break in the 4th. This is going the distance.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

I'm not a dedicated follower of tennis, but I regard myself as reasonably informed (much of that informedness coming from janik and etienne and others on here, to be fair). Which is why it's pretty unusual to encounter a player ranked 31 in the world (Carreno Busta) of whom I have genuinely never heard.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Gerontophile wrote: Another cracking result for Konta, if not unexpected. She dismantles Wozniacki 3 & 1.
                                It was unexpected to me. Not Jo winning, but the margin of it, absolutely trouncing a high class, in form opponent. I believe that is what is called 'laying down a marker'. Who the hell hits 31 winners in 16 games against a defender as good as Wozniacki?!?

That no.1 ranking mentioned up thread? If the crown fits... She has won 16 consecutive sets, for pity's sake! Fingers crossed Jo gets past Makarova in R4 (they have had some battles in the past) and gets a shot at Serena in the QFs. If that happens and she brings her current game, it could be epic.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Gerontophile wrote: Nadal down 2 sets to 1, to Zverev, but has a break in the 4th. This is going the distance.
                                  It did, and Rafa won that 6-2, with Zverev struggling physically by the end. The match lived up to its billing, however.

Great performance by Rafa. Just like it was a great performance from Federer yesterday (ridiculously good by Fed, in fact). Last hurrahs are fun.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

It's fantastic what Konta is achieving at the moment. Exciting possibilities at this tournament. But in 2017 generally I hope she goes on to fill in some gaps in her record. Worth remembering that she has still won a grand total in her entire career to date of 1 main draw match at Wimbledon and zero main draw matches at Roland Garros.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Oh aye, Konta is just a hardcourt player at the moment. If one digs up her juniors profile on the ITF website, you'll find she picked clay as her favourite surface. However looking up her results over the last 12 months (i.e. the ones that can contribute to her ranking), and you'll see just three R1 exits: Stuttgart, Madrid and Roland Garros. All clay. In fact she won just two matches on the surface in the entire of last season.

Grass was better because of Eastbourne, where she is clearly comfortable, and her Wimbledon draw was tough. It doesn't compare to her record on hard, though. Only Kerber and Radwanska won more matches on that surface than Jo in 2016. That top ten ranking was almost entirely constructed of hardcourt points. She is, arguably, top five on it. And maybe top two or three on a fast hardcourt, like in Stanford. Or Melbourne Park...

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Murray is currently struggling against the elder Zverev. And he's done something to his ankle again.

Zverev 6-5 with a break.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

First set to Zverev.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Murray gets a break, then loses it again. He's 3-2 up in the second, on serve.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Murray takes the second 7-5 and starts the third serving.

He is playing a bit better, but his serving is AWOL, mainly because Zverev is coming in for every second serve.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Murray now down 5-2 in the third. And laughing at the changeover.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

2 -1 to Zverev. It's looking ominous.

Comment

Aussie, Aussie Aussie.

Evans is 5-5 with Tsonga.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X