Dog on the pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog on the pitch

During the Liga MX Pachuca-Chiapas game on Saturday a dog made it on the pitch. This is a big enclosed stadium, so not a rural stadium with one stand and a bunch of fields surrounding the other sides.

Discounting the non-league stadia that allow dogs into the match and perhaps a dog makes a break for the field from time to time (perhaps to chase the football), I remain fascinated by the ways that dogs find their way into the stadia and then on to the pitch. Anyone have any idea how this happens? It's obviously a staple of South American football (along with brawls after the 2nd leg of a tie) but I have a hard time figuring out how the dog gets in and then given all the choices of where to go, ends up at field level.

With that said, I don't want to discount non-league dogs on the pitch, so any good stories on that front are much appreciated.

EDIT: And just so the cat lovers don't feel left out, a cat decided to stroll on the pitch in minute 85 of the Pachuca-Chiapas match.

Dog on the pitch

A cat wandered onto the pitch during the Liverpool/Spurs match at Anfield in 2012. Tottenham fans were heard trying to cajole said feline by chanting: 'Come on, use purrs!' (Sorry, just had to.)

Genuine event, though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9065591/Cat-invades-pitch-during-Liverpool-v-Spurs-Premier-League-match.html

Of course, Jimmy Greaves was famously weed on by a dog during England's 1962 World Cup encounter with Brazil...

Comment

Dog on the pitch

And then there was the dog that ended Chic Brodie's career.

Comment

Dog on the pitch

Years ago, during a night match, a fox got into the WBA ground and ran pretty much the length of the pitch. Of course, foxes are urban animals now in the UK, but the Hawthorns is also very close to Sandwell Country Park, so it may have come from there. Attracted by the smells of burgers, and balti pies perhaps.

There are some lower league / non-league pics on the WSC photo site.

Comment

Dog on the pitch

There's always the possibility of smuggling animals into the ground too - an early 90s LDV Vans northern area final at Leeds Road saw a Carlisle fan throw a large chicken over the fence into the Huddersfield penalty area. The goalie was far more perturbed by this development than the hen, which was possibly delighted to be out from inside a pissed-up blokes coat.

Comment

Dog on the pitch

danielmak wrote: EDIT: And just so the cat lovers don't feel left out, a cat decided to stroll on the pitch in minute 85 of the Pachuca-Chiapas match.
            Wait – what? The same match? Was it being chased by the dog – or just enjoying taking the piss because the dog had already been ejected from the premises by that point?

Comment

Dog on the pitch

Torquay fans to thread ...

(this is why)

Comment

Dog on the pitch

Various Artist wrote:
                Originally posted by danielmak
                EDIT: And just so the cat lovers don't feel left out, a cat decided to stroll on the pitch in minute 85 of the Pachuca-Chiapas match.
                Wait – what? The same match? Was it being chased by the dog – or just enjoying taking the piss because the dog had already been ejected from the premises by that point?
                Same match but at different times (about 20 minutes apart), although perhaps it's some kind of buddy story since both emerged from the same side of the stadium. Maybe the cat was wondering what happened to the dog.

Here's a lower quality clip that shows both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahnV06g7I0&spfreload=10

Comment

In addition to this new board being much easier on the eyes than the last redesign, the search function actually worked when Google Advanced Search did not work, so that's a huge plus that helped me find this thread.

Here's another dog on the pitch, although this one wants to join the match:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz9-7LGER0o

Comment

@nonleaguedogs on Twitter if you like that sort of thing (like I do)

Comment

Last edited by treibeis; 26-09-2017, 11:10.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_QNssmF88s

Valiant attempt at the save by Dean Kiely at Bootham Crescent..

Comment

That is marvellous, Giggler. Good clear head from the fan; spots it's a lab, so must be after food.

Comment

And the fan is wearing one of those brilliant nylon tops that Matchwinner made in the mid-90s. I had the Bury one as a teenager.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25375962

Squirrel stops play for 4 minutes at Loftus Road

Comment

"David Nugent chases a squirrel" - not a caption you see every day.

Comment

I wrote a blogpost on dogs at the football the last week after stumbling across a few Victorian news cuttings surrounding the subject.

This one is brilliant from a 1888 Birmingham Cup tie.

Comment

Fucking West Brom dog kicking bastards.

Comment

The appointment of Tony Pulis makes more sense now.

Comment

The dog was on West Brom's side as well, apparently leading an attack on the Villa defence, before persuading a Villa defender to pick him up, giving Woodhall (whoever he is) some space to run into.
                                        I feel that the happy ending is somewhat unconvincing. Wagged his tail before he died, probably.

Comment

Gordon Banks saving a dog at Filbert Street. Possibly the most famous dog-on-pitch photo. Taken by a fellow student of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                            In addition to this new board being much easier on the eyes than the last redesign, the search function actually worked when Google Advanced Search did not work, so that's a huge plus that helped me find this thread.

Here's another dog on the pitch, although this one wants to join the match:
                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz9-7LGER0o
                                            Ah when I saw this thread had been revived I came here to post precisely that (it happened just last weekend). Slightly better video here (the dog makes her appearance at 2:20), including post-match interviews with the players specifically about the dog (San Lorenzo playmaker Leandro Romagnoli says they should send her on in every game to distract the opposition; they won 1-0 with a goal scored shortly after the pitch invasion), and a post-match interview with the dog in which she talks at least as much sense as most players do in front of the cameras (at 4:20ish).

Comment

I love the comments by the announcer in that York City-Bristol Rovers clip that Giggler shared: "And the dog's having great fun."

This one has a similarly funny comment: "Oh, we've got a pitch invader."

But this video is one of my favorites because I especially like it when the dogs treat the situation as an opportunity for a game of chase. You can see the referee's annoyance but the dog seems to be having a blast.

Comment

That last one is joyous...

Comment

My last live dog on pitch experience was three years ago at Crewe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFxdoi5iwQ

Looking at it again, I think our chant of 'Mathias Pogba, he's scared of a dog' was rather undeserved.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X