The Big Gig Thread 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Theatre of Eternal Music Brass Ensemble at the Muziekgebouw was absolutely blissful and transcendent and all those other overblown adjectives that are normally used without particularly applying. Remarkable. Possibly the strongest musical experience I've ever had in my life.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

John Cooper Clarke at the Wightman Theatre Shrewsbury, sadly he phoned his performance in.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

I once went to a dance music all-dayer, near where Brighton's Amex Stadium now stands, at which the headliners, Future Sound Of London, literally phoned it in. The organisers had talked it up as a UK festival first that they would be performing live from their studio via ISDN line, without seemingly having given any thought to how expecting people to look at an empty stage for 90 minutes would work in practice.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: John Cooper Clarke at the Wightman Theatre Shrewsbury, sadly he phoned his performance in.
          I saw him last night and thought he was great, and sharp, not just riffing off old material. He kissed my hand afterwards (not the first time).

The main band were very good but I can't remember their name! Will have to look it up.

Dave Barbarossa did a set supporting Kirsty Allison (poet), which I liked a lot.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

That looked like a good line-up, and a bit of a bargain too compared to JCC's theatre shows.

I'm strongly considering going to see The Glitter Band next Saturday.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

I managed to 'no, thank you' my way out of Melissa Etheridge last night. L took my sister instead. The downside is that my sister never remembers to cough up for the ticket.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Benjm wrote:
                I'm strongly considering gong to see The Glitter Band next Saturday.
                Are the Priscillas supporting? It will be fun, then. I think I saw the Glitter Band a few years ago.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

That's the one. The John Rossall GB seem to be reasonably well thought of by the shadowy glam underground, and haven't had anything to do with their repulsive former associate for a long time now.

I went for a drink with a friend on Kilburn High Road on Friday and Absolute Bowie turned out to be playing in the pub venue across the road from where we were. Didn't pop over but a decent number of Bowie looking punters came in afterwards. If it happens too many times I'll have to consider seeking a restraining order against 'David' and the boys.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Haha!

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Wahey - just got tickets for Black Grape at the 100 Club in May at a fiver each! It's one of those Fred Perry things like The Fall at The Garage a couple of years (?) back.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

WOM wrote: I managed to 'no, thank you' my way out of Melissa Etheridge last night. L took my sister instead. The downside is that my sister never remembers to cough up for the ticket.
                        You expect to get out of a Melissa Etheridge gig and get some money for not going? You are a lunatic.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Upcoming gigs in the next month & a bit:

Black Nail Cabaret, Vile Electrodes, Knights, Frixion + The Department at Electrowerkz.

In The Nursery + And Also The Trees at Islington Academy

Vile Electrodes, Battery Operated Orchestra + Native Ray at Printworks (in Hastings)

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Casual punters dropping into those shows won't be able to complain that the band names didn't give them a clue what to expect.

caja-dglh wrote:
                            You expect to get out of a Melissa Etheridge gig and get some money for not going? You are a lunatic.
                            I rather thought the same when reading WOM's post. He should count himself lucky that Sis didn't hit him up for beer and t shirt money as well before making the deal.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Black Grape at the 100 Club. Fantastic - Shaun and Kermit batting words to and fro over a tight, tight backing band. The sheer enjoyment of the two front men lifted the whole thing hugely. The dreaded new material was pretty good too.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Ooh, that sounds good.

I hope to get to see Moto Vamp tomorrow night, but the Big One is Adam at the Albert Hall on Wednesday.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Moto Vamp were really, really good, recommended. Lily (the singer) was with me at Adam Ant last night at the Albert Hall.

OMFG it was fantastic. He gets better and better.

New addition AP Leach (also an Adam, hence AP) is going some way towards filling the hole left by Tom's death, which was as much about friendship and band chemistry as guitar work. Not saying he wasn't a fine guitarist but Tom's personality became integral to the band. AP is a friend of Joe (bassplayer)'s and seemed at ease.

The "Anthems" mixed setlist worked really well, alternating hits and b-sides. I happen to have a setlist :-) so will upload it to save myself typing.

I'm totally knackered - only had one glass of wine last night but there was a lot of walking around, even inside the Albert Hall. Emotionally - you probably have to be a soppy sod with a strong Ant attachment to get this, but I cried all the way through, so did my punky chum who was in general admission.

I may have said this before but that venue means a lot to Adam and it means a lot to the hardcore fans. Fabulous.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv334/MsDayglo/18486142_10155315610469872_1910889534968907587_n.j pg

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Something that tickled me about the Adam at Albert Hall gig. My friend, who's a year younger than me, brought her husband, they've been married about 25 years, both PhDs, both retired professionals.

He'd been to one Adam gig, but they hadn't been stood or sat together until now, and he was completely taken aback by her screaming. Apparently he's never heard her make noises like that, and he was present for both of their children's births.

I'm missing the gigs on the tour, but I don't know how the band or the fans are keeping up.

My next gigs are small local affairs, I will report back.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

What's the Albert Hall thing MsD?

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Adam's a Londoner so that building is iconic to him, and in Jubilee, filmed 40 years ago, he sits on the steps of the Albert Memorial facing the RAH, as a young punk.

To finally be playing there, after all the ups and downs, is a major achievement. He was last sectioned in 2010. After a wobbly start from 2010-2013, he's back on the best form ever.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

So, Dave Barbarossa's now joined You The Living, and it's his best project for years. Utterly mesmerising.

Amazing frontman. I'm not going to link to them on SoundCloud as Dave's drumming has transformed their sound. Looking forward to the next gig.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

I appear to have agreed to go to the Great British Alternative Music Festival at Butlin's in Skegness in October. Twelve of us going, including a few I haven't seen for a couple of years or so. We usually go canalling or hosteling that weekend each year, but some clever sod thought this was a Good Idea. And, to be fair, I am sure it'll prove memorable at least.

Lord help me.

Still, Buzzcocks are there.

I have Blind Shake to see on June 3rd, which I am telling you to try to boost any inevitable lost cred.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Okay, I relented - I'm off to see Shriekback in Lewes(!), tomorrow.

It's almost £20, so certainly not cheap (by my standards) but at least it's cheaper than next week's London gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire, which is £30+ ...and it's in a nice small venue.

I know I'll probably spend as much on the petrol to Lewes as I would on the train fare to London, but at least I get to see them partly 'on my terms'. I wasn't going to go to see them at any point on this mini-tour of theirs, but I've never seen them before, so I thought I'd bite the bullet.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

I went to a mini-festival put on by the Green Man people at Kings Cross yesterday. The Quietus were offering free tickets in return for a donation to the Manchester victims' appeal. The music seemed to be secondary to the Welsh beer and cider on offer but, as those were being punted out at £3 a pint after 5pm, that wasn't too bad. Reassuringly, the keg (i.e. fizzy and refrigerated) section was the busiest area of the beer tent. Watching groovy middle class mums forcing their children to dance in the rain was a useful reminder of why never to attend a festival proper.

The Wave Pictures were on and were very entertaining but I couldn't tell you what the signature WP sound is. They did some stuff that sounded like Billy Childish, some stuff that was a bit like Neil Young and other more straightforward indie guitar stuff.

North London's own Girl Ray followed afterwards and were very good in a loping, melodic way.

Comment

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Been gig busy lately. First up last Wednesday was Angel Olsen at the Roundhouse. Regrettably, we didn't get further forward so had to make do with the chattering pillocks at the back of the venue. The slow songs seemed slower than usual, but what an exceptional voice she has.
                                                    Next night to Hackney Oslo to catch Priests. Really like their album Nothing Feels Natural and this was their second London gig, and it was originally supposed to be at the Victoria in Dalston. Caught one of the support bands, Sacred Paws who were very good and played a fusion of afro-pop, funk and new wave. Very danceable one imagines after a few cans, but I was off the booze. Priests were great, very tight band sounding occasionally surfy or riotgrrl-y, but always mixing it up. The album features sax, but clearly they can't afford a touring sax player as yet. Katie Greer has a very powerful voice, with occasional added sneer.
                                                    Sunday was Iron Maiden at the O2. I can't recall a great deal as i'd been drinking from 3pm. Incidentally the first time i've been to The Pilot, a Fuller's pub 10 minutes walk from the arena. Makes more sense to go there next time i'm at the dome. Anyway, had a thoroughly bloody nice time though realised on way out that i'd lost my wallet. Fortunately though was able to collect it the next day with what little money there was still inside and nothing missing. Hurrah.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X