No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have managed to do the virtually impossible and secured two tickets to Springsteen on Broadway for L's birthday. This will stand me in good stead.

Comment

Yay. Well done. My friend's going to that. She's very excited.

Comment

Dundas lady? Good for her. It was no easy task. We registered for the Verified Fan nonsense back in August or so. I can't believe it finally paid off.

Comment

It sounds fantastic, even for non-hardcore Steenies.

I'm done until the new year, barring a last minute pub show, so here's my faves for the year:

1. Jane Weaver, Islington Assembly Hall.
          2. New Order, Manchester International Festival.
          3. Kraftwerk, Royal Albert Hall.

Charlotte Church and The Band Of Holy Joy running close. Like 6Music, I may be talking a bigger game than attendance supports on the new music front.

Comment

I managed 32 gigs this year, plus two multi-day festivals. This was about half as many as last year, the reduction being largely due to my son firstly having his own car, so I don't have to drive him to 'his' gigs and also cos he works most nights so we miss out on gigs we would otherwise have gone to together.

Top ten and excluding festival slots:

1. LCD Soundsystem, Glasgow Barrowlands (one of my all time top ten)
            2. Lorde, Glasgow Academy
            3. Nick Cave, Glasgow Hydro
            4. The XX, Manchester Apollo
            5. Mogwai, Glasgow Hydro
            6. The National, Berlin Tempodrom
            7. Sigur Ros, Glasgow Armadillo
            8. Slingshot Dakota / Petal, Glasgow Hug & Pint
            9. Radiohead, Lancashire CCC
            10. Paramore, Manchester Apollo (mainly for the atmosphere and the fact that, unusually, both kids were with me, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't enjoy the music too)

Honourable mentions:
            Grandaddy, Foxing, Lana del Rey, Band of Horses, Joyce Manor, Aimee Mann, Wolf Alice, Pvris, The Killers

The one that got away:
            Feist (only UK dates were in London, when I was on holiday anyway).

I've got 19 in the ticket drawer so far for 2018, including several repeats from 2017.

Comment

2018's list so far for me is the Rockaway Beach festival in January, Duds, Colleen Green, ACR and The Band Of Holy Joy w/ The Blue Orchids.

I almost booked a ticket for Wave Pictures offshoot The Surfing Magazines on 2 January but realised that the main motivation for going would be to get to start next year's BGT, rather than any desire to leave the house then.

Comment

I'm very envious of Walt, you obviously don't mind doing a bit of traveling.

My top 5 this year in approximate order of appearance:

Teenage Fanclub at Shepherds Bush. Hadn't seen them for over 10 years because of some slightly disappointing albums. The latest was a return to form and they are still great fun live.

Besnard Lakes in Hackney. They rock.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Troxy. A real assault on the ears, my balance was affected for days.

Josh Rouse at King Tuts, Glasgow. The man, an acoustic guitar and a very happy wife. Apparently Robert Plant was at the back before playing somewhere larger the following night.

Mogwai at Brixton Academy. Great stand in drummer Cat, she really battered those drums. Not as loud as Godspeed You, but nothing is.

All acts I've seen before, I hope to be more adventurous next year.

Comment

Glasgow and Newcastle trips are easy enough, usually home and in bed before or not long after midnight. I drive an hour each way to and from work every day so I don't mind a 60-90 minute drive to do something I actually enjoy.

Envious myself on Godspeed You, the dates clashed with something and I couldn't make any.

Comment

I'm just in from seeing Adam Ant at the Roundhouse. He's so good I can't even describe.

Wish I'd remembered my ear plugs, though, as it was LOUD and my ears are whooshing.

Comment

Working...
                    X