No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a nice venue. I've seen Wobble, Adam and the Pop Group there.

Not heart of Jane Weaver, until now.

Comment

Speaking of people with the initials JW, I have tickets for Jimmy Webb at the Roundhouse in February.

Comment

I hadn't made the JW connection between Wobble and Weaver; with the Jane Wiedlin earworm that I had earlier in the week, it begins to look a bit spooky.

Comment

It's a sign from Kingdom Hall.

Comment

Metallica - Manchester Arena

OK, so fourth time seeing them and not a little bit of trepidation because the last time, Belfast in 2010, was a Not Very Good Gig. Back then it was a band stuck with no idea what to do next, just simply playing sold-out shows to thousands of people, having no clue whether to just Play the Hits, or the New Stuff, when the New Stuff was either awful or non-existent. Yes, they have great songs that they play night after night but it was so by the numbers, going through the motions, that Belfast was show 257 in a worldwide tour of 438.

Seven years later and there is a new album and its not bad. No classic but Metallica seem revitalised and finally a bit comfortable with themselves. The new stuff worked and was carefully scattered throughout the set. When Seek and Destroy came early, the video screens shown loads of old ticket stubs and photos (including from gigs at the Apollo and then-GMex and Nynex which I thought was a good touch). Couple of oldies, couple of new ones, delivered with energy and passion. A shame that they blitz through "One" so quickly, but then they can play that in five minutes on muscle memory alone. Sad But True was so, so good. Trujillo and Hammett knocked out a quick version of "Don't Look Back In Anger' for the crowd to sing along to, which could have been cringey and cliched, especially for a band as earnest as Metallica. But they got away with it. It's good to see them rediscover the idea of fun once more. Yes, Lars is an arse and Jaymz is a prick but all they ever wanted to be was liked and appreciated and after selling several bajillion records I think they realise that they got there.

Side note: First time back at the Arena since the bombing. It's a special place for me and the Mrs - we met there, we've been there several hundred times for shows and hockey games, worked backstage on stuff. I jokingly call it "our church" because it's where we regularly go to worship. They've done a good job of redecorating and not one person griped about the airport style security in place. Being in that concourse was simultaneously unsettling yet reassuringly familiar. For an area with a few hundred people in, it was very quiet. But on the way out, walking back out through that same area, everyone high on the adrenaline of gig and things were back to normal again.

Comment

That sounds like a good night out, Snake, and may there be many more there.

Kraftwerk have quite a good local interest trick in their stage show; towards the end of Spacelab the screens show a flying saucer coming in over the city where they are playing and landing outside the venue as the song finishes.

Comment

I went to The Social on Little Portland Street last night to see Geneva Jacuzzi and Jupiter-C.

Jupiter-C do fairly classic, female voiced, slightly dark electro-pop, a bit like Section 25's synth/dancey material. It was less glitchy than a lot of bands of recent vintage, which works for me. They finished with a good cover of World Of Twist's Sons Of The Stage, much deserving of respect.

LA's Geneva Jacuzzi delivered most of her set from inside an inflatable plastic bubble, also dancing and fighting with it when she was outside and roaming through the crowd with a spotlight. She was singing live over laptop backing tracks, which might once have been called a PA but is no different to what Sleaford Mods do. She describes herself as a performance artist rather than a musician and, for her brand of entirely synthesised dance music, visual impact and engagement beat live button pressing anyway. Highly enjoyable.

Comment

Oval Space last night to see Shabazz Palaces. Their new albums sounded much better live than recorded. It was really loud. Cool venue, but beer was expensive. 4.80 for a 33ml can.

Comment

Saw Robert Forster last night on his 'Grant and I' book and music tour. First hour was good - RF chatting with the German translator of his book, with the odd song thrown in. Then there was half an hour or so of acoustic versions of GB and solo songs that pretty much echoed what we saw when he played here a year or two ago. I was hoping the music would have more relevance to his relationship with Grant McLennan, and that there'd be some stories around the evolution of their co-written songs. Maybe it's all in the book.

Frau imp enjoyed the music much more than I did, and finally forgave me for leaving the tickets at home. After conscientiously cycling to the gig to help save planet earth, we then had to get an impette to take a taxi across town and deliver them by hand. We stood around waiting for 20 minutes, frau imp's shoulder colder than the autumn air. Delighted daughter took a picture from the taxi window of us standing there impatiently, while the taxi driver wanted to know if the event was something to do with the US Civil War. Once inside, the wife growled, "Get me a beer." Had to stand at the back, but I prefer standing anyway. I was quite glad he didn't play for too long - don't feel their songs much lend themselves to acoustic versions. He got called back for an encore and claimed it was the first one on the German leg of his tour (fourth date) - nice that he was touched by the warm audience reaction.

Comment

...while the taxi driver wanted to know if the event was something to do with the US Civil War.
                      Ha ha ha, quality.

The worst thing about those moments is when you're about to reply, "Absolutely not, my good fellow, it is just us and a group of similarly aged and like minded people getting together to hear anecdotes about and acoustic renditions of the songs of one of Australia's finest 1980s guitar bands. No, not The Triffids, the other ones," but have a flash of self awareness and instead mutter, "Yeah, Civil War, something like that..."

Comment

Ha, I did start to say something like, "No, he's an Australian songwriter..." but then I remembered that not only was the meter running (he was taking our kid back home), but frau imp was by now at the very least mentally consulting her lawyers about a quickie divorce.

Comment

Are gigs getting quieter have I got tinnitus?

In the past fortnight I've seen Cud in Bristol and The Wedding Present in Plymouth and both times I've gone home with not the slightest hint of ringing in my ears. Are gigs now subject to exposure times or maximum noise levels. I can understand the Thunderbolt as it's in a residential area but the Plymouth Hub not so much.

The downside of this is the chatter that goes on during the set is noticeable and annoying. For Gedge's mob last night, with a venue so rammed, it was difficult to get away from. At almost £20 a throw you'd expect those there might actuallly be fans of the band or they'd disappear to the bar. Considering it was the George Best set they must have had an inkling of the setlist.

As for the bands, I've got a soft spot for Cud having been around West Yorkshire when they were just starting out and witnessed some of the earliest gigs. This time they did a singles set but unlike numerous indie types it's the tunes from their mid to late period that stand the test of time. The tracks from this time, Rich and Strange, Through the Roof, Robinson Crusoe and Magic still sound fine after all these years.

George Best is almost certainly the album I've played more than any other so even with my reservations that David Gedge seems to have reached a Fall-esque turnover of band members and that probably none of them were alive for the original release I couldn't miss it. He's not as chatty as he used to be but with a set that included a track from across the back catalogue (including Yeah x5 from the often forgotten Watusi) bookending GB I went home most content. And without any ringing of the ears.

Comment

Anyone going to see Belle & Sebastian on the current tour?

Comment

I went to see Tom Jones and Beverley Knight record a Christmas Gospel show tonight. About 200 people there. Tom is ace. He did two takes of the finale and even though Beverley wasn't happy with either he was like, yeah that will do.

Comment

I've been to a couple in the last week: You the Living at the Water Rats, supporting the Cesarians. They played a good set, although I wish I could hear the lyrics (maybe I'd be disappointed, I dunno). Flashing lights did me in, though, so I left before the Cesarians set. I really, really like them but the Water Rats is too small and packed to be comfortable.

Last night, Roy Ayers at the Jazz Cafe. He is a total ledge and it was quite wonderful. He started with Running Away, which took about 15 mins before the "doo-be-doo, run, run, run" bit, which everyone joined in on. He played the hits (or the ones everyone knows, anyway), Searching, Everybody loves the Sunshine, etc. Fab.

Comment

I went to see The Godfathers a couple of days ago. When Peter Coyne came onto the stage, he instantly reminded me of somebody: Benjm's semi-fictitious version of The Brotherhood Of Man's Martin Lee.

So I spent the entire 'gig' waiting for Peter Coyne to shout "SAVE! ALL! YOUR! KISSES! FOR! ME!" and then do his customary snarl.

Unfortunately, he didn't, but they were excellent nonetheless.
                                  Last edited by treibeis; 01-12-2017, 12:42.

Comment

I went to see the Fallen Women last night but had to leave early for another event. They are tremendous fun, although I don't share everyone's enthusiasm for the entire Fall catalogue. Spotted a few people from this forum there, too.

Comment

Did you (or any of 'ours') sing?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        Benjm's semi-fictitious version of The Brotherhood Of Man's Martin Lee.
                                        Just because the Old Bill couldn't make the charges stick, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I went to see Kevin Rowland do his DJ thing at the 100 Club the other day. He sings over versions of some of the songs too. Mostly northern soul/motown/girl group stuff but some punk, reggae and electro pop too. It was funny seeing the period perfect mods who'd been dancing in a groovy style to his opening salvoes sit down as if they'd been shot when he popped Together In Electric Dreams on.
                                        Last edited by Benjm; 03-12-2017, 14:16. Reason: forgot the reggae

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          Did you (or any of 'ours') sing?
                                          I've been urged to sing but I don't think Fall songs would do my voice justice, and vice versa.

I left before the end so I have no idea who else sang.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            It was funny seeing the period perfect mods who'd been dancing in a groovy style to his opening salvoes sit down as if they'd been shot when he popped Together In Electric Dreams on.
                                            Haha. It's a bit like that with the Old Antz crew vs The White Stripers. The former go mad to Red Scab or Beat My Guest, then freeze at the first bars of Stand and Deliver, when all the people in fancy dress jump up.

Comment

Moonlandingz at the 100 Club last night with Terry Hall and Don Letts DJing.

I enjoyed Moonlandingz more than last time, but the audience this time included the sort of arseholes you get at Fat White Family gigs - the Moonlandingz being a shoot-off of FWF. So, lots of rough pushing and beer being thrown. I moved to the back and still got some beer thrown over my back. If I'd just been going for them, I'd have dressed accordingly (old tshirt, leggings and biker boots) but I was meeting people so had decent gear on and clean hair, bah.

Musically they're more together than before and pretty exciting.

The young support band, Nervous Conditions, did really well and featured some energetic sax reminiscent of the Pop Group / Pigbag styles.

Highlight for me was having a chat with Terry Hall, who smiled and came and stood next to me. We had a chat about our mutual friend (Siobhan) and stuff and he said he's going to Bananarama on Saturday. I'm going to other things or I'd be tempted. Actually I'm a bit gutted to be missing them. Oh well.

Comment

My plan is to catch Bananarama here in (I think) Feb, but they're only trickling out the really goddamn expensive tickets first. I don't want to dine with the band for $350, thanks. I want to sit down for...er...$65, please.

Comment

They're getting splendid reviews. The only beef seems to be about people standing and dancing in seats, so that people behind them can't see.

Comment

I went to see Soulwax at the Roundhouse yesterday. Same set as at the Festival Hall earlier in the year and a lovely evening with one brother and four friends of 30 years standing. But my god there were some arseholes with no idea of how to behave in a public space there. Bully for you that you've taken some drugs but shove my friend for a fourth time, having been politely asked not to after the first three, and the thought processes do start to get a bit moody. My name is Benjm and I'm an old codger.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X