No announcement yet.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benjm might be interested to hear that I saw The Fallen Women plus assorted friends and guests doing Mark E Smith turns last night, including DJ Debbie Smith. I thought about doing a version of Its the New Thing for about a minute and did actually practice it at home but am very glad I didn't attempt it.

It was a private affair but TFW (who include a few Nuns) are doing a night at the Lexington soon.

In other Fall related news, I was chatting to Brix last week and didn't recognise her.

Comment

The Fallen Women seem to be on at the Museum of London next Saturday as part of a Quietus event too. A pal and I are going to Covent Garden for a matinee and were wondering whether to go on to it (in a strictly non-singing capacity). The contrast is appealing but the four hour potential refreshment stop between the two might render it inadvisable.

I'm going to see Nick Cave associated gothabilly singer Shilpa Ray at The Social next week and have booked to see Kevin Rowland do his sing-jay thing at the 100 Club at the end of November too.

Comment

Saw Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at the O2 on Saturday night. Sat up high in the rafters at the far end from the stage. The 02 remains a pain in the arse to get around and to enter due to security but worth the trouble. The Ship Song and Into My Arms were the highlights for me, in a set that featured Skeleton Tree being played in full (maybe with one song admitted). So odd to see Cave play in such a massive venue, but so good to see him again. I did leave before the encore however as my knees were killing me.

Comment

Shilpa Ray was great at The Social last night. It was a bit like listening to an old radio detuning itself between stations playing Bikini Kill and Lana Del Ray, or early Nick Cave if his primary influence had been girl groups rather than the blues.

I used to think that The Social, while a great bar and club, was a terrible venue for live shows; it is a low ceilinged, narrow, concrete basement. Over the years it has grown on me, although having to go upstairs to use the toilet, rather than walking through the band to get to the one directly behind the stage, is a minor inconvenience.

Comment

Great British Alternative Music festival this weekend at Butlin's Skegness. SLF, Skids, Buzzcocks, Otway, Theatre of Hate, that sort of thing. Well, Toyah and Secret Affair are there too, but absolutely no chance of me catching that drivel.

Annual meet-up with group of eight other friends, so instead of canaling, or walking, or just hanging around some old pubs, we thought we'd give this a try. All of us in our 50s now (we'll be the youngest folks there I suspect). It'll be obviously dreadful, but as long as we have a good time, which we will, it'll be worth the effort.

(Crossover to weekend matchgoing: Two of the party support Wigan, who are at Scunthorpe on Saturday afternoon, so it could be that I go along to that with them.)

Comment

Went to excellent set by Fontaines, young Dublin band getting a bit of attention, well worth checking out

Comment

With apologies for London-centricity, Jah Wobble is doing a free in conversation and show at Whitechapel library on Friday, which should both be entertaining.

Comment

I'm going to the gig, can meet you beforehand, but I have to leggitt to Camden afterwards.

Comment

Lorde at the Zenith, Munich.

A bigger sound than what was on the recordings, but that was inevitable. Surprisingly engaging performer. Voice was spot-on.

Off to see the Jesus & Mary Chain on Sunday.

Comment

A friend saw the Mary Chain in Prague last night and said that they were on top form.

Jah Wobble and his band played a blinding set of dub, funk and electric jazz at Whitechapel Library last night. Some of the set piece patter was slightly familiar but he's engaging enough to get away with it. The library doesn't have an alcohol licence for its café but was allowing the audience to bring their own so it was a pleasure to share a couple of ready mixed G&Ts with MsD.

Comment

It really was a good set, and ta for the gin

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                          A friend saw the Mary Chain in Prague last night and said that they were on top form.
                          I was disappointed to be honest. I think they played one track from Psychocandy. No Upside Down. No Sometimes Always.

Comment

Saw St. Vincent last night at Brixton Academy. Have previously seen her on tour with David Byrne which was a lot of fun, and one of her solo shows at Shepherd's Bush which I can't remember much of tbh. Made sure that I'd get in relatively early and not have more than a few pints, so I could at least remember the show. There was no support, instead there was a screening of her short film 'The Birthday Party', only ruined by a couple of pricks behind who wouldn't shut up. Most of the audience watched in in near silence.

I think MASSSEDUCTION is an absolutely wonderful album, my favourite of hers without a doubt and I was intrigued as to how she was going to perform it. I'd seen clips of her performing solo, with no band but a backing tape, or accompanied solely by piano on songs like 'New York'. She came on at 9pm, dressed in pink, appearing to the left as we looked and performed a set of her earlier works, from Marry Me to St. Vincent. With each song she moved to her left, with a curtain revealing more of the sparse stage, and ended on the right of the stage playing 'Digital Witness'. Once that set was finished, she came back on 10 minutes later, with change of clothes and stepped on a raised platform at the centre and played MASSSEDUCTION in full, with various images for her latest videos. Personally, I thought it was wonderful. Brilliant songs, stage design, setlist and her voice never sounding so wonderful. She looks absolutely fabulous too, so much style.

Some excellent pics here https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/pho...demy-in-london

Heard one bloke saying 'it wasn't a gig' after leaving last night, and read a FB comment saying 'it was great, but i need a band for live music'. What a crock of shit.
                            Last edited by RobW; 18-10-2017, 13:11.

Comment

Tickets bought today for Green Gartside and Alexis Taylor at the Bury Met in December. Be nice to end a wretched year on a nice note.

Comment

I'm going to Polyfest, the annual tribute to the late X-Ray Spex superstar, on Saturday. A lengthy and varied line-up affords the rare opportunity to see MC Tunes and Anita Harris on the same bill.

That St Vincent show sounds great. RobW has consistently been giving me concert envy lately.

Comment

My mate Dave Barbarossa is playing Polyfest, with his new band We the Living. I don't know who else is on, because it clashes with Stoke Newington Festival.

I missed the Cesarians tonight to see Janet Kay at the Mascara Bar, and she was brilliant. She has a fantastic range, and was warm and friendly and encouraged us all to sing along. Her voice is powerful enough for her to be heard well above the whole bar, and she hits all those high notes. It was just wonderful - and free.

I have tickets for Jools on Tuesday night, still debating whether I can be bothered going to Maidstone or not. Hurray for the Riff Raff, Richard Thompson and a couple of interesting other acts. And the Stereophonics.

Comment

Now I've got Janet Kay envy too.

One point of interest on the Polyfest bill is Intastella ft. Jah Wobble; I'll be interested to get a sense of what that's like before deciding whether to spring for a ticket to their full show at Koko in February. Otherwise there seem to be lots of returning names from previous editions of the event.

Truth be told, I'm probably looking forward to Jane Weaver in Islington on Thursday a bit more.

Comment

Was at "all or nothing " the Small Faces musical on Friday, great nights entertainment, Paul Heaton and Jackie Abbott tomorrow, hopefully it will be as good

Comment

So, the 100 Club then. Does it have seats?

Comment

It depends what you're going to see. For pop concerts usually no, but I have been to a few things there where they put seats out.

Comment

It's the Tom Robinson Band tomorrow. I may have to pull out, as I can't stand up for more than five minutes at a time.

Comment

Maybe contact them to ask what they're planning; I've been to shows where they've had some café tables and chairs laid out left and right of the stage, with standing in front, and a classical thing that was fully seated, so it does vary according to the act/expected audience.

Comment

The standing difficulties are a temporary thing, I hope?

Comment

So do I...

Comment

Jane Weaver was absolutely brilliant at the Islington Assembly Hall last night. The set was pretty much all from her last two (superb) albums. The band were completely on top of the Deutsche Kosmische thing and JW was in great voice and a compelling presence. Very strongly recommended.

Nice venue too. It was a first visit for me; kicking myself again for not getting along to Kool & The Gang when they played there a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X