Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

The Big Gig Thread 2017

I thought that the year had peaked early when Charlotte Church did Hometown Unicorn tonight at The Lexington, but by encoring with Last Night A DJ Saved My Life she proved me wrong.

I'll try to post a more reasoned critique later but, basically, Charlotte rules!

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Sad news for anyone going to see Adam play in the US or Canada this week.

Tom Edwards, the guitarist has died, aged 41, so shows are postponed for now. Philly and NYC are off.

They played Boston, Chicago and Washington, all great shows.

Edit: Back for Toronto, apparently.

LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!
    Biscuit
    TUC Sandwich
    Actor
    Peter Lorré

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Been a slow start to the year for me, but made up for it by attending 4 IVW gigs this week, 3 at the Adelphi and a trip to Hebden Bridge Trades Club on Thursday to witness the ever increasing momentum being gained by Cabbage. 1st night of a UK tour that's as good as sold out every venue, the lads had the small room captivated amidst a great atmosphere. Support from Avalanche Party, a band I've seen enough times to know that they're potentially another phenomenon waiting to happen, and Goa Express, young shavers who made a reasonable noise, and whose bass player had magnificent hair.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Adam Ant blew the roof off the joint. Stellar. Full review tomorrow when the ringing in my ears stops.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Well, that was a blast. And yes, Hugh Fatbastard was in attendance.

Surprisingly good openers Glam Skanks (LA Girl/Glam/Punk outfit) started with a few of their duds and saved the barnburners for the end. Good response from the crowd.

Adam came on to a sold-out house at 9 sharp. Place was packed with slightly pudgy old punks in leather who were up for it. Played the standard tour setlist, but really tight and energetic. After KOTWF, Adam finally spoke to the crowd, dedicating the night to guitarist Tom Edwards (RIP) and then playing his favourite song, Beat My Guest.

Never seen AA before, so wasn't sure what to expect. Apparently he's not big on the audience chit-chat. A random 'thank you' to the crowd brought the house down. Wildly energetic set and tight band. No idea who they are, as they weren't introduced and the internet apparently doesn't contain that information.

L was pleasantly surprised and my daughter had a good time. Apparently she thought we were going to see "some Barenaked Ladies sort of thing", but the t-shirts in the lobby and the "old people in leather pants" quickly changed her mind. She also said her "ears feel funny" after the gig. Yeah...they'll do that.

Recommended.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Glad you enjoyed it, and HB got to go.

A friend who knows Adam said he didn't seem himself, which is understandable, and was crying when he mentioned Tom.

The band are Will Crewdson on guitar, Joe on bass, and Jola and Andy on the drums. I wonder if the guitar was turned up to try to fill in the sound? They've all been with him for a couple of years now. Joe and Will play in other bands - Will has a few projects and plays for The Selector and Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Is he normally chatty with the crowd? He didn't seem inclined that way at all. Yeah, the dedication was emotional and the crowd understood.

The guitar levels were indeed way up, but the sound was full and robust regardless. Even the pseudo horn fills on G2S.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

He hasn't been super chatty for the last year or so, but he's said a few things, once the Kings album is done. And always introduces the band, usually very nicely.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

No band intro last night, but I'm sure he was just trying to keep it together after the death and the cancelled shows. Damn, but those drummers are a tight unit.

Honestly, taking my 14 year old daughter was the fun bit.

"Wait...what does this guy look like?"
    "Uh....sort of like a punk....pirate....Indian sort of thing."
    "Seriously?"

Rebellion is a platitude
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    Anything with cheese
    Actor
    Joe 90

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Anthrax at the Kentish Town Forum next Friday. They're playing Among The Living in full, start to finish, then presumably will hit us with a few from the new album.

Don't even care that I'm going on my own. I'm going to rock the fuck out.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits

The Big Gig Thread 2017

WOM wrote: "Place was packed with slightly pudgy old punks in leather..."

Reminds me of a Dead Can Dance gig I was dragged to a couple of years ago at the Strathmore in Bethesda. Wardrobes had been ill-advisedly ransacked and fans were bursting out of their gothballed leathers and t-shirts - particularly tight and challenging were those long skirts that were already impossible to walk around in back in 1983. It was more like a Fetishism for the Over-50s fair.

Rebellion is a platitude
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    Anything with cheese
    Actor
    Joe 90

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Anthrax at the Kentish Town Forum next Friday. They're playing Among The Living in full, start to finish, then presumably will hit us with a few from the new album.

Don't even care that I'm going on my own. I'm going to rock the fuck out.
    Got that wrong, it's next Friday. Anyway. Excitement remains at record levels.

Rebellion is a platitude
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    Anything with cheese
    Actor
    Joe 90

The Big Gig Thread 2017

So. How to sum that up?

I'll go with "fucking hell".

You won't ever see a tighter, more disciplined band than Anthrax. Seriously. What a unit, and what a back catalogue.

Such a fun evening. I've sung myself hoarse and I don't even care.

LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!
    Biscuit
    TUC Sandwich
    Actor
    Peter Lorré

The Big Gig Thread 2017

London OTF types, if you find yourself at a loose end tonight, and aren't that far away from Brixton, you could do no worse than venture to the Windmill and catch Avalanche Party, a band I've mentioned before around these parts. I guarantee it will be worth an evening of your time.

Dhéanfadh mé mo chuile dhícheall chun a bheith ar meisce, go scanreoidh sé an saol mór

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Girl Band at Vicar Street tonight then (hopefully) Sleigh Bells at Whelans on Sunday night, for me.

LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!
    Biscuit
    TUC Sandwich
    Actor
    Peter Lorré

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Anyone aware of the Senseless Things reunion gig at Shepherds Bush Empire? Turns out they're doing a warm up here at the Adelphi. I've got a ticket purely to placate my older brother, who's stupidly excited.

Dhéanfadh mé mo chuile dhícheall chun a bheith ar meisce, go scanreoidh sé an saol mór

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Well, that was a terrific weekend for music. Girl Band were their usual brilliant selves, a slab of brilliant noise collapsing on top of the audience as their lead singer powers his performance with some very deep shit he's dredging up from within himself. The Joy Division comparisons are apt, in this sense. Lyrically they're a world away from Curtis' dystopian depictions of humanity and they don't have that band's haunting qualities. What they do share is an affinity for an almost industrial sonic aesthetic, using sounds that other bands would throw away and instead building entire compositions around them.

Sleigh Bells have similarly abrasive properties but they whisper sweet nothings in your ear while pounding you with a sledgehammer. Alexis Krauss is a phenomenal frontwoman - kinetic, note-perfect, completely wrapped up in what she's doing. Distilled to their basics, the songs themselves are pure pop, it's just that they're given an undercarriage of the strongest metal. Comeback Kid and Infinity Guitars sounded exactly as I'd hoped - massive, stomping beats pulverising you into submission as crunching metal guitars and Krauss' vocals slice over the top. Amazing stuff.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Lots of small gigs for me, lately.

This Friday saw a choice of three mates' bands playing over town, but I opted for Jim Jones and friends at Big Red. It's a looser format than the JJ Revue, lots of covers and guest singers.

Nigel Burch and various other acts at my local, the Mascara Bar, last night.

All excellent.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Canadian white-bluesman Colin James last night at Massey Hall. The sort of thing I tend to enjoy compared to, say, a kick in the nuts, a poke in the eye or dysentery. Lots of dreary, tired, hackneyed blues riffs layered over dreary, tired, hackneyed blues lyrics. Two hours that felt like eight. You know you're in for a treat at a 'blues' show with no unhappiness to be seen and no black people in the audience.

Blech.

Lisa loved it, mind, which is why we were there.

The Big Gig Thread 2017

A bit late for you, WOM, but Adam is really loosening up towards the end of the North American tour and starting to chat a bit.

Here he's having fun with Get It On/Physical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At6BfZPGRNg&feature=youtu.be

They're touring Oz and NZ later in the year.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip

The Big Gig Thread 2017

For the first show back after the death of his guitarist, he can be forgiven. It was a lot of fun.

Have a good time all the time, that's my philosophy, Marty!
    Teams
    Bath City, Wales.
    Biscuit
    Fig roll - deal with it.
    Actor
    Vincent Price (increasingly)

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Bloody hell, I completely missed the news about his guitarist. Terrible.

Have a good time all the time, that's my philosophy, Marty!
    Teams
    Bath City, Wales.
    Biscuit
    Fig roll - deal with it.
    Actor
    Vincent Price (increasingly)

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Hamish! Dougal! wrote: Anyone aware of the Senseless Things reunion gig at Shepherds Bush Empire? Turns out they're doing a warm up here at the Adelphi. I've got a ticket purely to placate my older brother, who's stupidly excited.
    It's been all over my Facebook timeline as my old band used to play with them a lot (indeed, gave them some of their early supports), we shared management and and friends and we came from the same area. Indeed we shared musicians. Ben from the Senseless Things was - and still is - our guitarist's borther and he stepped in on bass and, for our last reunion, guitar for his brother who lives in NZ. In thinking about it, we shared girlfriends as well.

I am not their biggest fan and, certainly, preferred some of their earlier stuff but am no expert. While I get on well with Ben and Morgan, the bass player, Cass the drummer was a mouthy git (as was I) and I never got on greatly with Mark the singer at the time. Never really thought about it until, in an odd FB exchange, he had an unsolicited pop at me a couple of years ago. I thought it was odd that he even particularly remembered me - especially as he had taken up being a junkie in the interim - and, especially, the rather mundane domestic events that he had a pop at me about.

Even though I say this - and I say it for context to my next point, I know that Cass, Ben and Morgan - having all played with big professional acts such as Gorillaz, Muse, The Who - are going to treat rehearsing seriously, what I have heard is that they are having a great time rehearsing and apparently Mark is clean nowadays. I reckon that, if you liked them then, you will like them live now especially at a smaller place like the Adelphi which is very similar to the sort of places they started out.

Enjoy but check out Ben's current band, Thee Faction, who are great.

LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!
    Biscuit
    TUC Sandwich
    Actor
    Peter Lorré

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Here's hoping, then. Cheers for the insight.

It seems that the City Of Culture tag is starting to bear musical fruit, as earlier this week a couple of blinding gigs were announced to take place in Zebedee's Yard, a relatively new art space which was a school courtyard. Primal Scream supported by Echo and the Bunnymen on Friday 23rd June, with Flaming Lips and Public Service Broadcasting the following night. Got tickets for both, and am as happy as a dog with two cocks.

All the world is birthday cake
    Teams
    Ajax, BVB

The Big Gig Thread 2017

Bought tickets for two for the Best Kept Secret festival this June and the North Sea Jazz festival this July, when the only announced names were Radiohead and Arcade Fire for the former and nobody for the latter. The last two weeks we heard that we are additionally going to see:

BKS: Run The Jewels, James Blake, Metronomy, Soulwax, Thundercat, STUFF.
    NSJ: Usher & The Roots, Gladys Knight, De La Soul, Erykah Badu, Jamiroquai, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Mavis Staples, Kamasi Washington and The Next Step, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Some big gigs indeed. Very pleased with that.