No announcement yet.

Old Enough to Drink and Superdraft - MLS 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of speculation TFC would rotate most of their players tonight. But apart from Giovinco and Altidore, it's pretty much a first XI. Vazquez and Ricketts up front, Osorio slots in as an attacking midfielder, Hasler starts in place of Beitashour. Have to think Montreal losing played a role here: Impact will have effectively nothing to play for on Wednesday so we can rest some players mid-week. Prediction: TFC 2-1 LAG

Comment

Well that was hilarious. One-nil.

Comment

Ricketts. Two-nil. Almost certainly game over. Eleven points clear.

Comment

Atlanta has drawn enormous crowds in the first two games at the Falcons new stadium and both games have featured a lot of goals. I suspect a lot of those people had never been to a soccer match before, so it's good to put on a show.

Comment

Attendance today was 70,000, apparently. Atlanta have had a fantastic first season. Great addition to the league.

Ricketts. Vazquez. 4-0. On pace for 73 points.
            Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 17-09-2017, 04:31.

Comment

Jay Heaps, sacked.

Minnesota gets a new CEO from the Timberwolves.

FC Edmonton sent people to Canadian Premier League meetings, and won't join USL if the NASL goes down.

Comment

So. Can't win 'em all.

Comment

Former TFC striker Mo Babouli joins Al-Ittihad...of Aleppo.

This seems enormously unwise.

Comment

NASL has sued the USSF over whatever happens to have come through its collective mind at the moment, and the quotes from today's press conference are amazing in all sorts of bizarre ways.

Philly turned down European offers for Roland Alberg.

Portland Thorns lose Nadia Nadim to Man City women in January.

Rumors out of Montreal are suggesting that current Miami FC coach Alessandro Nesta will replace Mauro Biello as head coach, and that Joey Saputo is going to clean house of medical, technical, and pretty much every other part of staff after the year. They also resigned Nacho Piatti.

DC is opening the upper deck for the final game.

Kevin Doyle retired, having been out with head issues for sometime from Colorado.
                    Last edited by jefe; 29-09-2017, 04:08.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                      Jay Heaps, sacked.

FC Edmonton sent people to Canadian Premier League meetings, and won't join USL if the NASL goes down.
                      Saskatchewan wants to build a stadium for the CPL, apparently. In Regina or Saskatoon or both. I forget.

I don't really follow the NBA, but I know enough to know that this doesn't really inspire confidence.

Comment

NASL has sued the USSF over whatever happens to have come through its collective mind at the moment, and the quotes from today's press conference are amazing in all sorts of bizarre ways.

Philly turned down European offers for Roland Alberg.

Portland Thorns lose Nadia Nadim to Man City women in January.

Rumors out of Montreal are suggesting that current Miami FC coach Alessandro Nesta will replace Mauro Biello as head coach, and that Joey Saputo is going to clean house of medical, technical, and pretty much every other part of staff after the year. They also resigned Nacho Piatti.

DC is opening the upper deck for the final game.

Kevin Doyle retired, having been out with head issues for sometime from Colorado.
                        The final game at RFK is this year? I didn't realize the new place was so close do being done.

Comment

Yep. Opens sometime in the summer of next year; the standard multiroad game death march to open the season is expected.

Comment

If you'd told me four years ago we were going to win the shield on the strength of a hattrick from our left back, I'd have called you certifiable.

But not tonight.

Comment

Really irritated MLS didn't have their shit sufficiently together to present us with the Shield on the night we won it. On the other hand, having them present it to us in front of the Impact two weeks from now is excellent. As is the notion of the Impact having to give us an honour guard.

Comment

And the Caps are the first in the West to clinch a play-off spot, with an unlikely win in KC.

Comment

Reds-caps final, Amor. Stop denying it. It's going to happen.

Comment

It could happen but I still can't really believe it will. Last night we had one shot and scored with it. SKC missed a penalty, several clear open goals, and our back-up goalie played out of his socks. Parking the bus and playing for the break has, somehow, given us the best away record in the West. Yesterday we were Greece when they won the Euros, at other times though we just plain suck — 0–3 to Seattle last Wednesday. We own the lowest possession rate in MLS, by some distance, at one point against KC it was 23%. Can you win championships with kick and rush football like that these days? I suppose Leicester did, kinda.

Truth is all three Cascadia teams will likely make the play-offs. We'll have to play our way past at least one of them, and this year both Portland and Seattle own us. Much as I'd love to beat TO at BMO (which it is totally what would happen) I'll still be astonished if we get the opportunity.

Comment

If we were to lose at home for a second year in a row to the Whitecaps I wouldn't lay very good odds on your boys making it out of the stadium unscathed. Seems like the kind of thing that would start a riot.

Comment

Nashville announced a stadium plan. $275 million, only $25 of which to be paid by the city, the rest ownership, MLS, or tax revenue from the stadium.

2018 Canadian Championship expands to include the winners of the Quebec and Ontario leagues, Quebec's being from some place called Blainville.

Dallas heavily fucked up last weekend. They swapped Tesho Akindele for Michel Barrios after the team sheets were handed in before the match. They then subbed on an ineligble Barrios late on. Hello, likely forfeit to Orlando.

Comment

Blainville is a suburb of Montreal

Does Nashville get a MLS team if they have a ground? I’ve read reports both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                                            If we were to lose at home for a second year in a row to the Whitecaps I wouldn't lay very good odds on your boys making it out of the stadium unscathed. Seems like the kind of thing that would start a riot.
                                            Nah. That's our thing, not your thing.

Comment

From Michael Bradley's letter to fans this AM, re: winning the shield:

But just as importantly, to win the Shield would guarantee that the last game we play this season will be at BMO Field.

If anyone is going to end our season, they’re going to have to do it on our field, in our weather, with our supporters, our fans, and the entire city of Toronto behind us.

Interesting he started with the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Blainville is a suburb of Montreal

Does Nashville get a MLS team if they have a ground? I’ve read reports both ways.
                                                There was something that got out today to the effect that they had now been automatically granted a team. MLS HQ very quickly squashed that, saying no decision til December.

Comment

Nashville announced a stadium plan. $275 million, only $25 of which to be paid by the city
                                                  That really is a very, very small percentage...

Comment

FAO ursus and anyone else here familiar with the Bay Area, the PDL Burlingame Dragons owner wants to go pro for 2019, as San Francisco FC. And build a modular stadium in the swamps on the bay shore right where you run out of airport hotels south of SFO. USL itself is going to go to 3 conferences either next year or in 2019.
                                                    And when he discovered that it would cost upwards of $3m to do that plus extra environmental and parking issues, he tried negotiating to play at AT&T. And when that fell through, he pulled his application and is folding the Dragons.

Greg Garza out for 4 weeks; Michel de Leewu for the rest of the year with an ACL.

Alex Morgan and a couple OCSC players got chucked out of Epcot for causing a ruckus at the British pub there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X