No announcement yet.

Old Enough to Drink and Superdraft - MLS 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta are about to make Independiente's entire board of directors the happiest men north of Antarctica by sending them $14M for Ezequiel Barco.

Comment

That's...a lot of money for an 18 year-old.

I wonder if they have some crazy idea that one or two MLS teams could fill the role that River and Boca used to play - places to put really talented Argentines in the shop window for a year or two and surviving off the spread in transfer fees. I always thought that system broke down because the big European teams realized that with a minimum amount of scouting, they could just sign the best players themselves and get rid of the middle man. But maybe there's a role for an intermediary if said intermediary provides slightly more European-like conditions (better training, a more international playing environment, english)?

(I haven't watched argentinian football in years - could anyone hazard a guess at standard of play vs. MLS thee days? Higher? Lower? Similar?)

Comment

MLS announced the 4 expansion finalists for the 2 slots to be announced mid next month-Nashville, Cincinnati, Sacramento, and Detroit.

Rapids are bringing in Edgar Castillo from Monterrey, most likely, and officially hired the guy who was just coaching New Zealand as their new HC.

SJ hired their new coach.

Mark Geiger and Jair Marrufo get to ref at the World Cup.

According to Don Garber, MLS HQ has already turned down bids of $5M for a Red Bull that is not Tyler Adams and $15M for someone on Atlanta.

Comment

1-0. Through by the skin of our teeth.

Though if we were to lose to anyone in the playoffs it would have been best to lose to the Crew. A final in Columbus where Garber would have had to face all those angry fans would have been great.

Comment

Aaaaaand MLS and Toronto FC have combined to tell us that season ticket-holders can go fuck themselves, we are 100% not going to get our own seats for the final. Just first-come first served, basically. Assholes.

Comment

Huh?

Is that after the "MLS Family" skims the best off the top?

Does the Western club get an allocation?

What did they do last year?

Comment

Last year they didn't guarantee spots, but when you bought you could look at a stadium map and choose your seats, if available (mine were). This year, they have very specifically disabled the seat map.

The change in ticketing rules is necessary because it is an MLS event not a TFC event (which means in part, I think the bit you mentioned re: allocations for MLS family), so our seat arrangements don't apply.

Seattle brought a few hundred last year. We give them the same seats we give all travelling fans - nosebleeds up in the northeast corner (we are very Spanish that way).

Sorry - to be clear (realised earlier post may not have been): STHs get first dibs at tickets. We're all guaranteed to get in. We're just not guaranteed our own seats.

Comment

Whitecaps have signed Venezuelan striker Anthony Blondell. Looks like a decent shout. 23 goals this season — but, yeah, in Venezuela. He must be better than Hurtado, and, assuming Fredy Montero stays (not clear), we could have a goal-scoring [cough] production line.

Comment

23, one cap for Venezuela

Only one full season in their top flight.

Worth a punt, I guess

Comment

AG, that sounds like incompetence more than anything else.

Once one offers season ticket holders first right of refusal, the only reason not to offer them their usual seats is if those seats have been promised to “friends and family”, which is something that happens at every marquee sporting event in the developed world.

But they should know which seats have been requisitioned. Blacking our seat selection for everyone just creates a free for all and pisses off more customers.

Comment

Incompetence is deeply ingrained at TFC. One or two record-breaking seasons won't change that.

Comment

Rochester's taking 2018 off after not raising enough $$$ to play.

Comment

Weirdly, after TFC said Ticketmaster was taking the seat map offline, it worked after all (though pretty clearly a lot of STHs are just hitting "best available" anyway, which is weird). So I'm feeling good today. Lightning isn't going to strike twice, We will win 1-0 with a terrible goal bouncing in off Marky Delgado's ass or some such.

(later: they seem to have disabled the map for mobile but not PC - just weird).
                            Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 01-12-2017, 15:35.

Comment

It's 104.5 hours to game time and I am a total wreck. I really can't think about much else.

I know in my head this should be an easier game than either of the two series we just finished because Seattle has basically faced shit opposition (short-handed shit opposition in Houston's case) since October and they are coming in to our house and all the rest of it. But I don't feel it. No one in Toronto does. We've looked shaky since the Montreal disaster and the swagger is gone. It's not nervousness in the game so much as a caution in play that has drained everything that was great about the team in the summer. We can still win - we probably will win, by a lone shit goal that bounces in off Ricketts' hind parts around minute 75 - but in the meantime it's just anticipation and dread.

I don't think I can handle losing again.

Comment

FC Tuscon is hosting another massive preseason tournament, them, USL Phoenix. everyone in MLS out west except Vancouver and LAFC, and SKC, the Red Bulls, and Revs.

The Charleston Battery tourney is them, Atlanta, Minnesota, and Columbus.

RSL women are officially named Utah Royals FC.

And Sunil's not running for reelection to head the USSF.

Comment

Ok this is genuinely weird.

Comment

I can't believe none of you have reported last week's astonishing revelation that MLS now has a headphones partner: “We’d like to welcome JLab Audio to the MLS family,” said Carter Ladd, Vice President of Business Development, MLS. “This is an example of two growing, increasingly relevant brands partnering to continue their upward trajectory. We look forward to working with our new partners at JLab for many years to come.”

Although Carter fails to mention that he's "excited" to be working with JLab Audio, so I'm not completely convinced.

Comment

Forecast for game time: 1C, no snow, winds of 11kmh (but bet it will be twice that down by the lake).

I'm incapable of thinking rationally about this afternoon - anyone else have predictions?

Comment

I could say something sarcastic, but I'll bite my tongue. I've no desire to squelch your enthusiasm.

Comment

TFC FINALLY breaks through! Altidore bags it.

68 minutes gone.

Edit. Full time Vázquez adds another for a deserved 2-0 final.

Major congrats AG!
                                          Last edited by Cal Alamein; 09-12-2017, 23:24.

Comment

Well that was fucking great. I've never been so happy to hear 27,000 people singing Depeche Mode.

I'm not sure what else to say to be honest. I've never followed a team that won a championship before.

Bradley shoulda been MVP. He was spectacular. I mean, they all were, but he was on another level.
                                            Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 10-12-2017, 02:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                                              Well that was fucking great. I've never been so happy to hear 27,000 people signing Depeche Mode.

I'm not sure what else to say to be honest. I've never followed a team that won a championship before.

Bradley shoulda been MVP. He was spectacular. I mean, they all were, but he was on another level.
                                              Well done. They won everything this year. Fantastic.

Comment

Wa-hey! Campeone! Etc... Bloody Stefan Bloody Frei had me believing I was watching a replay of last year's final. Agree with AG about Bradley being MVP, he was everywhere, but really who cares about such things? As long as the confetti is red.

Comment

Only saw the second half but TO were clearly the better team, both on the day and the season. So well done, just goes to show money can buy you love.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                    Only saw the second half but TO were clearly the better team, both on the day and the season. So well done, just goes to show money can buy you love.
                                                    Eventually, perhaps. The ownership hasn't changed, but they've managed to bollocks things up until now.

Those are some begrudged congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X