Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Enough to Drink and Superdraft - MLS 2017

I have mine.

New England-Orlando for tomorrow is already called off-6 degrees at game time with the wind chill expected, rescheduled for September 2. And the poor SOB who'd already flown in from Denver for the opener will be flown to another game at the team's expense.

Mix Diskerud is being loaned to IFK Gothenberg til the summer, and RBNY imports a Norwegian international defender from the mothership in Austria.

The once and future Carolina Railhawks have teamed up with CASL in Raleigh and Triangle FC Alliance to instantly create themselves a massive academy.

Comment

Minnesota is not off to a good start.

Two games. Two goals scored, including one PK, and 11 conceded. Eleven.

The weather for the home opener was rough. Snowing and cold. My friend who lives there said he and his family left at half. The score and the cold combined to make it too miserable.

Comment

Comment

Now someone in the Bahamas is looking into a USL team for 2019, with help from AEG.

North Carolina FC v Atlas, 3/22

Chicago is still chasing Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Carlos Ruiz went after Ben Olsen and his coaching ability to twitter, to little effect.

Colorado loses Axel Sjoberg for 2 months to a hamstring injury, and signs another centerback lately of Sacramento Republic.

Comment

Dom Dwyer received his US citizenship. Arena said that he would have been called in to camp in January if he had been healthy, even though he wouldn't have been able to play in a game, so it's safe to assume that he'll get a chance to play for the USA at some point.

Has there ever been a husband and wife that have represented national teams at the same time? I'm assuming not, I can't think of another international player that was married to an equally talented footballer.

Comment

Ronaldo And Milene Domingues both played for Brazil. Not sure if they both won caps whilst married - they divorced around the time of the 2003 World Cup, for which she was part of the Brazil squad, but I can't find an exact date for her first cap.

Comment

Her first cap is from 2003, but she didn't get on the pitch in the World Cup. As the team didn't play that year after they were eliminated in the US, it seems that she was first capped while still married to Ronaldo.

There isn't any doubt about the paternity of her son, btw

Comment

Holy moly

Comment

Uncanny. Even more so than Kluivert's son from that thread a while back.

Comment

Cosmos will have games telecast locally on MSG and WPIX.

Dom Dwyer is now a US citizen; Bradley Wright-Phillips got his green card.

New Canadian MNT coach is an old friend-Octavio Zambrano.

Atlanta has sold out game #2.

Comment

SF Deltas are going to stream home games on Twitter.

Jeff Cassar sacked by RSL, the quickest ever coach firing in MLS.

After a long long chase, the Fire get Schweinsteiger from Man United. $4.5M for one year; option for a 2nd.

The USSF made $43M on Copa America Centenario, so it's not surprising that Globo sports in Brazil says Copa America's coming back. Brasil hosts 2019; we get in 2020, and then it moves to coincide with the Euros, they say.

A rumor is going around that NYCFC have basically offered Andres Iniesta a blank check to come play for them.

Comment

Something's in the water in Richmond. The Kickers' home opener drew 8,000+. San Francisco Deltas meanwhile only drew 4,000 and change to theirs.

Injuries, injuries everywhere: Chad Barrett, done for the season. Sebastian Lletget, out 4-6 months after surgery on the foot injured v Honduras. Josef Martinez, out 4-6 weeks with a quad injury. Ignacio Piatti-groin injury, out for a few weeks.

Drogba's back, playing for Phoenix in the USL somehow. 3 year deal, after turning down Corinthians.

Comment

What's the deal with Richmond, Jefe? I only went there once, for an Open Cup game against the Galaxy in 2007 - I've no recollection of how many were there that night, but I don't think it was anywhere close to 8,000. Have they done anything to that charming but ramshackle old stadium?

Comment

They're planning to. Either in this or last year's thread I put that they want to drop tens of millions into gradual upgrades to the stadium. They set an attendance record last year overall, and a then single game league attendance record in the last game of the season, and got 7,100 for an exhibition against Swansea last summer as well. Sponsorship records are being set as well. Someone appears to have gotten something nicely going.

New RSL coach-Mike Petke, shock.

An ownership group for both a NASL/USL men's & NWSL women's team has emerged in Atlanta, and they're planning on building a multifield complex way the hell out in the eastern suburbs. Men's team to play next year and be announced "soon" which league they're joining; women's in 2019.

The owner of Boise's minor-league baseball team wants to build a stadium to house them and an expansion USL team downtown.

Comment

Cheers for Richmond update - good to hear the game's on the rise there.

Re. Atlanta, didn't the Silverbacks play in eastern (or north-east) Atlanta? I seem to remember driving past their stadium, but can't even recall now if they still exist. It's all getting very vintage NASL-like in the second and third tiers and I can't keep up.

Comment

"Silverbacks Park" is about 15 miles northeast of downtown, adjacent to the cloverleaf intersection of I-285 (the main ring road) and I-85

The "Atlanta Sports City" complex jefe mentioned is next to a mall (of course) in DeKalb County, about 25 miles east of downtown.

Comment

Speaking of Atlanta, Mercedes Benz Stadium's opening might be delayed again past July 30. That could be a big problem because Georgia Tech will need their stadium back in time for the college football season to start, and it's not known if Atlanta could play games there during the football season.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/football/roof-issues-pose-risk-another-delay-mercedes-benz-stadium/AD33lATW4eNdzZCRlzZ3RI/

Comment

Well, Silverbacks Park sounds like it'll be available.

Comment

The person running the Atlanta effort wants nothing to do with either the Silverbacks or their park. Part of the reason is that the interchange which it is not to is one of the most traffic choked in the entire nation, apparently.

Vancouver trades Kekuta Manneh to Columbus for Tony Tchani and a whopping $300K of allocation money. Along with that-If Columbus signs Manneh to a new contract this year-Vancouver gets their 1st round draft pick. If Columbus trades him before 12/31/18, Vancouver gets extra allocation money. If he signs abroad, Vancouver gets a chunk of the transfer fee.

Philly is looking to loan out one of their young non-playing defenders to Europe.

The USL is going to set up a 3rd division starting in 2019. Likely regionalized schedule, details to be rolled out from summer to end of this year.

Also, DCU's being sued over concussions. Again.

Dallas extended Oscar Pareja's contract; RBNY re-signed Bradley Wright-Phillips to a huge raise as well.

If the referendum on the stadium in St. Louis passes and they get their team, they'd start chasing an NWSL team also.

Comment

Minnesota panic trade shock: Mohammad Saied and Josh Gatt to Colorado for Sam Cronin and Marc Burch.

Comment

The person running the Atlanta effort wants nothing to do with either the Silverbacks or their park. Part of the reason is that the interchange which it is not to is one of the most traffic choked in the entire nation, apparently.
                                            And access will have gotten considerably worse now that a section of I-85 closer to downtown has collapsed after a tire fire (literally) underneath one of its elevated sections.

Comment

Minnesota are currently hosting RSL. The word MINNESOTA runs the whole width of the penalty box, straight across the 6 yard box. At both ends.

It looks fucking stupid, and I can't see the (white) ball when it goes into that area.

*I probably missed it last time, as they played in a covering of thick snow.

Comment

Courtesy of using the University of Minnesota's stadium while they build their own.

Comment

And they are hammering RSL 4-1, with over 20 minutes to go.

Comment

Vancouver just spent the first 20 minutes of the second half being completely overrun, then scored two in a minute.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X