New Music For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Mix featuring Stormzy - Power

An appropriately titled belter of a track that surges through its frequent changes with gusto. Great singing, cool outfits.

Comment

Laura Pergolizzi aka LP https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMeswS8KgYo

Comment

JD Meatyard has a fine new album. He's angry, as he demonstrates on a track called Some People.

Comment

I chatted on Instagram with the bassist of the Regrettes about where she got her sunglasses.

Comment

Not new but new to me is When The Clouds' The Dawn & The Embrace, just about managing to stand out in the crowded category that is Italian instrumental post-rock. All very charming, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              The new Jane Weaver album well deserves the attention that it has been getting.
              I'm currently loving this on a daily basis.

Comment

I downloaded the Blue Aeroplanes LP but deleted it again after half a listen. I was a huge fan in the early 90s, but I don't see the point of bands like that cranking out LPs years later that sound exactly like they did 25 years ago.

Enjoying the Feist, though - thanks for the reminder upthread.

Comment

To my younger daughter's bemusement, I'm listening to the Lorde and Lana del Ray albums and really liking them both. Can't quite get into the new Arcade Fire, though, despite having 'Put Your Money On Me' as a not too irritating ear-worm for the past two days.

Any love on here for Japanese Breakfast?

Comment

I've been totally distracted by this song, this morning. OK, am a few weeks behind the rest of the world on this one, but that's my pace these days.

Boyfriend (Repeat) by Confidence Man. It's this year's daft Aussie pop too-cool-for-school feelgood hit of the year, following on from Princess Chelsea's Cigarette Song the other year. Anyway, here it is with lyrics, get it here.

Or, and this is even better, performed live at an Aussie festival recently.

Be warned, you will either love it or hate it.

Comment

Have to say I like it - as I do Confidence Man's previous, Bubblegum.

Jane Weaver, as mentioned above, is also mighty fine.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                        To my younger daughter's bemusement, I'm listening to the Lorde and Lana del Ray albums and really liking them both. Can't quite get into the new Arcade Fire, though, despite having 'Put Your Money On Me' as a not too irritating ear-worm for the past two days.
                        The Lorde album is very good indeed. Haven't heard the Lana Del Ray album but taking my daughter to see her next week (and taking her to see Lorde in October).

Comment

A random click whilst wandering around You Tube. Never heard of her before and the others of hers I listened to didn't particularly move me but this is great Alice Phoebe Lou - She

Comment

Following a few more annoying offerings, I quite like Beck's new song Dear life.

Comment

Nadia Struiwigh's album, 'Lenticular', on Central Processing Unit is superb. It's kind-of-ambient, kind-of-IDM and kind-of-noodly ...but not! Skip straight to tracks 6, 7 & 8 for (IMHO) the highlights.

She likes Autechre (which I mostly don't) so that might prepare you for her sound a little, I suppose.

Comment

This is a belting riproarer. I Will Spite Survive by Deerhoof. I've been aware of Deerhoof for some time without really having got it.

It's not perfect and there are some bits of the song I am not keen on, but the bits I do like, I really do like.

The best sections are: the first 25 seconds, the 'Sleep at night' bit and the 'stay alive' bit.

The 'outlive your executioners' and 'on tv' bits (early doors) are not as good. (the 'on tv' bit after 1 min 50 is good though). Also, on further listening, the second-half of the song is pretty ace all the way through.

Liking the lyrics though.

Comment

Tomorrow Syndicate are (is?) from Glasgow, little bit electropop, little bit Krautrock, little bit kosmische. They've done a couple of singles on Bandcamp.

Comment

The new LCD Soundsystem album, after maybe taking a while to get going, contains some - as I believe the young uns would have it - stone cold bangers.

Comment

Here are a few bits and pieces that have made it on to my Tumblr lately.

... And I Saw Her Again, Then She Was Gone by Bobby H Jones, otherwise known as I've Lost. Very minimal, hardly anything to it in fact, drifting ambient guitar.

Eternity, Rimbaud's poem set to music by Emily Hall and here sung by Olivia Chaney. Absolutely mind-blowing multi-tracked acapella performance.

Pure Ideology by Arsenic!, rather ramshackle shoegaze/dreampop.

Norfolk Before Dawn by The Memory Band, a field recording described accurately by the title.

Zero Gravity by Deutsche Bank, seamless post-Kraftwerk synthpop.

Trampoline (St Etienne remix) by Kero Kero Bonito, London-based but with a J-pop obsession.

Ce Que Je Suis by Holden, folkpop ballad with a (to my ears) gorgeous vocal.

Comment

That Jane Weaver is pretty good, but seems to lack the mesmeric intensity of 'The Fallen By Watchbird' - hopefully it'll grow. She's still one of the best indie-type artists around.

New Fall album is quite smart - here's 'Couples vs. Jobless Mid 30s'

Comment

Well, popped in here all excited to share my latest favourites, and then I see furtho has given me an hour's detour of my evening right there.

(btw the smileys in here available are rubbish - time for some customised ones methinks)

The LCD Soundsystem album, on first listen, is a great thing.

Baxter Dury is sweary on the otherwise incrediblly sleazy Miami, the first offering from a new album out next month.

Hannah Peel's new album will be out later this month. It includes Sunrise through The Dusty Nebula, which reminds me of Nimrod.
                                          Last edited by KGR; 07-09-2017, 22:01.

Comment

I've been enjoying Earl Grey, the debut album by Girl Ray.

Recommended tracks: Where Am I Now, Don't Go Back at Ten, and Trouble.

Comment

Good band with a sense of humour - they call to mind Marine Girls and their ilk.

Comment

New Sparks album. New Fall album*. What a week.

Just downloaded the new Alvvays, which is quite good, too. Your Type is a perfect two minutes of pop.

*A month ago. Good work, people.
                                                Last edited by WOM; 08-09-2017, 15:22.

Comment

Addictive single from the new Sparks album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0rzv1j8Zc

Comment

Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih View Post
                                                    Well, popped in here all excited to share my latest favourites, and then I see furtho has given me an hour's detour of my evening right there.

(btw the smileys in here available are rubbish - time for some customised ones methinks)

The LCD Soundsystem album, on first listen, is a great thing.

Baxter Dury is sweary on the otherwise incrediblly sleazy Miami, the first offering from a new album out next month.

Hannah Peel's new album will be out later this month. It includes Sunrise through The Dusty Nebula, which reminds me of Nimrod.
                                                    Pre ordered the Hannah Peel album a while back when Chris Hawkins played a track from it on 6 Music, looking forward to the full album.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X