Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mary Berry's got a job, so why don't you get a job?
    Teams
    Tamworth, Lincoln City
    Biscuit
    Viennese Whirl
    Actor
    Woody Harrelson

New Music For 2017

This new Paul Weller track is brilliant. Probably the best thing he's done since The Jam.
    You're all going to tear me to shreds now, aren't you.

New Music For 2017

Black Grape return.

I really like the instrumental track - which sounds very like early Geto Boys, long time Ryder favourites - and the video. Not sure whether the half spoken vocals will hold up to repeat listening.

I've got the Elm Street blues
    Teams
    Carlisle United
    Actor
    Mid 90s Mike Myers

New Music For 2017

No links to offer, but the new Feist album is remarkably good. I was a bit worried that the slightly OTT hype that Uncut magazine was giving it may turn out to be a case of emperor's new clothes, but it's a winner. Shame she couldn't have managed a slightly more extensive UK 'tour' mind.

Hopes this forum refit brings back Bignutz.
    Teams
    Birmingham City; Torquay United; Carlton Town
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll

New Music For 2017

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: No links to offer, but the new Feist album is remarkably good. I was a bit worried that the slightly OTT hype that Uncut magazine was giving it may turn out to be a case of emperor's new clothes, but it's a winner. Shame she couldn't have managed a slightly more extensive UK 'tour' mind.
    I've only heard the track with Jarvis, 'Century', which is really very good indeed. I was expecting not to like it, but it is too good.

I'm enjoying the base line and guitar lick in Staubsaugerbaby by Blind Butcher.

Mikkelsen, you son of a...

New Music For 2017

The new Kendrick Lamar record is very good. A lot smoother than To Pimp A Butterfly (which I found quite fidgety, to its detriment) with much more low-end. Though it'll take me time to forgive the bloody U2 cameo.

...nice though the abattoir is!
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Taffnell's Almond 'n' Raisin Shortie
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag

New Music For 2017

What I've heard indeed sounds pretty good - but certainly one track (DNA, I think) is anything but 'smooth'.

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney

New Music For 2017

Have any of you mentioned IDLES on here yet? If not you have let me down. If you did, I missed it and now regret it.

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney

New Music For 2017

Spotify threw up Happy Meals LTD (now HMLTD) on my Discover playlist. It's okay, but the bands sound and general focus on their appearance makes me think some OTF-ers could be much more supportive of them.

This NME article has videos for a few of their singles and a brief write-up

New Music For 2017

The new Jane Weaver album well deserves the attention that it has been getting.

Teams
    Grimsby Town FC
    Biscuit
    Rich Tea
    Nice second single from the War on Drugs' upcoming album.

Teams
    Oldham/Farnborough
    There's a new Ride album out. It sounds like they've spent a few years listening to The Besnard Lakes. Or maybe The Besnard Lakes spent a few years listening to Ride.

The track Charm Assault - particularly the chorus - sounds uncannily like the theme to CBeebies' Rhyme Rocket.

...nice though the abattoir is!
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Taffnell's Almond 'n' Raisin Shortie
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    Admittedly, I've only heard that and new single All I Want, but the new Ride material sounds remarkably fresh and contemporary: given how they (col)lapsed during the nineties, I was a tad surprised by this. I think that Erol 'Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve' Alkan's production has much to do with this.

Philosophy?
    Teams
    リーズ・ユナイテッド
    Actor
    Actor?
    New Melanie De Biasio single

No Deal three or so years ago was easily my album of that year
    Last edited by Haddock; 20-06-2017 at 12:24.

I'm nervous and my socks are too loose.
    Teams
    Liverpool FC
    Biscuit
    The sadly MIA Bandit Biscuit
    Actor
    Joe 90
    Dunno how long it's been out, but Royal Blood's Lights Out is currently doing it for me.

Ignore poster function enabled
    Teams
    Arsenal, JPS Lotus
    Biscuit
    Shortcake ...no, Custard Cream! ...no, Jammie Dodger...

Mary Berry's got a job, so why don't you get a job?
    Teams
    Tamworth, Lincoln City
    Biscuit
    Viennese Whirl
    Actor
    Woody Harrelson
    Quote Originally Posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Have any of you mentioned IDLES on here yet? If not you have let me down. If you did, I missed it and now regret it.
    Didn't see your post until now, but I linked to their rather appropriate Stendhal Syndrome on this thread. I've been listening to them for a while now since I first heard them on 6 music, and that's their lyrics on my personal text.

Hopes this forum refit brings back Bignutz.
    Teams
    Birmingham City; Torquay United; Carlton Town
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll
    Cred Wars is the first track to be publicised for the new Liars album out in August.

I'm a little disappointed on first listen. There is a hint of guitar fun at 2:11 in that threatens to join in but then quickly disappears.

Thank you for the Melanie De Biasio nudge, Haddock. I put her on my 2014 compilation after discovering her due to a tip on here. Gold Junkies is incredible.

A bastion of rightness in a wrong old world.
    Teams
    Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake
    Quote Originally Posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Spotify threw up Happy Meals LTD (now HMLTD) on my Discover playlist. It's okay, but the bands sound and general focus on their appearance makes me think some OTF-ers could be much more supportive of them.

This NME article has videos for a few of their singles and a brief write-up
    Jesus. That second song "Stained" sounds just like Bauhaus.

Teams
    Oldham/Farnborough
    New album by Public Service Broadcasting. They've moved on from 1930s nostalgia and the space race to make an album with a Welsh coal mining theme. I kid you not. Richard Burton's voice makes an obligatory appearance. It's not bad, but no real progression from the last couple of albums.

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    It got an absolute hammering by Luke Turner in the Quietus yesterday

Teams
    Oldham/Farnborough
    Wow. Just read that. You're not wrong. Neither is he, to be fair.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits
    Went to see some friends in Wales last week who've basically retreated to the countryside and, more specifically, their hut at the bottom of the garden where they get regularly baked. So it came to pass that I said at some late hour, "This music's fucking brilliant, what is it?" They said it was the new Charlatans album. This surprised me, because I thought The Charlatans were one of those crappy indie bands that brought out a couple of whiny, Velvets-servile LPs in the early 90s and then gave up, to the relief of everyone. Turned out I was quite wrong. They gave me a spare copy they'd accidentally bought (probably while monged), and so now I'm listening to it and still enjoying it. Not sure I can be arsed downloading the previous dozen LPs, though. Any recommendations from the back catalogue?

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    I'm liking the debut solo album from Wesley Gonzalez, who was previously in Let's Wrestle. It's guitar-less, with a lot of piano and horns carrying the songs. A lot of the songs remind me of XTC, perhaps mostly because he sounds like Andy Partridge.

"Piece of Mind"

"In Amsterdam"

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    I suppose I'll have to buy that. As my musical spirit guide, you're batting around .900, plus I like XTC.

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Went to see some friends in Wales last week who've basically retreated to the countryside and, more specifically, their hut at the bottom of the garden where they get regularly baked. So it came to pass that I said at some late hour, "This music's fucking brilliant, what is it?" They said it was the new Charlatans album. This surprised me, because I thought The Charlatans were one of those crappy indie bands that brought out a couple of whiny, Velvets-servile LPs in the early 90s and then gave up, to the relief of everyone. Turned out I was quite wrong. They gave me a spare copy they'd accidentally bought (probably while monged), and so now I'm listening to it and still enjoying it. Not sure I can be arsed downloading the previous dozen LPs, though. Any recommendations from the back catalogue?
    I'm no Charlatans expert but Mrs H plays her copy of Us And Us Only from time to time and it's got some decent enough tunes on it. My main reason for posting though is because it's always worth pointing out what an absolutely top bloke Tim Burgess is. In spite of his terrible hair.