No announcement yet.

New Music For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bopping all day to Plimsoll Punks off the new Alvvays album Antisocialites (noted by WOM above). Lovely jingle-jangle guitar and a vocal that, at times, only dogs can hear.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 09-09-2017, 00:01.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      New Sparks album. New Fall album*. What a week...
      As mentioned elsewhere, I went to see Sparks tonight, performing in the Rough trade east record shop (capacity 200) in a launch event for the album. They were excellent, as ever. The new album is really good and a return to the accessible but still-quirky pop of 'Gratuitous sax...' and 'Lil Beethoven'.

They remain the only band in the world that could call a song 'So Tell Me Mrs. Lincoln - Aside From That, How Was The Play?' :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        Bopping all day to Plimsoll Punks off the new Alvvays album Antisocialites (noted by WOM above). Lovely jingle-jangle guitar and a vocal that, at times, only dogs can hear.
        Also a marvellous track. Just a solid effort all around. They're playing 4 nights running at The Mod Club in December and apparently all four nights have been sold out for ages. Dang.

Comment

I am still listening to the Lana del Ray album. And I've gone from liking it to loving it.

Comment

"Put my red dress on / Went to referee a German Sunday league match"

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              "Put my red dress on / Went to referee a German Sunday league match"
              Ha ha, now there's a really fucking great idea. Actually I keep fantasising about the day I completely go wacko on them mid-game, and wondering exactly how that is going to manifest itself.

Comment

I liked what is sort of a debut album from Caroline Says (the stage name of Caroline Sallee). It was actually put out a few years back as a tape only, recorded in a home studio. So it's actually more of a re-release, but she will have a proper album release next year. A lot of different styles, but she's a good songwriter, and none of them seem like pastiches.

Caroline Says - "Winter Is Cold"

Caroline Says - "Gravy Dayz"

Caroline Says - "Lost Feeling"

Comment

Just downloaded the new Alvvays, which is quite good, too. Your Type is a perfect two minutes of pop
                  You're not wrong there though it doesn't half sound like something the Shop Assistants could have released in 1986 if they'd had a bit more money to lavish on production.

I'd also been enjoying the (appropriately enough) dreamy Dreams Tonite which is played approximately every 25 minutes on 6Music at the moment, but have now gone off it a little on discovering how it's spelt.

Comment

New Faith Healer is good, just as I thought about their last album.

WOM, they're from Canada and they'll be in Toronto Saturday night.

Faith Healer - "Might as Well"

Faith Healer - "& Waiting"

Comment

Another good Spotify Discover find. B boys, rather awkwardly described in (I think?) their press release as a mix of Fugazi and Katy Perry. Definitely heavier on the Fugazi.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        New Faith Healer is good, just as I thought about their last album.

WOM, they're from Canada and they'll be in Toronto Saturday night.

Faith Healer - "Might as Well"

Faith Healer - "& Waiting"

Yeah, they sound alright. Can't find where they are Saturday night, though. Their Bandcamp and label pages only show US shows for the next little while.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                          You're not wrong there though it doesn't half sound like something the Shop Assistants could have released in 1986 if they'd had a bit more money to lavish on production.
                          I think that's a lot of the appeal, for me. Someone here (sadly can't remember who) hooked me up with one of those amazing C86 compilations a while back, and Don't Want To Be Friends With You is on it.

Comment

A mention here for 'Quiet Ferocity' by Aussie act The Jungle Giants. Upbeat, poppy and easygoing. A bit like Clor (Anyone else remember them?)

Comment

I think that's a lot of the appeal, for me. Someone here (sadly can't remember who) hooked me up with one of those amazing C86 compilations a while back, and Don't Want To Be Friends With You is on it.
                              I think that was me.

Comment

Yeah, they sound alright. Can't find where they are Saturday night, though. Their Bandcamp and label pages only show US shows for the next little while.
                                It was last Saturday.

Comment

Here's some medieval-goth-drone from Poland, in the form of Gdansk outfit Trupa Trupa. To Me.

Comment

Omni - Southbound Station. XTC meets HMHB.

Comment

Here are a few more bits and pieces that have made it on to my Tumblr lately, all from around the indie/jangle/synthpop end of my taste.

Tomorrow Syndicate’s Okulomotor, kosmische pop musik from the heart of Mitteleuropa: Glasgow.

Werner Karloff’s Views Of Movement, thrilling minimal wave from Mexico City [hat tip to Clive for this one].

The Royal Landscaping Society’s Goodbye, beautifully constructed janglepop from Seville.

Seazoo’s Shoreline, urgent indiepop with a big grin.

Pale Spectres’ D[r]iving, infectiously uptempo janglepop.

I Tpame I Tvrame’s There’s No Place To Call Home, hypnotic Albanian (!!) minimal synth.

Foliage’s Dare, glossily frantic dreampop.

Closure’s Slow Drive, Motorama-esque doom-indie from Jakarta.

Blue Plutos’ Disagree, ecstatic Rickenbacker-driven janglepop.

Aline’s Elle M’Oubliera, icy cool (or so it seems to me) Francophone indie.
                                      Last edited by Furtho; 17-10-2017, 16:17.

Comment

Time for some Gallant Encounters Outside Your House.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih View Post
                                          Seconded: I preordered the CD yesterday!

A while ago I bought a cassette of theirs and it came with a thank you note written on a piece of card torn from a paracetamol box.
                                          Last edited by Benjm; 02-11-2017, 09:24. Reason: sp. paracetamol

Comment

Out Lines - There is a Saved Place. The album's been out since the end of October, but I just caught this on 6music catchup.

"Out Lines is a new collaborative project between Kathryn Joseph, the singer-songwriter behind 2015 SAY Award-winning album bones you have thrown me and blood I've spilled; James Graham, frontman for Glaswegian indie treasures The Twilight Sad; and Marcus Mackay, critically-acclaimed producer, songwriter and percussionist, and founder of iconic recording studio The Diving Bell Lounge.

'There Is A Saved Place' is taken from the album 'Conflats', out 27 October 2017 on Rock Action Records."

Comment

Thread quietened down. You lot all listening to old stuff on 6 are ya?

My pre-teen daughters have all been bitten by the Now and Capital radio bug, to my disdain. All that time hanging round with their friends and dance classes where they move to anonymous bland pop that represent the charts in Brexit Britain these days.

Anyway, on one of the recent Now albums stood a track that I could actually stand. And then I was surprised to hear it performed at Glastonbury in the summer. That track was Don't Kill That Vibe by Sigrid. Girl's got a bit of attitude, doesn't feel the need to strip off and be backed by hunky dancers to detract from the songs. Anyway, really enjoyed her set there, as did my oldest.

Casual browsing of Guardian website today finds that Sigrid has a new song out today, called Strangers. It's great, so there. And Spotify leads me to a Franky Rizardo Remix of it which is possibly better, on reflection.

My problem is now pointing this out to the girls. Obviously, by even mentioning that I like it will mean that they will never give it the time of day.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                Have any of you mentioned IDLES on here yet? If not you have let me down. If you did, I missed it and now regret it.
                                                I like IDLES a lot.

Comment

During a lull in festivities recently, a song came on the jukebox by a singer called Brandi Carlile. Can't remember much about the song, really, but the voice was fairly exquisite, and when I can be arsed, I will get around to listening properly.

Comment

One for Furtho here.

Dwntwn - Bloodshot Eyes

Been a bit of a fan since hearing You Stood Me Up and Til Tomorrow a couple of years ago.
                                                    Last edited by hobbes; 01-12-2017, 22:47.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X