X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music For 2017

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote:
    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
    Redbone are still together and performing? Amazing.
    They may well be but the song Redbone is performed by Childish Gambino.

Witch Queen Of New Orleans is one of my favourite singles from the very early 70's.
    My sister had Come and Get Your Love and played it rather a lot, in my recollection. (FWIW, Redbone are indeed still performing, however Leon Redbone isn't.)

I quite liked Redbone by Childish Gambino for a while, but the vocal shtick understandably grated after a while.

What's good in 2017? Cabbage. They're good. As are Desert Mountain Tribe. And Flat Worms. And Frau Pouch. As is the latest Run The Jewels album, RTJ3. And the aforementioned Loyle Carner. And I'm still riffing on the wunnerful Agnes Obel album Citizen of Glass, from 2016.

This is my favourite track of the moment, however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeY0T6qdPrU

Comment

New Music For 2017

If your tastes are anything like mine you'll be unable to get Natural Blue by Julie Byrne out of your head for days.
      It appears mine aren't.

Comment

New Music For 2017

From this burg comes the second album by The Courtneys. Placed somewhere around the intersection of Bangles, Go Gos and Bikini Kill, with a decidedly surfer edge and unrepentantly West Coast, Courtneys II ticks all my boxes.

Here's Silver Velvet, not my favourite track off the album but the only one I can find a vid for.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Catchy tune, and love the low-fi OK Go style video.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Yeah, they do catchy really, really well. Fertile breeding ground for earworms without a doubt.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Haven't added any in a while. A lot of good stuff lately. The new Thundercat especially.

Thundercat - Bus In These Streets

The Courtneys - Tour

Menace Beach - Maybe We'll Drown

The Proper Ornaments - When We Were Young

Surfer Blood - Carrier Pigeon

Novella - Desert

Comment

New Music For 2017

Ha! That's The Courtneys' track I wanted to link to but it's not available on YT up here.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Whoops, didn't even see that you had mentioned them! It's a really good album.

Comment

New Music For 2017

johnr wrote:
                    I don't know if we have a Mark Eitzel thread. Seems the sort of artist that would have been discussed here.

Anyway, heard a track from his brand new album today. An Answer is very pleasant indeed.
                    Thank you so much for that KGR. I'm a huge Eitzel fan, but missed this. Off to buy it now.
                    [/quote]
                    Probably for the gig thread, but KGR thank you again. Having bought the album and liking it I then went to see Eitzel last night in Brighton. He's back to his very very best. If anyone gets the chance, go, it's a special, intense, intimate experience.

Comment

New Music For 2017

New Sleaford Mods album out! Spotify link.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Really liking the new album from LA band Chicano Batman, who have opened for Jack White and Alabama Shakes in the past. They've been covered on NPR and look like they might break out. A mix of funk, old soul, and tropicalia.

"Flecha Al Sol"

"Freedom is Free"

"Passed You By"

Comment

New Music For 2017

Despite being a quaint sounding track, a bit mid-80s sound and quite vanilla in a dot ball kind of way, I really like French Press by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever.

Rotten name for a band though.

Comment

New Music For 2017

There's a new Real Estate album out today.

It's insipid as fuck.

I mean, they always had watery tendencies, but this feels like a wedding band's album.

Comment

New Music For 2017

6Music are going mad for that. I don't really get it, either.

With KGR on Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, as well. Last single Julie's Place was decent, French Press is better still. (As for the name, they'll be 'RBCF' before you know it.)

Comment

New Music For 2017

Black Books from Austin, Texas, are decent. Their first album was very good. Their second album can be listened to here for free https://blackbooks.bandcamp.com/

Comment

New Music For 2017

This has been burrowing it's way between my skin cells for the past few days.

High Plains — Cinderland

It's definitely an acquired taste. Synth and cello recorded last Winter in a shack in Wyoming. Some will find it gloomy, others purifying. Listening to the entire album in one bite might be a bit much, but as I listen to almost everything on shuffle, a single track is like cleansing your aural palette. For me it elevates the mundane as I attempt to do in photographs. If you're a devotee of A Winged Victory for the Sullen you'll most likely buy in.

Comment

New Music For 2017

This is actually from the end of last year.

Your Anchor

Asaf Avidan from In a Box II.. A remarkable and unusual voice.Honestly I’ve never heard anything quite like it. It’s not a falsetto, more like a blues castrato. I’ll have to listen a few more times, to hear his music rather than his voice — if that makes sense.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Amor de Cosmos wrote: This has been burrowing it's way between my skin cells for the past few days.

High Plains — Cinderland

It's definitely an acquired taste. Synth and cello recorded last Winter in a shack in Wyoming. Some will find it gloomy, others purifying. Listening to the entire album in one bite might be a bit much, but as I listen to almost everything on shuffle, a single track is like cleansing your aural palette. For me it elevates the mundane as I attempt to do in photographs. If you're a devotee of A Winged Victory for the Sullen you'll most likely buy in.
                                      Sorry Amor, forgot to say, thanks for this. Liked it a lot. (And I do quite like A Winged Victory for the Sullen.)

Comment

New Music For 2017

Oh my word.

Crystal Bats - Anyone.

Comment

New Music For 2017

The Regrettes
                                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyoxpN8nempUXYiZkbPtfXA

Comment

New Music For 2017

I've done the washing up to this for the last 3 nights so it must be good.

Comment

New Music For 2017

David Douglas, Venus
                                              Moon Duo, Sevens
                                              Ochre, Out Of The Gyre
                                              Slowdive, Sugar For The Pill
                                              Chaz Bundick Meets The Mattson 2, Sonmoi (it's the guy from Toro Y Moi)

Comment

New Music For 2017

Logan Mountstuart wrote: I've done the washing up to this for the last 3 nights so it must be good.
                                                Very good indeed - but it seems to have been out almost four years...

Comment

New Music For 2017

This new Paul Weller track is brilliant. Probably the best thing he's done since The Jam.
                                                  You're all going to tear me to shreds now, aren't you.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Black Grape return.

I really like the instrumental track - which sounds very like early Geto Boys, long time Ryder favourites - and the video. Not sure whether the half spoken vocals will hold up to repeat listening.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X