New Music For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music For 2017

No links to offer, but the new Feist album is remarkably good. I was a bit worried that the slightly OTT hype that Uncut magazine was giving it may turn out to be a case of emperor's new clothes, but it's a winner. Shame she couldn't have managed a slightly more extensive UK 'tour' mind.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: No links to offer, but the new Feist album is remarkably good. I was a bit worried that the slightly OTT hype that Uncut magazine was giving it may turn out to be a case of emperor's new clothes, but it's a winner. Shame she couldn't have managed a slightly more extensive UK 'tour' mind.
      I've only heard the track with Jarvis, 'Century', which is really very good indeed. I was expecting not to like it, but it is too good.

I'm enjoying the base line and guitar lick in Staubsaugerbaby by Blind Butcher.

Comment

New Music For 2017

What I've heard indeed sounds pretty good - but certainly one track (DNA, I think) is anything but 'smooth'.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Have any of you mentioned IDLES on here yet? If not you have let me down. If you did, I missed it and now regret it.

Comment

New Music For 2017

Spotify threw up Happy Meals LTD (now HMLTD) on my Discover playlist. It's okay, but the bands sound and general focus on their appearance makes me think some OTF-ers could be much more supportive of them.

This NME article has videos for a few of their singles and a brief write-up

Comment

New Music For 2017

The new Jane Weaver album well deserves the attention that it has been getting.

Comment

Nice second single from the War on Drugs' upcoming album.

Comment

There's a new Ride album out. It sounds like they've spent a few years listening to The Besnard Lakes. Or maybe The Besnard Lakes spent a few years listening to Ride.

The track Charm Assault - particularly the chorus - sounds uncannily like the theme to CBeebies' Rhyme Rocket.

Comment

Admittedly, I've only heard that and new single All I Want, but the new Ride material sounds remarkably fresh and contemporary: given how they (col)lapsed during the nineties, I was a tad surprised by this. I think that Erol 'Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve' Alkan's production has much to do with this.

Comment

New Melanie De Biasio single

No Deal three or so years ago was easily my album of that year
                      Last edited by Haddock; 20-06-2017, 11:24.

Comment

Dunno how long it's been out, but Royal Blood's Lights Out is currently doing it for me.

Comment

Lanark Artefax - 'Touch Absence'

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                            Have any of you mentioned IDLES on here yet? If not you have let me down. If you did, I missed it and now regret it.
                            Didn't see your post until now, but I linked to their rather appropriate Stendhal Syndrome on this thread. I've been listening to them for a while now since I first heard them on 6 music, and that's their lyrics on my personal text.

Comment

Cred Wars is the first track to be publicised for the new Liars album out in August.

I'm a little disappointed on first listen. There is a hint of guitar fun at 2:11 in that threatens to join in but then quickly disappears.

Thank you for the Melanie De Biasio nudge, Haddock. I put her on my 2014 compilation after discovering her due to a tip on here. Gold Junkies is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                Spotify threw up Happy Meals LTD (now HMLTD) on my Discover playlist. It's okay, but the bands sound and general focus on their appearance makes me think some OTF-ers could be much more supportive of them.

This NME article has videos for a few of their singles and a brief write-up
                                Jesus. That second song "Stained" sounds just like Bauhaus.

Comment

New album by Public Service Broadcasting. They've moved on from 1930s nostalgia and the space race to make an album with a Welsh coal mining theme. I kid you not. Richard Burton's voice makes an obligatory appearance. It's not bad, but no real progression from the last couple of albums.

Comment

It got an absolute hammering by Luke Turner in the Quietus yesterday

Comment

Wow. Just read that. You're not wrong. Neither is he, to be fair.

Comment

Went to see some friends in Wales last week who've basically retreated to the countryside and, more specifically, their hut at the bottom of the garden where they get regularly baked. So it came to pass that I said at some late hour, "This music's fucking brilliant, what is it?" They said it was the new Charlatans album. This surprised me, because I thought The Charlatans were one of those crappy indie bands that brought out a couple of whiny, Velvets-servile LPs in the early 90s and then gave up, to the relief of everyone. Turned out I was quite wrong. They gave me a spare copy they'd accidentally bought (probably while monged), and so now I'm listening to it and still enjoying it. Not sure I can be arsed downloading the previous dozen LPs, though. Any recommendations from the back catalogue?

Comment

I'm liking the debut solo album from Wesley Gonzalez, who was previously in Let's Wrestle. It's guitar-less, with a lot of piano and horns carrying the songs. A lot of the songs remind me of XTC, perhaps mostly because he sounds like Andy Partridge.

"Piece of Mind"

"In Amsterdam"

Comment

I suppose I'll have to buy that. As my musical spirit guide, you're batting around .900, plus I like XTC.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                              Went to see some friends in Wales last week who've basically retreated to the countryside and, more specifically, their hut at the bottom of the garden where they get regularly baked. So it came to pass that I said at some late hour, "This music's fucking brilliant, what is it?" They said it was the new Charlatans album. This surprised me, because I thought The Charlatans were one of those crappy indie bands that brought out a couple of whiny, Velvets-servile LPs in the early 90s and then gave up, to the relief of everyone. Turned out I was quite wrong. They gave me a spare copy they'd accidentally bought (probably while monged), and so now I'm listening to it and still enjoying it. Not sure I can be arsed downloading the previous dozen LPs, though. Any recommendations from the back catalogue?
                                              I'm no Charlatans expert but Mrs H plays her copy of Us And Us Only from time to time and it's got some decent enough tunes on it. My main reason for posting though is because it's always worth pointing out what an absolutely top bloke Tim Burgess is. In spite of his terrible hair.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                I suppose I'll have to buy that. As my musical spirit guide, you're batting around .900, plus I like XTC.
                                                Thanks.

Comment

A Wesley Gonzalez update--I looked him up on Twitter, and was surprised to see that he has under 400 followers. I tweeted him and told him that I really liked the album, he wrote back and thanked me. I also listened to some of a BBC interview where he seemed like a funny and sweet guy. I hope he does well, and that I can claim to have Hofzinsered him on here.

Comment

I've made a bit of a habit of sending authors a quick note if I like the book. Almost without exception, they write back and are well pleased to hear from readers. I had a great chat with Abraham Zapruder's granddaughter.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X