No announcement yet.

Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed a lot of the last quarter picking up my daughter from a date but just caught the highlights. Great game, Scarlets unlucky not to get a draw at least but seemed to slip off a few too many tackles at crucial moments after getting themselves back in front. Both teams look solid top four contenders for the end of the season.

Comment

Hmm, this SA expansion of the Pro14 has hardly been an outstanding success to date - watching Kings v Leinster from Port Elizabeth, and the stadium literally looks deserted, 1,000 would be an extremely generous attendance estimate.

Comment

And Leinster already have the bonus point by the 53rd minute.

Comment

A real moral quandary during Franchise RFC versus Harlequins when Haskell and Marler are involved in what I've seen seen perfectly described on twitter as "a cunt-off".

The former gets a yellow for grabbing the latter by the throat after some minor winding up then tells the ref to go back and review it again because he had water sprayed at him, the absolute prick.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2017, 14:39.

Comment

Very enjoyable game in the end, helped by the needle displayed throughout and the fact that Quins ended Franchise's long home winning run. Quins' 18 year old Phillipine outside half Marcus Smith looks quite a find.

Really enjoyed London Welsh's 44-21 win over Staines yesterday. The hosts had something of an injury/availability crisis (a figure of 60 players missing across the club's three teams was mentioned) so ended up having to call up former internationals (something of a rarity in the ninth tier, I imagine) Tom May and Director of Rugby Sonny Parker (38 and 40 respectively) out of retirement, the latter on the bench.

Around 450 in the crowd who created a really good atmosphere and Old Deer Park remains a wonderful place to watch sport. I'm already planning my next trip.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-09-2017, 16:40.

Comment

That's some encouraging news about the crowd at London Welsh Ray.

In the PRO14 3,000 watched the Kings Leinster but 20,000 were at the Cheetahs Zebre match.

The Dragons were the only Wales region to win, who'd have thought that. Elliot Dee and Henson were the stand out performers.

Comment

Old Deer Park is lovely, I do slightly regret not having some half and half. Ill be going back soon as well.

Comment

They got my half & half wrong. The curry was on top of the rice on one side of the tray and the chips were in the other.

Also the curry was "Thai" and had a small amount of something that looked like tinned peaches in it (I don't know what they actually were as I didn't eat them, I was there for a rugby match not a detox). It did taste nice but I suspect the ladies behind the counter weren't actually Welsh.

Comment

PRO14 action tonight and the Cheetahs are beating Leinster 24-5 early in the second half.

The Ospreys continue to be woeful, they trail in Italy to Benetton approaching half time. Ulster are beating the Dragons, no surprise there except the Dragons bizarrely made 13 changes. Glasgow lead Munster in the other match.

I'm going to watch the Glasgow Munster second half as the Ospreys are awful.

Comment

In the Glasgow Munster match Nigel Owens lectured both teams after a spot of handbags last night. Spot on as it could babe ruined a decent match.

Tandy looks like a dead man walking at the Ospreys. However Danny Wilson got the Blues a good win over Connacht to silence his critics. Scarlets on S4C tonight against Edinburgh, might watch some of that later.

Comment

I watched the Blues match - two fairly ordinary teams, to be honest. Shaun Edwards is helping out with the coaching at Cardiff.

Comment

Rizzo, the Edinburgh loosehead, sent off for a ridiculous challenge at the ruck on Gareth Davies. Scarlets score their third try from the resulting penalty and are now after a bonus point win.

Davies is the fourth Scarlets player to go off injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                            I watched the Blues match - two fairly ordinary teams, to be honest. Shaun Edwards is helping out with the coaching at Cardiff.
                            Connacht have gone back to their role as fourth province but it's still a tough place to go. Did anyone impress for the Blues?

Comment

Scarlets got their bonus point win and looked impressive without going into top gear. They'll be the best Welsh region again and have shown Wales how they can play their rugby.

Comment

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Franchise RFC forced to trim squad

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Franchise RFC forced to trim squad
                                  It sounds as if it's for all clubs in England, that's £7 million a season with marquee signings.

Piatau will be earning a million at Bristol next season and other star players 500k plus like Biggar.

The maths just does not add up.

Cardiff Blues are also parting company with Danny Wilson at the end of the season, their budget is being trimmed to under £4.5 million.

Comment

A million quid for a guy who might not even be New Zealand's best centre? That's dumb. I wouldn't pay in his prime Brian O'Driscoll that kind of money in a cap system.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                      A million quid for a guy who might not even be New Zealand's best centre? That's dumb. I wouldn't pay in his prime Brian O'Driscoll that kind of money in a cap system.
                                      He's a full back or winger Flynnie.

The Cheetahs win at home against the Ospreys who were slightly better than in previous weeks.

Scarlets are at home to Connacht tonight, they've already got a try but immediately concede one. Looking like it'll be a decent match.
                                      Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 30-09-2017, 08:25.

Comment

The most notable thing about the Cheetahs - Ospreys game is surely that a player missed the game after being bitten by a lion.

Comment

Lion not at fault according to the Grauniad report.

“There was an incident with a lion, it’s nothing to do with the lion in all fairness to it but he did bite Scott,” admitted the Ospreys coach, Steve Tandy. “When you put your hand into a fence and there’s a lion in there, you can expect to get bit. He had plenty of warning, so it’s pretty stupid on Scott’s behalf. He’s pretty lucky.

“It’s nothing to do with where we were, it was a good environment, we’d been told how far back to stand. I don’t know what sort of wildlife programme Scott has been watching, [that says you can] pat a lion as if it’s a kitten.”

Comment

The classic coach's phrase, "in fairness," like after a player does a bad challenge is beautiful. Here's the, er, incident. Nothing gory, but nice and roary.

What a twat.

https://twitter.com/AndyGoode10/status/913879469798166528

Comment

I know this isn’t a major point in the story, but why is Andy Goode there?

Comment

Munster v Cardiff starting now on Sky. From a Cardiff perspective, I fear it will be as ugly as Munster’s two-tone red with gold trim kit. The hosts seem to have their Lions back and I’ve not heard of half the Blues side before.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-09-2017, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  Munster v Cardiff starting now on Sky. From a Cardiff perspective, I fear it will be as ugly as Munster’s two-tone red with gold trim kit. The hosts seem to have their Lions back and I’ve not heard of half the Blues side before.
                                                  It was only the loosehead who was new for me Ray. They got blown away in the second half.

Zebre beat Ulster at home.

The final game of the weekend is Dragons versus Kings. Dragons have a few more players out injured but have started well.

Comment

The Southern Kings might be awful but the Dragons look like they've got a game plan at last. They're denied a bonus point try at the stroke of half time. 22-6 is their lead and despite the downpour the new pitch looms excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X