No announcement yet.

Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a Scottish newspaper is saying that along with the 2 South African teams, there might be one in D.C. as well for 2018-2019.

Comment

That's always been the plan I believe, expanding into North America with two franchises in the USA and possibly Canada. I think the S.A. expansion just fell into their laps.

Comment

Sight and sound of the day on Auckland's main drag: hordes of Lions fans singing outside the pub, then being outsung (or outdrummed) by the Hare Krishnas. Then a kind of crossover dance with both groups, My Sweet Lord meets Bread of Heaven. All in good spirit, and enjoyably silly.

Radio silence from me now, because the game is delayed on free TV, so it's Likely Lads as usual. May be difficult to avoid knowing the result of this one, if the Lions win. Which they won't, will they?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
          Sight and sound of the day on Auckland's main drag: hordes of Lions fans singing outside the pub, then being outsung (or outdrummed) by the Hare Krishnas. Then a kind of crossover dance with both groups, My Sweet Lord meets Bread of Heaven. All in good spirit, and enjoyably silly.

Radio silence from me now, because the game is delayed on free TV, so it's Likely Lads as usual. May be difficult to avoid knowing the result of this one, if the Lions win. Which they won't, will they?
          Why don't you watch it on a stream?

Comment

Daly should have done a lot better on that try.

Comment

Romain Poite is talking a lot but the Sky commentators don't shut up and you can't hear what he's saying. That's really fucking annoying as they are not adding anything and Warburton is asking questions about the game.

Comment

If the Lions win this it'll be an absolute robbery.

Comment

Kaino in the bin, harsh I think, the Lions can rob this now.

Two Lions players off for HIAs.

Comment

Gatland proves his worth as a coach, the Lions are almost a scratch side with very little preparation time so to tie the series is an amazing result.

Comment

I was wondering why there wasn't more hollering in the street outside my window. The draw explains it.

The overruled penalty at the end is a nice grievance to nurture for ABs fans, though overall I'd say the ref was harsher on the Lions. And a wee gripe - they've got to stop bringing on the kicking tee before a shot at goal has been officially declared. Happened 3 times, I think.

Based on unscientific sample of NZ public opinion, I'd say it was the most enjoyed tour/series in the professional era. A lot of people have been getting bored with SH rugby - both Super and international - and you can't put everything on one event every 4 years. Should add a bit of spice to the next AB tour in Europe, where even grand slams have lost their rarity appeal.

So yeah, well done Lions.

Comment

Tonga 10 Fiji 14, this means Fiji are in the same RWC group as Wales for the fourth time in a row.

Comment

A great game, a great series and a great result for the Lions - however strange the drawn match and series felt at the final whistle. Most people, me included, couldn't see past a 3-0 blackwash so to match New Zealand at home is a triumph - especially when the Lions were only ahead for three minutes in the entire three games.

All of the background noise, side stories and chatter will be forgotten against the performances in the tests and the Lions just get stronger from it. This lovely photo summed it all up :

Comment

Kyle Sinckler carries on the great English tradition of getting arrested in Auckland.

Comment

Pro 12 expansion to South Africa confirmed.

We're through the looking glass, people.

Edit: oh, hang on.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-07-2017, 13:24.

Comment

I don't bother with many Super Rugby games, but the Crusaders-Highlanders QF might be worth a watch. There is severe flooding in Christchurch, and a state of emergency has been declared. The Highlanders couldn't even fly in on schedule because of the storm. So naturally the game goes ahead (as of this typing, anyway).

I'm hoping for some old school aquaplaning, sliding in from the 22 for a try, and TMOs debating whether the ball was grounded if it was afloat.

Comment

I turned it on in the first half and the conditions give it a vague air of a Neath v Aberavon game in the mid-eighties.

I liked Kieran Reed's comment as he walked off drenched for half time along the lines of "Aw mate, the weather ain't that bad really'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Dramatic new twist as Zebre pull out of Guinness Pro12, surely that means no conferences.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...wsApp_AppShare

Comment

I know we've talked on rugby threads passim about how much of a threat to the 15 a side game that Sevens may or may not be but this still seems perverse :

"Contracts for England women's XVs squad will not be renewed after the forthcoming Rugby World Cup despite the side being defending champions.

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) says its focus will switch to the sevens game after the tournament, which starts in Ireland next month."

It's especially strange as England can't directly compete in the Olympics which is where the growth in the format will really be felt.

Comment

I wish Eggchaser posted here to give us his opinion on Quin's taking their quarters across the whole kit :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-07-2017, 09:58.

Comment

Zebre have now been reformed and will compete in the PRO12, I don't understand what's going on there.

Leigh Halfpenny is still without a club and all the doors seem to be closing on his options. He's dithered and alienated clubs who were interested in him apparently.

Comment

Leigh Halfpenny: Wales full-back poised to join Scarlets on dual contract - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723

This saga is finally coming to an end and could be really beneficial for all as at the Scarlets he'll have to attack which is going to benefit Wales. We've forgotten that Halfpenny was a decent player and not just a kicker so this could reignite him too.

Comment

Kings and Cheetahs confirmed for Pro14, which will now comprise two 7-team conferences including 2 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish, 1 Italian and 1 SA team in both. 21 regular fixtures comprise 12 inter-conference games, 7 cross-conference games and two additional national derbies.

Comment

Leigh Halfpenny: Wales full-back joins Scarlets on dual contract - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723

It's finally confirmed, I'm really hopeful for this to work out well for all concerned.

Comment

Crusaders dominating Lions early in the SuperRugby final, but then Hurricanes did the same ant home soundly beaten.

12-3 after 30 minutes. Very cheering to see Ellis Park full.

Comment

15-3 at the half and Lions down to 14 after a deserved red card.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X