Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    I believe Samoa strengthened their side for today's game as it was a home match they had a chance of winning. They brought back players like their captain David Lemi and Ray Lee-Lo and changed half the side.
    Didn't realise that Harry. Like you said it was a very inexperienced side that won a match that many more experienced sides have lost in the past. Two tries from Steff Evans show that his performances for the Scarlets can be transferred to the international stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      Within 3 points to either side by the hour mark, All Blacks by 12 points at the end.
      I hope you're wrong but fear you'll be right. After hearing the team I'm both excited and optimistic about the match in a way I wasn't before. The back three has the ability to trouble the All Blacks and the forwards can get on top which is why I'm going for a win.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
        I'm going to watch it on catch up later, saw the opening fifteen and it looked grim both in terms of the weather and the performance. Butler said it was hot and humid as well so that would have added to the difficulties. The team showed a lot of character to win but this is a Samoa side that conceded 78 unanswered points to the All Blacks a week ago.
        Just finishing watching this on catch up, it's dire, really dire, like a very bad PRO12 game involving the Dragons at Rodney Parade. If it had been dry I'm not convinced we'd have got the same result.

Comment

ABs by 15+. Game to be overshadowed by An Incident. Followed by ritual finger-pointing, defensiveness, whataboutery, i.e the usual.

I'm a grumpy old git and I probably shouldn't watch. Of course I'll watch.

Comment

I've been out and about in central Auckland, where every other pedestrian is wearing a red shirt and a beer belly. I feel sorry for them, having to while away a wet and windy day in a city which has plenty of natural attractions but precious little indoors. Evening kick-offs in winter, not much fun for tourists. It is very blustery, swirly, Wellingtonesque, so watch out for those misdirected high balls and midair collisions.

I was moaning upthread about NZ media coverage diluting the pleasure of the game. It's not so much the rugby journos, it's that everyone else is contractually obliged to have a reckon. Imagine everyone from George Monbiot to Rod Liddle going on about the Lions, you can see how it can grate.

As an example, and as extra motivational pre-match reading for Gatland & co, here is a political op-ed writer, John Roughan in the NZ Herald.

To watch northern rugby ruled by a northern referee, as we've had to watch a couple of times on the tour so far, is a depressing experience. ... The northern game is about keeping within range of the posts for penalties. How northern rugby retains an audience is one of the great mysteries of our time, but it does.
            There you go, that'll save you the second cup of coffee this morning.

Comment

Why did Tonga play Wales in NZ and not at home, and was that done to Samoa and Fiji too?

We're getting another attempt at a professional league next year. Seattle, SLC, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas City (the team the Sporting KC more or less owns), Denver/Glendale CO, and Minneapolis.

Canada v USA WCQ Saturday at the spiffy new stadium in Hamilton, Ontario.

Comment

The facilities in Tonga, specifically medical, were deemed not up to standard jefe.

Comment

Liam Williams shows exactly why be was picked, a fantastic try.

Comment

So much for dominating up front and in the scrum.

Ridiculous piece of skill from Kieran Read to get the ball to Smith.

The Lions have had chances to score and not taken them, the All Blacks on the other hand have been clinical.
                    Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 24-06-2017, 09:04.

Comment

All Blacks 30 Lions 15, a conclusive win by a much more clinical team but there might be some hope for the Lions as they did create opportunities. In and around the break down was the biggest issue imho.

Comment

So, drop Teo and Daly who had shockers, SOB, possibly Murray, possibly O'Mahoney (neither flanker did a thing on the floor, just as I feared) and AWJ or Kruis (perhaps I have a blind spot on him but never seen what the fuss was about and he was poor today, though so was Alun).

Bring in Sexton at 10 with Farrell at 12, North, Warburton, possibly Webb, possibly Tipuric and Itoje? Deckchairs on the Titanic unless we do the basics right, mind. Davies the Lions MOTM by a mile and Williams making that try just about makes up for a few dodgy moments.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-06-2017, 13:32.

Comment

I think Lawes might sneak in if he has a decent game on Tuesday, the almost complete inability to slow All Black ball down means they'll have to change the back row and perhaps a change in the front row with McGrath and Owens having a look in. I'm with you on the other changes too.

This is my team:
                          Williams, Nowell, Davies, Farrell, Watson, Sexton, Webb, McGrath, Owens, Furlong, Lawes, Itoje, O'Mahony, Warburton, Faletau.
                          North, Joseph, Murray, Vunipola, Sinckler, George, Kruis, Tipuric

Comment

Yes, I hate to say it but Lawes might be a good shout. I was tempted to say Owens should be in too but not sure George did too much wrong.

Still think Nowell is a liability in defence and Ioane will burn him all night like he did in the game against the Blues, North might give him something to think about. Can Joseph play 12? Would like to fit him in somewhere but Foxy is undroppable.

Comment

Hurricanes versus Lions team news for the match on Tuesday.

British and Irish Lions: Jack Nowell (England), Tommy Seymour (Scotland), Jonathan Joseph (England), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), George North (Wales), Dan Biggar (Wales), Greig Laidlaw (Scotland), Joe Marler (England), Rory Best (Ireland, captain), Dan Cole (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Courtney Lawes (England), James Haskell (England), Justin Tipuric (Wales), CJ Stander (Ireland).

Replacements: Kristian Dacey (Wales), Alan Dell (Scotland), Tomas Francis (Wales), Cory Hill (Wales), George Kruis (England), Gareth Davies (Wales), Finn Russell (Scotland), Jared Payne (Ireland).

Hurricanes: Jordie Barrett, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Vince Aso, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Otere Black, Te Toiroa-Tahuriorangi, Ben May, Ricky Ricitelli, Jeffrey To'omaga-Allen, Mark Abbott, Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Callum Gibbins, Brad Shields (captain).

Replacements: Leni Apisai, Chris Eves, Mike Kainga, James Blackwell, Reed Prinsep, Kemara Hauiti-Parapara, Wes Goosen, Cory Jane.

Comment

Well that was a weird, exciting ding-dong old game. I got on the tube for a short hop in to work with the Lions having a 14 point lead and a few stops later they are hanging on for a draw then going for the win. The back three personnel kept on shifting around all night (part tactically and partly due to injury) and it was really hard to work out who may have forced themselves in to Saturday's 23 apart from Lawes who seems certain. Henderson's yellow card and the consequences may have harshly cost him the chance too.

North saw more of the ball after making an early switch to centre and I would still have him on the bench at least for the second test. Tipuric was excellent too but what he does doesn't grab headlines so his tour is probably over.

Comment

New Zealand squad for the second Test, two changes which were both enforced as Aaron Smith and Crotty are both injured.

Team: I Dagg; W Naholo, A Lienert-Brown, SB Williams, R Ioane; B Barrett, A Smith; J Moody, C Taylor, O Franks, B Retallick, S Whitelock, J Kaino, S Cane, K Read (capt).

Replacements: N Harris, W Crockett, C Faumuina, S Barrett, A Savea, TJ Perenara, A Cruden, N Laumape.

Comment

British & Irish Lions starting XV and there are only three changes

L Williams; A Watson, J Davies, O Farrell, E Daly; J Sexton, C Murray; M Vunipola, J George, T Furlong, AW Jones, M Itoje, S Warburton (capt), S O’Brien, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, J McGrath, K Sinckler, C Lawes, CJ Stander; R Webb, B Te’o, J Nowell

Comment

I was spluttering about North's absence from the 23 until I found out he's out of the rest of the tour with a hamstring injury.

I can't disagree with any of the changes to the 15 that have been been made, just wonder if perhaps they don't go far enough. Daly, AWJ and SOB all pretty lucky to keep their places but all capable of proving themselves on Saturday, the latter will at least have Warburton and Itoje to do his work at the breakdown.

Still would have had Tipuric in, I saw an amazing stat yesterday that in 11 appearances for the Lions over two tours Tipuric has made 107 tackles and missed the grand total of zero. That's in addition to his work at the breakdown and gorgeous attacking & link play.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-06-2017, 08:52.

Comment

The PRO12 is set to expand to include the two South African teams cut from super rugby.

South African sides Cheetahs and Southern Kings set to join Pro12 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40448854

It may even start this year. I'm not sure what to make of this but my initial reaction is that they financial costs involved make this a potential risk. I wonder if they'll try to bring in franchises from North America and try to create two conferences.

Comment

Fuck me the weather is filthy in Wellington, I don't think the Lions were so bad in the last test, they created lots of opportunities and didn't take them and they are up against one of the greatest sides ever.

Comment

The two playmaker tactic is working but they handling at times has again let them down. There's also more competition at the breakdown.

Comment

Sonny Bill sent off. A huge call but correct.

His shoulder clearly went into the head of Watson and Garces said we have to protect the player. I'm watching an NZ stream and they agreed with the decision.

Comment

Since the sending off the Lions have given away penalties, made handling errors and kicked it dead.

Comment

It's all square at half time. Perhaps Faletau could have kept his cool at the end of the half and not overrun the ball.

Comment

First All Black to be sent of in a test since 1967.

That can't be right can it? It's missing a qualifier like "against the lions"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X