No announcement yet.

Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the answer is the same in both cases.

The club and its fans would prefer the official Stade version, though they are certainly used to being called by their city name (especially in Europe but also in France). The latter is even more true for Stade Rochelais, given their rather recent rise to prominence and the absence of a major local football club that uses the name of their city (the local football team is in the 6th or 7th tier)

Comment

Ah, thanks for that. I presume the same applies for Section Paloise/Pau? Why is Stade used for team names so much in French rugby?

Comment

I was going to mention Section Paloise. Yes, it would be the same (though they are even more used to being called Pau, I imagine).

The use of "Stade" goes back a long way (to the 19th c in cases including Stade Toulousain and Stade Francais), and I think that the best answer as to its prevalence is that many of the rugby clubs were originally part of a bourgeois multisports organisation that almost always included some sort of athletics club). In order to reflect their range, these clubs tended to adopt names like Stade, Olympique or Racing, none of which were seen as favouring one discipline over the others.

Indeed, the precursor to both the FFR and the FFF was the Union des Sociétés Françaises de Sports Athlétiques, which (in addition to football and rugby union) governed many of the sports played by these clubs, including athletics, fencing, etc.

Comment

The rugby pros from the Pacific Islands who united to help vulnerable players

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/be...y_to_clipboard

Really good article this.

Comment

Scrum V 28 minutes in has a little piece about London Welsh.

Scrum V, Sunday: 2017/2018: 08/10/2017: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b098spzq via @bbciplayer

Comment

The story of rugby's injury crisis from the players, a coach and a doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                Scrum V 28 minutes in has a little piece about London Welsh.

Scrum V, Sunday: 2017/2018: 08/10/2017: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b098spzq via @bbciplayer
                Thanks for posting that up, hadn't seen it yet. I was under the impression they were running something on Porthcawl the other week in their grassroots club segment and saw they flashed their score up but no more.

Comment

That's a really good piece, it's looking like rugby is heading in the same direction as American Football with the injuries and potential long term damage to health.

Comment

Just settling down to watch Ulster Wasps on BT Sport. I love European rugby and Ulster love Europe on a Friday night.

Comment

Is Cardiff v Lyon being televised anywhere, given the 7pm Friday kick off?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Don't think so - it's Ulster-Wasps for me too.

Comment

It appears not. Ulster v Franchise not really caught fire yet.

Comment

There might be a stream online Ray.

Toulouse winning away to Sale at half time, that's a surprise.

Comment

Sent you a message with a link Ray.

Comment

That's what a million pound player does. Great try.

Comment

Much better second half, though all the decisive action was within 120 seconds or so.

How on earth can Dallaglio be employed as a colour man on a Franchise game? He’s even more biased towards them than he works on an England match.

Comment

Haskell's season so far - played 5, lost 5

Comment

Sale and Toulouse drew in the other Champions Cup match last night.

The pick of the matches tonight is Exeter at home to Glasgow, a 7.30 kick off on BT Sport.

Comment

I’ve often wondered, what are/were Exeter’s traditional colours? I’m presuming not the all black they seem to have sported in their top flight era but I may be wrong.
                                        No footage of them pre-Premiership at all, perhaps unsurprisingly, but a few retro-looking shirts hint at black & white hoops being the old colours (which would with fit with them wearing kits of blocks of those colours now). Club ties seemed to be black, white and and sky blue too.

Comment

Leinster v Montpelier on now and an hour gone. As ever with him, worth watching for Nemani Nadolo‘s performance alone.

Comment

Krasny Yar beat Stade Francais in Challenge Cup

Gonna be a long trip back from Siberia for Stade

Comment

The Quins Rochelle game is a cracker - 4 minutes left; 24-34

Comment

Full time 27-34

Comment

Yeah, really good game. Rochelais were fantastic, playing wonderful, inventive attacking rugby from all over the pitch like a throwback French side. Quins played well in parts too but the gulf in class when it came to passing and handling was pretty huge - a losing bonus point rather flattered the hosts.

I always enjoy a visit to The Stoop but surprised that the “low profile” opponents meant it wasn’t a sell out.

Comment

I reckon Rochelle could go all the way - they have a massive pack with pace all over the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X