No announcement yet.

Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the whole sharing of WC matches in European world cups has got to stop. A joint Celtic bid would be acceptable but that's it. I'm pretty sure Wales has hosted more WC matches whilst not being hosts than the time when we actually hosted it. And the hosts since then were France and England, who have more than enough stadia to do it alone.

Comment

I think that was on purpose as part of a deal to get matches in 2007 and 2015, although the RFU were quite keen to use Cardiff anyway given its proximity to the rugby heartlands of the West Country and lack of major stadia there. Whereas Cardiff felt out of place in 2007, I thought it really added to the tournament in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Wales 21 Australia 29. Not a lot to say here, better performance, same result.
        I find myself in complete agreement. Despite the positives in our play at no point did I think we were at risk of winning and the default narrow defeat looked on from about 5 minutes in. The galling factor is that, as usual, it’s not so much a case of personnel or tactics that leads us to predictable disappointment against a Southern Hemisphere side but mistakes in elementary parts of the game like handling and the ability to receive a kick off comfortably.

New change kit, black predictably and with a far too big and gawdy sponsor’s logo, to be worn against Georgia at the weekend. Great eyebrow work from Halfpenny here :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-11-2017, 11:14.

Comment

Wales have an interesting habit going on for years now of playing like rubbish in the third quarter of a game versus favoured opposition, eg a Tri-Nations team/England. They start well, and end with a fightback, but minutes 40-60 are murder on them.

It's not just Gatland, vivid memories of the 2003 quarterfinal versus England when Wales couldn't deal with Mike Catt.

Comment

I find myself in complete agreement.
            I think we'd better close the thread Ray if we're in agreement. Jokes aside Jamie Roberts is back so perhaps is Warrenball.

Comment

I had a horrible feeling when Jonathan Davies went down injured in the last seconds of Saturday’s game, turns out I was right - out for six months.

Comment

France versus New Zealand on Eurosport, didn't know it was on so guess I'm going to be catching the second half.

Comment

Cracking second half in Lyon between the second string sides. Well worth finding the highlights hence why I'm not posting the score.

Comment

France?!?!?!

Comment

Intriguingly, Ireland scored 8 votes in the first round, but England, Scotland and Wales had 9 to allocate, so evidently, one of the three reneged on us, despite May's invocations.

Comment

If there's some games in Cardiff, I would not be all that surprised.

How the hell did South Africa and Ireland strike out so badly at the political horse trading?

Comment

That isn't part of the current bid, though I imagine everything is up for negotiation

Here are the current stadia

- Stade de France, à Saint-Denis
                          - Stade Vélodrome, à Marseille
                          - Groupama Stadium, à Lyon-Décines
                          - Stade Pierre-Mauroy, à Villeneuve-d'Ascq
                          - Matmut Atlantique, à Bordeaux
                          - Stade de La Beaujoire à Nantes
                          - Stadium de Toulouse,
                          - Allianz Riviera, à Nice
                          - Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, à Saint-Etienne

Comment

What a crooked farce, much as I will love visiting France for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              That isn't part of the current bid, though I imagine everything is up for negotiation

Here are the current stadia

- Stade de France, à Saint-Denis
                              - Stade Vélodrome, à Marseille
                              - Groupama Stadium, à Lyon-Décines
                              - Stade Pierre-Mauroy, à Villeneuve-d'Ascq
                              - Matmut Atlantique, à Bordeaux
                              - Stade de La Beaujoire à Nantes
                              - Stadium de Toulouse,
                              - Allianz Riviera, à Nice
                              - Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, à Saint-Etienne
                              Bloody hell, it's a Euro 2016 reunion tour.

Comment

They did that for the Rugby World Cup in 2007, every venue was from 1998.

Comment

The original idea was that the centrepiece stadium would be the Grande Stade that the FFR hoped to build south of Paris, but that project was abandoned last year.

Comment

I'm surprised Racing's new Arena hasn't featured, is the owner too unstable to deal with?

Comment

The U Arena has an artificial surface which I suspect counts against it. I guess also, that if a second Paris venue is wanted, then the Parc des Princes would be the more likely as it can hold half as many people again.

Comment

Lorenzetti certainly has had his run-ins with the FFR, but the U Arena would also be on the small side (32,000) and displace a "provincial" ground supported by rugby officials from the local area.

Comment

With some of the potential match-ups in a World Cup (the kind that were played at Kingsholm or Sandy Park in 2015) I was thinking the option of a more mid-sized venue in Paris might be a boon, though I'm sure you're probably both right.

Comment

Attendance wasn't really a problem in 2007, the organisers got around that via offering dirt cheap tickets for minnow matchups. Romania-Portugal got 35,000+ for example.

Comment

Matiashvili surprised as wonder try goes viral - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41997405

I've not seen or even heard about this try but it's something else.

Comment

Not bad for a former skiier’s fourth test.

Comment

Ireland can’t have more than 4 decent stadia, and that’s assuming the bloody GAA wouldn’t block Croke park’s use. Poor rail transport infrastructure as well couldn’t help (I’m still in shock they close the commuter rail station near Landsdowne road on matchdays. I mean ffs. Though I’d laugh like a drain if Glasgow Cooncil did that to Ibrox subway station at the weekend).

And if the attendance figures for the Women’s World Cup were poor (interest seemed minimal to say the least) or organisation was shoddy (no idea myself) that can’t have helped either.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-11-2017, 19:43.

Comment

But yeah, it stinks. South Africa must be raging.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X