A Design For Strife - Kit Gallery 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    I found out today that the contemporary diagonal AS Monaco shirt was designed by Grace Kelly.

Bloody hell.
    Really? Do we have a verifiable source for the story?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      It's not kit I know but I had to record somewhere my incredulity that the Predator boot is now retro.

I can't help wondering if "that iconic colourway" they refer to is, er, black with white trim that every boot used to have (although from other pics I've seen it would appear to mean the small amount of red trim too)?
      I had a similar feeling of incredulity when I was looking up that 12-1 slapping Hungary got off Yugoslavia in the World Cup playoffs and discovering it was 1997, which somehow is 20 years ago.

We all have our own adidas Predator memories. Whether it’s through Beckham, Zidane, Gerrard, Kaká, or the bloke from The Dog & Duck who played you off the park, you remember the first time you saw that iconic colourway, that tongue, that intimidating, serrated leather.

My own predator memories were:

- the hilariously inflated price tag
      - thinking they looked even more ridiculous than the breathe-right nasal strips that were also in vogue at the time
      - watching the documentary about their creation, where that egotistical dick Craig Johnson seemed to think that glueing some chopped-up pencil erasers to a pair of football boots somehow made him the equivalent of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Comment

The official club site supports the Grace Kelly story (in French)

See also the principal unofficial club history site

Before it was adopted to celebrate the club’s victory in the 1960 Coupe de France, they played in rd and white stripes.

Comment

Oh, excellent, thanks.

I mean, i would have shared the story even if we couldn't back it up but it's good to know it's accurate.

Comment

It's not kit I know but I had to record somewhere my incredulity that the Predator boot is now retro.

I can't help wondering if "that iconic colourway" they refer to is, er, black with white trim that every boot used to have (although from other pics I've seen it would appear to mean the small amount of red trim too)?

Yes, I would think that a certain amount of red is what set(s) it apart. Am I right in thinking that the first ones came in some sort of cage-styled packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              The official club site supports the Grace Kelly story (in French)

See also the principal unofficial club history site

Before it was adopted to celebrate the club’s victory in the 1960 Coupe de France, they played in rd and white stripes.
              French is meaningless. You could use French to prove anything that's even remotely true. French schmench.

Comment

My favourite Predator story is the time when one of my Sunday league team mates - who got a game very rarely, as he had the footballing ability of a potato - turned up at training wearing a brand new pair.

First go with the boots was a full-on, laces through, rocket straight into the top corner.

In his mind.

What actually happened is that he caught the toes on the turf as he aimed his kick, and tore the sole clean off.

Schadenfreude, thy name is Adidas Predator.

Comment

I would buy a pair of Adidas Schadenfreudes

Comment

That's very funny. And yes, that bit of red is definitely part of the Predator colourway. The simple white on black that all football boots should be limited to in an ideal world is the World Cup/Copa Mundial colourway.

Comment

This reminds me of Ilie Nastase’s Spaghetti Racquet and Dennis Lillie’s aluminium bat.

At work. On phone. Can’t link.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        I found out today that the contemporary diagonal AS Monaco shirt was designed by Grace Kelly.

Bloody hell.
                        Her appearance at Tannadice for a UEFA cup game in the 80s is legendary, partly due to being immortalised in song by Michael Marra (I'll try to find a link). Not as legendary as our hammering them 5-2 over there in the 1st leg, tho'. Arf.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd seen WBA's change kit until today. Must ask DG if it is seen as a tribute to The Baggies' relatively prominent Norn Iron contingent ;

Comment

|Suppose the counts as 'kit' but Nike have at last revolutionised the snood, I bet you've been waiting for this I know that I certainly have.

I'm an old miserable git now, but I have the feeling that they would not have gone down well in the Derby Taverners League on a Sunday morning

Comment

I can imagine Carlos Tevez has put in his order already, especially with the air quality in Shanghai.

Comment

Luis Suarez might be better regarded if he'd used one of those throughout his career.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  I can imagine Carlos Tevez has put in his order already, especially with the air quality in Shanghai.
                                  Carlos Tevez is currently in Buenos Aires and expected to re-join Boca Juniors in the next couple of months, and if they can't make the maths work, then possibly to retire. I think he scored about three goals this year in China.

Comment

How aptly named is the city at the moment?

Comment

Well it's been quite windy in the last few days. And we don't have a thick pall of smog over everything all the time, like what I am lead to believe Shanghai has.

Comment

He'll buy ten anyway, you know what Carlitos is like.

Comment

In August it was announced that the Cheltenham Fitness Coach's fiancé had been diagnosed with lung cancer - the club naturally rallied around Ian Hutton and his fiancé and players wore t-shirts whilst warming up when we played West Ham live on Sky in the 2nd round of the League Cup.

Anyway, this has led to the club doing a Blue day in support of the British Lung Foundation, and Cheltenham will be wearing a one-off blue home kit for the first time at Whaddon Road against Crewe next Saturday - today that kit was announced:

Credit to the club's sponsors who were more than happy to accept that they're names won't be emblazoned on the kit for one game (I actually believe Mira have made their own contribution as well).

The match-worn shirts will be auctioned off in a party at the Robin's Club after the game.

Comment

Nantes are having to wear their training kit against St Etienne this afternoon as both their home and change shirts are deemed to be a clash.

Comment

Charlton are wearing a special 92/93 retro kit for their game on Saturday commemorating the 25th anniversary of their return to The Valley :

It’s sponsorless like the Ribero original :

I think we’ve probably covered it already but their Denmark-inspired Hummel regular kit this season is very nice too :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-12-2017, 09:09.

Comment

Oh fucking hell, now stuff I can remember happening first hand is the subject of one-off retro kits :-(

Anyone else feel old as hell reading that?

Comment

I'm not sure I'd seen WBA's change kit until today. Must ask DG if it is seen as a tribute to The Baggies' relatively prominent Norn Iron contingent
                                                  That's our 3rd kit, and will, hopefully, only be seen a couple of times this season, on account of the away kit being predominantly white and clashing with the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield and Spurs. It's basically a change shirt, as the shorts and socks come from the home kit. No official mention of whether it's a tribute to anything, feels like a bit of a mish mash, although the shirts were auctioned off for charity the first time they were seen.

Comment

I'm guessing 'Walsh: 3:07 PM 3/12/92' (just visible on the back hem of that Charlton shirt) is the first scorer at the Valley? Nice detail.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X