The (renewable) heat is on in Stormont!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Minister, Arlene Foster, has been embroiled in controversy in recent weeks after it emerged that a renewable energy scheme spiralled out of control, with operational costs of £400m. One of her DUP ministerial colleagues, Stephen Bell, has claimed that the party intervened to prevent the scheme being wound up, with the SDLP and UUP tabling a joint no-confidence motion. Now, McGuinness has called on Foster to resign, so could the Fermanagh native be out on her ear before Christmas?

And then who, Paisley jr as FM? I hate eyebrows Arlene and everything she stands for, but cannae see her going.

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzz

That Free Presbytaliban cunt Bell got down on his knees for a quick prayer in the TV studio before knifing horrible Arlene in his interview.
      Either that or he was blowing that slug Nolan.

Comment

It was even more cringeworthy than Bowie's skit at the Freddie tribute.

Comment

can anyone explain how this got so out of hand. It must be said that Peter Robinson has set the bar pretty low in terms of acceptable behaviour from a first minister, but I don't know if it ever got to this point with him.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: And then who, Paisley jr as FM? I hate eyebrows Arlene and everything she stands for, but cannae see her going.
            It appears Nigel Dodds is deputy leader, but then again, as you say, hard to think of any DUP politician who isn't utterly loathsome.

Comment

Simon Hamilton is the most likely successor, or would be but for health issues (Crohn's and complications).

Anchorman bides his time...

The main drama with Fatso Nolan is whether he'll have fcuked off to a US talk show before his Ma and occasional sidekick wee Audrey realises he's gay

Comment

Hold On, He's not out? I just always assumed he was gay.

Next You'll be telling me Julian Simmons has a wife and seven Kids and Preaches on the Lord's day.

Comment

It's fantastic Julian still does his wee announcing bits. I think all that couthy continuity stuff stopped on STV about 20 years ago. God bless UTV.

Comment

In the glamorous world of audio, I once worked with Julian who was hosting a wine-tasting expo. He's actually quite risqué away from TV work and was quite the raconteur and a decent spud.
                    Years before that I saw him driving round a roundabout in Stockwell and noted that he has a Belisha Beacon for a head and a permanent smile which reminded me of the automatic pilot in Airplane.

Comment

I can think of few things more fun in Belfast than an hour or two in Julian's company. For once I'm not being facetious.

Comment

I'm pleased to hear that. Anyone who could wear those jumpers was clearly taking the piss.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: I can think of few things more fun in Belfast than an hour or two in Julian's company. For once I'm not being facetious.
                          Oh, me too and had I been there for the fucking craic you'd have a point.

Comment

It must be tough being the only gay in Northern Ireland for all that time. A similar experience down south gave David Norris the ability to tell stories so filthy you could turn sand into glass, before the glass in turn evaporated.

Comment

You're forgetting Julian's chums in party politics (the photo is from 1974):

Start with the two Jims (second and fifth left), while extreme right (no please), Terry Wogan and Norris out of Corrie have a definite come hither look.

Paisley's nickname for Powell was the 'Wolverhampton Wanderer'.

Comment

They're just aping their betters, slavishly copying the public school ethos of emotional cauterization, psychotic bullying and compulsory furtive homosexuality. I bet half of them caught it in the Army.Then again They're no gayer than the Labour party ministers in the govt that decriminalized homosexuality. When that part of the programme for govt came up for the discussion in cabinet, I imagine that a certain hush would fall over the room as everyone who might have any objections remembered that they were in a locked room, and perhaps discretion might be the better part of valour, and they'd keep their private opinions until they were in the safety of Buswells. But things have degenerated to the point where we have openly gay, indian Blueshirt leadership contenders, so things move quickly.

A more interesting point is when did you start to have openly gay people in NI? Julian came out in 2008, which is about the time that Des Bishop outed Derek Mooney, (Mooney was openly gay in his private life, but didn't think it was remotely relevant his point was when was the last time you heard the presenter of a nature show talking about being straight. and Pat Carey only came out when he effectively retired from politics about three years ago. There's a couple of more politicians who should really have come out a long time ago.

Comment

McGuinness resigns as Deputy First Minister - so, surprisingly, it looks like the North has beaten the Republic in the race to the ballot box.

Comment

I'm not near any live interviews, so can anyone confirm whether the reports that he's close to death are more than Unionist wishfulness?

Personally I wish the old bastard a long retirement. In the same Florida care home as Robinson?

Comment

He looks terrible and sounds about 80.

Comment

Agreed (I've just seen him on the TV News).

Comment

Just watching him now. He's lost a bit of weight, but looks shattered. He's also caught up with his actual age in a very short space of time out a couple of teeth and he'd sound like that whistling ferret Little cathal Daly,

Comment

He looks so tired its unreal. I'm sure I saw him last month grousing about Arlene typically gimlet eyed and without looking and sounding proper elderly. When he started talking he had the kind of beat down wheeze my grandad had after my gran died.

Comment

Interestingly, Slugger O'Toole suggests that neither Alliance nor the Greens would lose seats, despite the reduction in Assembly size to 90 seats.

Comment

SDLP have resurrected the old demand for condominium status - unusual for them to outflank SF, but could give them renewed relevance.

Comment

haha, well that would put the shits right up the DUP. would they be able to impose that over the top of the good friday agreement?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X