Non-International International Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking about teams like Corsica, the Basque Country, Brittany etc has anyone ever been a game involving one of these teams? What are they like? Worse than a normal international friendly (not necessarily in terms of quality, but tempo, desire etc)? There's one coming up at San Mamés at the end of the month and I'm quite keen on going but not if it was going to be a total waste of time. For those interested, Euskal Selekzioa are playing Tunisia.

Here's a list of all of the Basque Country's matches.

The last time they played Tunisia at the old San Mames, they got 35,000, so I would expect atmosphere to be good.

Attendances are generally quite high for matches played in this window because they are affordable and everyone is off from work.

Having watched a few of these on television, I would compare the quality to that of a typical friendly international between middling teams; they aren't testimonials.

Comment

Cheers Ursus. I think I'll head along. I guess such matches are relatively unique in football too and I doubt I'll live anywhere else where a team like that exists. Plus, could be interesting to see Tunisia as they'll be using it as a warm up for the African Nations Cup.

Comment

Catalunya got decent attendances playing the likes of Bulgaria and Nigeria around the late nineties, and with a pretty good team. Gave the endlessly crap but picturesque Montjuic as much seny atmosphere as it could generate.

Comment

They played the Basques at Camp Nou last Boxing Day and got over 50,000, in part because Pique and Busquets both played.

Aduriz scored the only goal of the game for Euskadi.

Comment

Working...
          X