Blood Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Has the previous version of the game been completely obliterated by the forces of Chaos, necessitating the relaunch...?
    It's a year after the event but I've just noticed this is a quip about The Age Of Sigmar, isn't it? That upset an awful lot of people.

Comment

They've released some star player figures including two skaven mutants that look hilarious and I might have to go and buy them even though I've owned this game for 18 months and only played half a game with it and agh, damn it, they've got me.

They've got me good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        They've released some star player figures including two skaven mutants that look hilarious and I might have to go and buy them even though I've owned this game for 18 months and only played half a game with it and agh, damn it, they've got me.

They've got me good.
        This is what happens when you go into the Smiths in the concourse as work to buy lunch and idly pick up a few magazines to flick through and 'ooh, a new White Dwarf'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          It's a year after the event but I've just noticed this is a quip about The Age Of Sigmar, isn't it? That upset an awful lot of people.
          Was away for a few days this weekend and just catching up on all the threads I missed, and so only just seen your comment here Kev. This may be the slowest 'conversation' ever held, but I can confirm (20 months after I made the original comment) it was indeed a quip about Age of Sigmar. I know very little about the game, but I do know that yes, it definitely pissed a lot of people off.

I've also only just noticed PT's comment here, after a mere 19 months:
          Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Mrs Thistle, who then went on and looked up prices online, found a local place that was selling it £10 cheaper than Games Workshop, then suggested we go and buy it on Friday evening from said games place, which turns out to be a cool gaming space and shop I didn't know existed. I married above myself.
          If it's still there at this juncture, may I ask where this place you mentioned is, PT? I'll look forward to getting/noticing a reply circa 2020.

Comment

Firestorm Games on Trade Street in Cardiff (behind the Station off Penarth Road). Their Games Workshop stuff is generally cheaper than in a GW shop* and they stock Blood Bowl which GW shops don't tend to.

*now rebranded Warhammer shops

Comment

Ah! Yes, I know the street, having looked it up on Google Maps – was there a couple of years back when I was with friends who were doing something about a rental car, and I now see I must've been almost down to the door of Firestorm when we walked back to where they'd parked their own car, but I certainly never noticed it at the time. Will have to have a look in there sometime – probably just for an intrigued browse to be fair, but still. Thanks PT.

Comment

This might be of some interest to you, about how Warhammer (both business and game) reflects the times:

http://outermode.com/warhammer-40000...ng-the-present

Might have to squint a bit to see it as actually predicting anything, but there's some parallels and it works as a case study I think...

Comment

That was interesting although I didn't read it all.

Found out yesterday the new star players are "Forgeworld" which means they won't be in the games shop I like. I think this means I might have to go into an actual Warhammer shop, which I don't like because the staff are pushy. Hopefully they're available online.

Almost bought myself an elf team in the games shop, but I don't need it.

Comment

Blood Bowl match report

Skaven 2 Orcs 0

Despite a horrific tally of injuries the skaven won a full length game thanks to the speed and agility of their gutter runners. Their best move was when a runner blitzed the orc thrower and proceeded to charge down to the end zone successfully "going for it".

The orcs used their strength and the skaven's low armour values to obliterate them. Nine injuries later and when the game ended only three rats were left on the pitch. But, in a hilarious twist, the skaven were one fumbled catch in the very last play away from scoring a third down. If only I'd rolled a 6!

It's the first time I've played as the skaven and I learned a lot. Mainly I learned to stay the fuck away from big orcs, find the gaps and run through them, and also you need subs. You get 12 players in the team set and start the game with 11. If you have players that are easily twatted into unconsciousness then you need more players to bring on to plug the gaps.

Comment

So I finally built the ogre figure who was a Chrimbo present 10 months ago. The living room now smells of model glue (mmmmm) and I've got a dude who can protect my rats next time I play. See how those orc fuckers like getting pounded on.

Comment

I opened a birthday present early and now have a Lizardmen team. Mrs Thistle likes the chameleon catchers who use their tongue to catch the ball. This might be the thing that gets her into playing. He says, hopefully.

Comment

I spray painted 3 blood bowl teams (not allowed to open the Lizardmen yet) and the ogre white as an undercoat today. I started on some other figures when the can abruptly ran out.

Comment

Comment

I've been playing BB2 on PC a lot recently. Makes a good lockdown multiplayer game.

Comment

Blood Bowl 3 has been announced for the computer next year and there is a new "season" of the board game coming this "holiday period". It's got me excited enough to go buy some paints for my current models. The new season has some rule changes that look interesting. They're introducing a passing stat while will make skaven and human throwers more valuable and weaken the ability of any elf player to chuck the ball about.

I can't decide on colour schemes for my Human and Orc teams though. I'm tempted to ask for inspiration on one of the American Football threads. But even then, football has a jersey over armour while blood bowl players tend to have armour and visible baselayer.

Comment

I've just got Blood Bowl 2 as it's ?8 for everything which is a bargain, even with a new edition coming soon.

Comment

I was sure there was a general wargaming thread but I can't find it.
                                    https://www.shatnerchatner.com/p/gor...source=twitter

Comment

This reminds me I haven't built my Lizardmen team. I've got some more primer though. And I think I've got the right shade of paint for them.

Comment

I'd be willing to swear that Tratorello wrote about reading battle reports during lockdown. I wanted to mention that I'm really into reading the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding the recent Drukari (formerly dark eldar) release. They are, apparently, too good. It's really interesting despite me last playing the game more than 20 years and 7 editions ago.

Comment

Is that a Dark Elf team for Blood Bowl or Drukari in one of the war games?

Comment

Oh it's 40k. They've renamed all the factions to make them less generic and more legally defended.

Comment

Right, I knew that. The orks are something else now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                I'd be willing to swear that Tratorello wrote about reading battle reports during lockdown. I wanted to mention that I'm really into reading the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding the recent Drukari (formerly dark eldar) release. They are, apparently, too good. It's really interesting despite me last playing the game more than 20 years and 7 editions ago.
                                                I started watching them on YouTube during the first lockdown, when there was no sport to watch or even listen to.

First, it was WH40K which I'd played, back in the day (Rogue Trader 1st edition, yes, I'm that old) then I started watching a few for other games including Bolt Action, a WW2 game that I've now become slightly obsessed by. It was slightly odd getting back into a hobby that I'd last been involved in 25+ years ago but it's been a bit of a godsend during the last 12 months or so. Making a few models and painting them up has been very meditative and relaxing.

My latest jam is Mel the Terrain Tutor (even though he can't pronounce the word "foliage"). His tutorials are almost hypnotic and I can spend hours watching how to make realistic rocks out of sealant foam or pill boxes out of styrofoam and barbecue skewers, even though I've yet to make a single piece myself.
                                                Last edited by Tratorello; 07-05-2021, 17:28.

Comment

When I regularly played RPGs and tabletop war-games it continually pissed me off that Elves/Dark Elves/Eldar or whatever you wanted to call them, were always massively overpowered.

I blame Tolkien and that smug cunt Legolas.

Comment

I'm hoping to play my first tabletop game in well over 25 years (in this case Bolt Action aka WH1940K), in the next few weeks.

There's several gaming clubs near me in the East Midlands including several that run Bloodbowl leagues. I'm lucky to be living in the "lead belt" where loads of the games and miniatures companies are based, including, of course, the big player, Games Workshop just up the road from me in Nottingham.

I had the first edition of Bloodbowl (all the players were cardboard) and absolutely loved it as I was really into Channel 4's American Football coverage, and the writer, Jervis Johnson, included loads of puns and jokes relating to the real sport. I hardly played any games though, as in those pre-internet days it was difficult to find other players and it was a much more underground hobby than it is today, admitting you played D&D or war-games was completely socially unacceptable.

In fact I find it slightly annoying that nowadays all my teenage hobbies, roleplaying, wargaming, comics, Star Wars, Judge Dredd and sci-fi TV that marked me out as a complete loser are now totally cool and embody "geek chic". Where was that sentiment in the late 80s and early 90s?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X