Christmas Boos - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the London Millers' Christmas Party tomorrow, on the train up to Rotherham for the game against Queens Park Rangers. We'll have some fizz and food on the train before the game, a few pints in the New York Tavern and then watch our latest pathetic defeat before returning to London in time to look at the steam engine in Kings Cross...

Nothing for me this weekend.

Comment

I'm limited by the need to be in Bath in the evening and planning to watch my elder daughter row in a regatta around lunchtime.

I had hoped to make London Welsh's fixture against Doncaster in the British & Irish Cup but that has now been cancelled/postponed with their liquidation so if I do anything it will probably just be Molesey v Herne Bay.

Comment

Alfreton Town v North Ferriby United in the Trophy.

Comment

Arsenal v Stoke City.

Comment

If this stretches to Monday then Carshalton Athletic V Tooting & Mitcham in the Surrey Senior Cup.

Comment

Probably a trip to Kirkby for the I Zingari Combination mid-table clash between Dynamo Maghull and Liverpool Hibernia. I'm sure there will be hundreds there.

Comment

Birmingham at home. Not a regular fixture but there was a season in the mid 70s when we played each other about 6 times in 6 weeks. Such familiarity didnt endear respect with a number of disciplinary and injury affairs. Jinky Jim Smith was sent off before a minute had been played in one of them. Kenny Burns might have been a long term casualty in another.

Comment

Barnsley v Norwich City

In our last eleven games against Norwich we have drawn two and lost nine...

Comment

My other half has been recreating the vomit scene from the Exorcist for the last 24 hours so I'd say there's a fair chance I'll get a lend of his season ticket to go watch Hull v Palace this afternoon. Haven't been to the Circle yet this season so I'm morbidly fascinated to see just how gloomy things are.

Comment

Game 1. Stoke U18s v Liverpool U18s.

Comment

TuS Mechtersheim v. Blau-Weiss Karbach, Oberliga Rheinland-Pfalz/Saar

This is a replay of a game that ended in a win for Karbach earlier this season, but not before a mass brawl on the pitch had ended with a Karbach physio decking a Mechtersheim player. As he had to be replaced due to concussion, Mechtersheim successfully petitioned for a replay as the physio had unlawfully affected events on the pitch by chinning that player... Mechtersheim have appealed for all players, staff and spectators to stay calm and enjoy today's game in a sporting spirit, but as the crowd probably won't exceed 200 anyway, the Stadion an der Kirschenallee is unlikely to be a pulsating cauldron of hate.

Karbach's early-season form has fallen away and they have dropped out of the promotion race really, while Mechtersheim have won five out of their last six matches and will spend the Christmas break in second place if they win today.

Comment

Eintracht Frankfurt 0 Hoffenheim 0

One of the ugliest games I've ever seen. Frankfurt were lucky that in the first half the ref refrained from punishing Fabian and Seferovic (yellows) and Abrahams (straight red). In fact in the whole of the foul-strewn first half he didn't show a single card, and lost all credibility with the players who decided they could try and get away with anything and everything. There were a lot of fouls, and then a lot more, and in the second half several skirmishes, seven yellows and a red (bafflingly for Chandler, a mere late arrival at a mass shoving match) - all too late to save a poor, forgettable game. Frankfurt had the best chances, but 0-0 was the absolutely appropriate result.

Comment

Game 2.

Comment

Horsham v Ramsgate

HFC's pre-Christmas family day with the youth teams' coaches, parents, players and sponsors here as invited guests.

Won a bottle of Hepworth & Co Sussex Pale Ale on the tombola and Mrs Flibl bought me a HFC tie to wear at a wedding in February.

Some smiley Ramsgate fans in the clubhouse playing cards, I'm drinking Stowford Press cider and all is well with the world.

Comment

Game 3.

Comment

Game 4.

Comment

Lively start from both teams. We're still going to lose, mind...

Comment

Our borrowed Chelsea player scores a lovely goal to put us into the lead...

Comment

Glorious victory. Bring on the Fulham!

Comment

By the way, at least one other post vanished into the black hole of this board...

Comment

...Perhaps the 'upgrade' isn't as bad as everyone thinks after all!

Reds 2-1 Canaries

A super, high tempo, pressing performance from the Super Reds in the first half, with two nice goals. At the beginning of the second though Norwich took full control and we were waiting for the inevitable equaliser. After we switched to five in the middle we got back into the game a bit more and managed to hold on.

Comment

Circumstances meant a change of plan and instead of Alfreton I took in some Northern Premier League Premier Division action at

Frickley Athletic 4-0 Ilkeston

Easy victory for Frickley, they scored early after a magnificent piece of hoofball, then Ilkeston had a man sent off for a bad challenge and Frickley ended up running away in the second half. Curtly Wyatt completed his dream debut hat trick from virtually the last kick with a penalty.

Ilkeston brought a few for some festive fun in South Elmsall, all wearing hideous Christmas jumpers and some horrendous hats. The dreadful performance of their team saw them migrate to beneath the directors box near the end to call for someone to go and "we want our club back". Frickley's security decided to move them on and this led to some angry exchanges and a youngster getting what used to be known as a thick ear.

None of this excuses the absolute state of their kit though. Yes that is the stripes stopping half way down the shirt.

Comment

Report from today.

Comment

Mechtersheim 3-1 Karbach

A very open game with plenty of chances for both sides, two red cards and lots of niggly little incidents. It seemed pretty clear that both teams were still a bit worked up about the events at the previous encounter in September and the ref did pretty well to keep things relatively calm. Karbach had a shot cleared off the line in the first minute and created some other early chances, but Mechtersheim took the lead with a cracking half-volley from the edge of the box and didn't look back after that. They were two goals to the good, and a man down, by half-time but Karbach failed to capitalise on their advantage after the break, and Mechtersheim's third was a beauty, a curling, dipping shot from the edge of the area that looped over the keeper. The visitors pulled one back just before the end but Mechtersheim now look to be a in really strong position to make a push for promotion after the winter break. Whether they want to step up to the money pit that is the Regionalliga is another matter entirely.

Mechtersheim's lone Ultra had to leave his drum and flag unattended while he went to grab a Bratwurst at half-time:

Attached files [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/620/InfernoMechtersheim_WSC.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X