Players Now Deceased Whom You Watched In Person Many Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mockswing wrote: Seconded, was superb at York City, especially in partnership with John Byrne, when York won the 4th Division Title in 1984 with 101 points.
    He's so well thought of that one of the hospitality lounges at Bootham Crescent is named after him, and there's a vague muttering about a campaign to have a statue of him at the new ground if that ever gets built. Sadly I'm too young to have watched him in that mid-80s period, but I did see him get a run-out in a testimonial in the 90s (possibly Tony Canham's) so at least I have seen him on the field. As with TRLB's story from Carlisle, he was one of the first black players to make a significant contribution at York, where racist chanting was still fairly common when I started going around 1990 even after having had Walwyn as a massive fans' favourite just a few years previously. Folk are strange...

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: For those of us that started watching Reading in the 1980s, the death of Robin Friday meant little or nothing to us. The death of Dean Horrix in the same year, was immeasurably more poignant.
      I have an idea that the death of Robin Friday elicited little response in Cardiff at the time. It was only in retrospect that he became a cult hero there, certainly more than 6 years later when the Super Furries released "The Man Don't Give A Fuck". Probably the same with Howard Marks actually.

Comment

This version isn't getting any better is it? Six point-ish font for replies makes it nigh on impossible for me to use. Anyhow, Johnny Miller and Dale Roberts from "my era" at Ipswich. Edited because I inadvertently killed someone off.

Comment

Did not know Paul Futcher had died - watched his brother Ron torment my Tulsa Roughnecks for years when playing for Minnesota, but then he transferred to Tulsa to help them w/ their sole Soccer Bowl in 1983.

I'll go w/ a few from my NASL days. Alan Woodward and Barry Wallace were Roughnecks, while I was also fortunate to see the great George Best, Cruyff, and Chinaglia.

Comment

I'm another who watched Gary Speed play a number of times at St James' Park and also at White Hart Lane and Loftus Road.

Comment

We had a minute's silence at the New York on Saturday for two recently dead Millers (Harold Waller and Dennis Warner) who were both well before my time,. But Emlyn Hughes wasn't. And be played in the same team as Gerry Gow.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                Was anyone else watching that BBC Whites vs Blacks football doc as bemused as I was by Adrian Chiles's failure to mention Justin Fashanu even in passing?
                I watched that doc, and what surprised me was that he didn't play.

Comment

Whites vs Blacks was played on 16 May 1979 and Fashanu had only made his professional debut on 13 January of the same year.

It seems extraordinary that a racist Whites vs Blacks concept could have occurred in my lifetime; May 1979 was a time when Two Tone was already in the charts, yet football was still in the Black & White Minstrels mindset.

Comment

Working...
                  X