Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And on that bombshell... F1 and motorsport 2017

One of the more hilarious intentionally/unintentionally farewell quotes:

"I still have many friends in Formula 1. And I still have enough money to afford to attend a race."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127858/ecclestone-ousted-as-formula-1-ceo

Comment

Liberty Media have deposed Bernie as CEO of Formula 1, he's being replaced by Chase Carey. He's being offered an honorary title, something along the lines of "Life President" but doesn't sound very inclined to take it based on reports.

This is huge, we always knew Bernie's time would come to an end eventually purely if on the grounds of age, but it was always expected he'd get some sort of say over his successor - Christian Horner had often been mentioned in this capacity. Now his train has reached the end of the line, Liberty have got their man in charge and could do anything, hopefully resulting in the sport as a whole being given a much needed shake up.

Comment

Feeling quite good about the thread title, tbh.

Ross Brawn getting a big role - that has to be a good thing, doesn't it?

Comment

One week to save Manor, by the way.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Feeling quite good about the thread title, tbh.

Ross Brawn getting a big role - that has to be a good thing, doesn't it?
            Yes, though it'll be interesting to see the dynamic between him and Jean Todt, who was his boss at Ferrari. Word was that they tolerated each other at best.

Liberty have just announced that Bernie is to be "Chairman Emeritus".

Comment

Monte Carlo WRC highlights on "My5":
              http://www.channel5.com/show/fia-world-rally-championship-highlights

Comment

Found myself rooting for M Sport btw, possibly because they got a lot of coverage. Malcolm Wilson seems a very solid bloke though.

Comment

Not going to happen, the administrators have pulled the plug after failing to find a buyer.

So that's all four teams who came into the sport at the start of 2010 gone. Hispania limped to the end of 2012, Caterham went in 2014, USF1 never even made it onto the grid.

Comment

Third rate les bleus wrote: Lando Norris looks to have some serious potential - would be very surprised if he didn't reach F1.
                    McLaren have signed Norris to their Young Driver programme. There's no guarantee that this will mean he ends up in F1, but there's a clear route for him now. This pathway has worked for drivers in recent years - Magnussen and Vandoorne both came through it.

Comment

Be still my heart.

McLaren return to orange.

If only it was competitive.

Comment

Meanwhile Williams have got a new sponsor. Insert your own joke here.

Comment

Here's a pretty good deal on two orange McLaren's with some undercarriage and front end damage.

Good Ol' Copart.com

Comment

The team might want to consider using them, given that it's clear from the first couple of days of testing that they have another heap of shit that is neither quick nor reliable.

Comment

RIP John Surtees.

Comment

Ah, another one gone. At least he lived to a decent age.

Comment

Really sad to hear about John Surtees - a genuine legend and national treasure who should've been celebrated beyond the motorsport world and in an era when honours are handed out like confetti to absolute no-marks it's a disgrace that he wasn't knighted years ago.

Comment

Here's to a true Ferrari v Mercedes this year.

There's nothing better in this Mercedes era than Toto Wolff Scheißin' and poundin' a monitor stand when things don't go right, like Vettel beating the pitstop.

Round 1 - Melbourne
                                    1 Sebastian Vettel.....GER........FERRARI..................... 25
                                    2 Lewis Hamilton.....GBR........MERCEDES................18
                                    3 Valtteri Bottas.......FIN..........MERCEDES................ 15
                                    4 Kimi Räikkönen....FIN..........FERRARI................. ...12
                                    5 Max Verstappen....NED.........RED BULL..................10
                                    6 Felipe Massa..........BRA.........WILLIAMS............... .. 8
                                    7 Sergio Perez..........MEX.........FORCE INDIA.............6
                                    8 Carlos Sainz...........ESP...........TORO ROSSO.............4
                                    9 Daniil Kvyat..........RUS..........TORO ROSSO.............2
                                    10 Esteban Ocon........FRA..........FORCE INDIA...........1

Comment

Yeah, I hope we get a multi-team battle too, but not getting carried away just yet as Melbourne tends not to be a representative example of the year ahead. Ferrari should have won there last year then never came close to doing so again. If they can repeat that in either China or Bahrain then we definitely have a contest on our hands.

Couple of motorsport programmes on BBC4 this evening, there's a repeat of the John Surtees documentary from a few years back followed by one on Tommy Byrne.

Comment

Ferrari were almost a second off the pace in qualifying last year, and this year were a quarter-second off. They also looked much more comfortable in traffic than the Mercedes, which could be crucial.

I'm not ready to announce 2017 as a battle royale between Ferrari and Mercedes, but the signs are promising, much more so than last year.

Race felt, in a way, more like a 90s GP with the passing under pit stops, fairly high level of attrition and the cars looking somewhat more wobbly on the limit than last year.

Comment

Belatedly adding my voice to those lamenting the passing of Surtees. Total hero!

The first classic/historic race meeting I think I might go to is that of the Thruxton Classic Sports Car Clubmeeting. £10 for a one-day ticket and £18 for a weekend ticket - now that's good value! Pisses all over football, for a start! It's more than that to see Woking! Anyway... I think I might go.

I'm also tempted by the Brands Hatch Masters, in May and - in October - the Castle Combe Autumn Classic events too. Both are a little bit more expensive than Thruxton (my nearest circuit) but still pretty good value.

There's plenty more than these too, due to the rival organisations that cover classic/historic racing. Here's the calendars of the main three:

Classic Sports Car Club

Historic Sports Car Club

Masters Historic Racing

Something for everyone! ...I hope!

Comment

Is there any historic racing yet for 90s F1 cars? I'd love to see that.

Comment

They seem to be getting close to that - quite a lot of 80s F1 stuff going on, so give it a few years.

Comment

Comment

longeared wrote: Couple of motorsport programmes on BBC4 this evening, there's a repeat of the John Surtees documentary from a few years back followed by one on Tommy Byrne.
                                                  Just watched the Tommy Byrne one on TiVo, having read and enjoyed his autobiography a few years ago. He's not always the most sympathetic character, but he's one of a kind and you can't help but wonder what the F1 record books would look like if he'd got the breaks that his talent clearly deserved.

Comment

Somewhat hilarious Aussie Grand Prix Recap by dumb American comedian.

He also loves the Toto Fist Scheiß Slam.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X