Bully's Special Prize: Rugby League 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah - and the Magic Weekend special kits...

Comment

Kevin S wrote: And had some punches thrown. They've fully embraced the game, it seems.
      Looks like the players get rated for their fighting skillz:
      Sean Penkywicz (Toronto) - Grade A Head Butting – light contact (EGP available)
      Jacob Emmitt (Toronto) - Grade C Punching (EGP available)
      Callum Windley (Oxford) - Grade B Punching (EGP available)
      Blake Wallace (Toronto) - Grade B Punching (EGP available)
      Liam Kay (Toronto) - Grade B Punching (EGP available)
      http://www.rugby-league.com/article/40018/disciplinary-eight-players-charged

No Super League this weekend because, as mentioned up the page, it's the last 16 of the Challenge Cup.

Comment

I hadn't clocked the name Barrow Raiders before. They sound like iron age grave robbers

Comment

They initially went with Barrow Braves, before "merging" with Carlisle Border Raiders. They spent a season or two as Barrow Border Raiders, playing all the games in Barrow, and then dropped the "Border" from the name

Comment

GO's mentioned it on the matchgoing thread, but wasn't that stunning from Cas? I really hope they're not peaking too soon. Though to win the treble, you've got to peak twice I suppose.

Sixth Round results and Quarter Final draw
            [spoiler]
             Featherstone 24–12  Halifax
             Salford 24–14  Hull KR
             Dewsbury 6–54  Wakefield
             Hull FC 62–0  Catalans
             Castleford 53–10  St Helens
             Leeds 72–10  Barrow
             Swinton 12–42  Wigan
             Warrington 34–20  Widnes

QFs:
             Warrington –  Wigan
             Leeds –  Featherstone
             Salford –  Wakefield
             Hull FC –  Castleford

Leeds have had a couple of good draws the last two rounds!
            [/spoiler]

Comment

Isn't it pleasant to see Wigan getting a torrid anal hammering...

Comment

Why don't they just buy the Bears?

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Toronto Wolfpack win their first home match 62-12.

More importantly, they drew over 6,000 people.
                  The press is starting to notice Wolfpack. It's doing well at the gate and the vibe is very good. I guess they're stacked with pro players so they should move up quickly.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Isn't it pleasant to see Wigan getting a torrid anal hammering...
                    This is brilliantly bonkers:
                    https://twitter.com/SuperLeague/stat...116356608?s=09
                    All on the fifth tackle.

Comment

Summer rugby in the pissing rain in the Tyne Valley, with Gateshead Storm Reserves taking on Cramlington Rockets in the North East mens league.

Comment

Onto the tree lined Monkton Stadium for Jarrow Vikings v Durham Tigers.

Comment

I feel I have neglected this thread this year, my attention is divided over too many things these days.

However, glad to report we have another gripping State of Origin series on the go. NSW won the first game (in Brisbane) so convincingly that all the talk was of a permanent shift, with Queensland's 'golden generation' ageing rapidly and coming to the end of its dominance. However they hit back in style yesterday, winning a close game in Sydney with a typical late try to level, and a Thurston conversion to win it 18-16, when it looked like NSW had done enough to hang on.

Back to Brisbane for the decider on 12 July. It should have been Thurston's farewell appearance, but a shoulder injury might keep him out anyway, so that kick to level the series might have been his last contribution.

Comment

Meanwhile much fun domestically as St Helens com back from 24-8 down against Salford with eight minutes to go, scoring three tries to level, and then Matty Smith kicking a last minute drop goal from 40 yards out to win it. Saints are all over the shop this season but are still capable of spoiling other teams' parties.

Comment

I think there's a reason why Cas always look like they're enjoying themselves on the pitch - might be something to do with this bloke...?
                              https://twitter.com/CTRLFC/status/880073814784303108

Comment

Leeds are starting to look ominous again, and Salford might be starting to look a bit vulnerable; I think it's Cas and Leeds plus two, and I can see that being Hull and Saints myself. Theo Fages had a stunning game on Friday for Saints. Images of Thurston sprang to mind and I don't think it was just the scrum cap and number 6 - his movement and vision were fantastic.

Danny McGuire is making this his last season with Leeds - whether he goes out with a treble like the rest of the old guard did remains to be seen, I suppose.

Wire need to win at Wigan tomorrow otherwise they will join Leigh, Widnes, Catalans, Hull KR, London Broncos, Featherstone and either Halifax or Toulouse in the qualifiers. Though a Huddersfield win at home to Leigh on Friday does that job regardless, so we're pretty much there anyway.

Terribly sad news from the junior game, however, as Under 14 player Evan Hawksworth died following a serious head injury.

Comment

I presume that a Toulouse-Catalans match in the qualifiers would be a notable first?

The A61 derby...?

Comment

Here were Fages' two stand out moments. Percival's finish on the second is outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3U0eivx0A&t=2m15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3U0eivx0A&t=4m33s

Comment

State of Origin game three highlights
                                      [spoiler] [/spoiler]

Comment

Hull KR is going to be Danny McGuire's next club.

Meanwhile, Saints show that when you're hot, you're hot. Fages and Roby somehow find a way to get Morgan in past Catalans yesterday:
                                        https://twitter.com/SuperLeague/status/886661605060227074

Comment

BBC Sport is making heavy work of filling an hour before the CC final starts. Should give pause for thought for anyone who still hankers after old style all day FA Cup final broadcasts.

I've rather lost touch with RL in recent years and this is a bit like watching Coronation Street after a prolonged break; some things are different but there's enough familiar faces for it not to feel too alien. There's even been a reference to a longstanding older character who no longer appears but is still referred to as if just off screen, Ray French in this case.

Nice to hear New Order as period backing music for some '80s highlights too.

Comment

Went to this. Great game but attendance dissapointing.

Comment

It looked like two thirds of the top level was closed, watching on TV. I haven't been since 2008 but was quite surprised by that; the attendance posted for last year was 76,000 so it must have been quite a bit lower today.

Comment

I wonder if Hull took a lot of fans last year, and having got the monkey off their back weren't able to summon as much enthusiasm this time.

It was a decent game, though the tiredness manifested itself in poor attacking rather than poor defending in the last 30 minutes which was a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Canal du Midi View Post
                                                  Great game but attendance dissapointing.
                                                  I was surprised to see a group of Warrington fans in the pub watching this on telly, when they could've just hopped on the tube a couple of stops and actually gone to the game.

Comment

Taxi driver on Sunday with a Sheffield -> Leicester -> York and return to pick up my 83 year old dad and his older brother to see York's crucial game against Donny. A win for the home side (though I can never regard Bootham Crescent as York's "home") will see them make 4th spot and the play-offs. A win for the Dragons/Lakers/Dons will see them hop above York on points difference with a game to play. The winner can almost certainly look forward to a trip to Toronto, though York are the only side to have defeated them so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X