No announcement yet.

2017 Copa Libertadores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was a much better match than the first one from a neutral perspective. Gremio looked very good at the back and made the most of their counterattacks, both goals were top quality finishes. I didn't pay attention the possession stats that showed during half-time and didn't see any listed during full time, but it seemed to me that Lanus controlled possession. They just couldn't do much with the ball in the final third and Gremio were deadly during 2/3 of their really good chances. That Luan miss at the end was surprising.

Gremio and River were the two top sides for me going into the knockout round. River emerged from a much tougher group on paper but that loss in Bolivia was certainly a sign that perhaps all was not right with them. But Gremio remained solid throughout and were clearly deserving champions. Lanus fans should certainly be proud of this side. I think they played some good football at times and they were well prepared for this second leg; they just made bad mistakes at two points that cost them the game and the tie.

Comment

I spent most of the second half thoroughly bored, I have to admit. Lanús played their worst match of the knockout stage. They were nervous in the opening twenty minutes and thereafter, never managed to get their momentum going. Grêmio were excellent though, and it was good to see Luan back on form after what I thought were pretty quiet performances from him in the semi-final second leg and final first leg.

Considering Grêmio were indisuptably worthy champions, it's a bit weird to say I think Marcelo Grohe, their goalkeeper, was the player of the tournament. But I think he was (partly because of how quiet Luan was in those two recent matches). It's not that he made a lot of saves, it's that he made some absolutely brilliant ones which moreover came at crucial points in big matches. Luan is second, and Arthur was definitely man of the match last night in spite of having to go off after 50 minutes.

José Sand's penalty made him the oldest ever Libertadores final goalscorer (and also the top scorer outright in this year's competition).

Comment

Agree with all of that but I'd also give an honourable mention to the centre-backs Geromel and Kannemann (for whom Bressan substituted so capably last night). Arthur is only 21 and has played just 19 games for Grêmio but he's been a revelation this season and I would expect bids from Europe especially after being seen in the Club World Cup.

As for Marcelo Grohe, his save in the semi-final against Barcelona was one of the best I've ever seen and even last night in what was a fairly comfortable win, he made couple of great stops. If only England has as much strength in depth in goalkeepers as Brazil.

I am also pleased for Renato Gaúcho who, as well as being an excellent coach, is one of the coolest people in football. Believe it or not, I had a chat with him a couple of months ago while he was playing futvolei on Ipanema beach on a weekend off and he's a thoroughly charming bloke. It's unlikely, but I hope he can also complete the Club World Cup double as a player and manager.

Comment

Working...
        X