2017 Copa Libertadores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Copa Libertadores

Great win for Botafogo against Estudiantes. Roger's bicycle kick à la Rodrigo Pimpão in the previous round was cancelled out by an excellent free-kick by Otero. Pimpão himself popped up with the winner 8 minutes from time.

I like Botafogo. They're quite a limited team who exceeded all expectations last year but they have a likeable and promising young manager in Jair Ventura (son of Jairzinho) and the creativity of Camilo in midfield is always worth watching.

Champions Atlético Nacional lost to Ecuador's Barcelona which is probably not all that surprising as Brazilian clubs have pinched three of their best players - Borja and Guerra are now at Palmeiras and Berrío has gone to Flamengo.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

In a match which for some reason the referee decided to start as scheduled, in spite of the pitch obviously being unplayable due to water, Independiente Medellín and River Plate (ARG) first had a one hour delay during the first half when the ref realised his mistake and told the teams to head back to the changing rooms to wait and see if it stopped raining, and then played out the last hour and a bit in slightly better conditions. River won 3-1, slightly against the run of play perhaps but they'll be heartened by finally finding their shooting boots, since their summer friendlies and first league game of the year on Sunday (a 0-0 draw with Unión) weren't encouraging from an attacking point of view.

Earlier, San Lorenzo lost 1-0 at home to Atlético Paranaense thanks to a third minute Lucho González header (yes, the former River, Porto, Marseille and Argentina midfielder). Also tonight, Zulia beat Nacional in Montevideo(!) 1-0, Universidad Católica got a 1-0 win over Flamengo and Palmeiras beat Jorge Wilstermann 1-0. Universidad Católica and Flamengo are the other teams in San Lorenzo's group - San Lorenzo are the only team without any points (or a win) from two games in that one. Tomorrow, Chapecoense v Lanús is the other game in the Zulia-Nacional group (last week Chape beat Zulia away and Lanús lost to Nacional, so a Lanús win tomorrow night would leave all teams on three points after two matches). Peñarol v Atlético Tucumán is the remaining game in the Wilstermann-Palmeiras group, meanwhile.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

I'm in the same boat as last week: one day behind because I have to wait for my friend to upload games. I'm sure this might have been posted by cantagalo but the Roger goal in the Botafogo-Estudiantes match is a must watch. I have a hard time remembering a better goal scored by a team I wasn't following. The first pass was incredible, the scissor kick was probably not meant to be a pass but was perfectly place, and the bicycle kick was then executed with perfection.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

danielmak - I refer you to my post which appears two above your's!

I watched the San Lorenzo v Atlético and after the early goal by Lucho Gonzalez, it was one-way traffic but Atlético somehow survived the following 90 minutes, including a missed penalty to go top of the group. They were later joined by Universidad Católica who beat Flamengo with a Santiago Silva header. So the Group 4 table looks roughly the inverse of what I imagined it would be.

The best you can say for Palmeiras is that they kept going in their game against Jorge Wilstermann. It took until the 95th minute for Mina to get the winner and after 5 or 6 viewings I can confirm it was just onside. I am adopting Jorge Wilstermann as my non-Brazilian team this year because I like their name and their first game 6-2 victory looked a lot of fun.

Update: I have just found out that Jorge Wilstermann was the first Bolivian commercial airline pilot and that both the airport at Cochabamba and the football club are named after him.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

That Botafogo goal

Estudiantes should play in stripes.

I've always assumed that Jorge Wilsterman looked like "the most interesting man in the world" and really don't want to do anything to challenge that image.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

Perhaps one of the Bristol teams should change its name to Brian Trubshaw.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

ursus arctos wrote: That Botafogo goal

Estudiantes should play in stripes.

I've always assumed that Jorge Wilsterman looked like "the most interesting man in the world" and really don't want to do anything to challenge that image.
                Ha!

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

Sadly, Chapecoense couldn't build on their away win and went down 3-1 to Lanús and for the first time in six attempts, Argentina comes out on top against Brazil. The group is still wide open as all teams are on 3 points after Zulia's win at Nacional.

Santos overcame The Strongest thanks to goals from old-timers Ricardo Oliveira and Renato. The match turned on a sending off just before half-time with Oliveira taking advantage of the diminutive stature of the Bolivians in the wall to score from the free-kick.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

cantagalo wrote: Sadly, Chapecoense couldn't build on their away win and went down 3-1 to Lanús and for the first time in six attempts, Argentina comes out on top against Brazil. The group is still wide open as all teams are on 3 points after Zulia's win at Nacional.
                    Not only that but all four games in that group have ended in away wins. Lanús looked like they quite abruptly rediscovered their rhythm around half time last night, though, which could prove ominous for the rest of the group. Although the next games are on something like the 18th April, so a lot can change in the meantime.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

[quote]Sam wrote:
                      Originally posted by cantagalo
                      Not only that but all four games in that group have ended in away wins. Lanús looked like they quite abruptly rediscovered their rhythm around half time last night, though, which could prove ominous for the rest of the group. Although the next games are on something like the 18th April, so a lot can change in the meantime.
                      Yes, I've enjoyed the last couple of weeks and 18th April seems a long time to wait. And the Brasileirão doesn't start till 13th May, so I guess it's back to mid-table Championship action for me - though I have to admit the last 16 of the Champpions League was pretty entertaining...

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

For me personally, that was a rough loss by Nacional at home to Zuila. But Lanus' win at least keeps the group even. On the flipside, Santa Fe finally started scoring goals (every league match I have watched this season has ended 1-0 to Santa Fe or 0-0 and they lost the first Libertadores match 2-0).

The Barcelona-Atl Nacional match was the match of the round for me. That first 45 minutes was played at an incredible pace. And River's win at DIM was certainly the most impressive win given the qualities of DIM in the league in the past few years (a very strong league during that time) plus a 1/4 final exit in the 2016 Sudamericana. The fact that the game started when it did was shocking but River did the business and won handily.

These large gaps are a downfall of the new year-long Libertadores. It's going to get brutal when we have lengthy gaps between knockout ties. I don't know what you're getting on TV for State Championships, cantagalo, but in the US we're getting 3-4 Paulista games a week on average plus one Carioca if there is a match between big sides. I've been able to watch more of these than in the past and am enjoying the football. I'm behind (as always) on the Carioca matches and halfway through a thrilling Flu-Fla derby. I hope to finish watching that tonight after I finish Liga-Defensor L1 of the Sudamericana tie.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

You're definitely better off watching the Paulista. Under no circumstances should you waste any of your life watching Botafogo v Vasco and Flamengo Reserves thrashing, or indeed Fluminense losing to, what are little more than pub teams. On the other hand, Santos v Palmeiras on Sunday was a really good game and well worth some of your time.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

Just a reminder that tonight sees the first leg of the Recopa with Chapecoense meeting Atlético Nacional in the match that never took place last November.

Kick-off is at 11.15 UK time.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

The programming idiots at Fox have decided to repeat the Eintracht Frankfurt Bundesliga match from earlier today rather than show this, so I'm hoping I can get a file to watch by tomorrow.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

Chapecoense's officials did a great job with the presentation. And the fans were really up for that match. I have to say that I've been really impressed with the quality of play both in this match and in their Libertadores matches. I would have thought that a brand new team would need time to settle and this side would be getting squashed, but they've played well. (I haven't seen any of their state league matches so can't speak to their qualities on that front.) Atl Nacional were clearly the more slick passing side, but Chape's wide play was excellent and they were deserving winners. I would expect that Atl Nacional's talent and depth will win out in the return leg but hopefully the second 90 will be as impressive as the first match.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

After far too long a break, the Libertadores is back and it was great to see Jorge Wilstermann hit the top of Group 5 by beating Atlético Tucuman, coming back from one down in a game of three headed goals. Palmeiras are likely to overtake them tonight but if they could just find a way to scrape a point in one of their two remaining away games they should qualify.

Grêmio shot into a 3 goal half-time lead against Desportes Iquique but relaxed and it ended 3-2. Flamengo meet Atlético-PR tonight in only the fourth game to be held at the Maracanã since the Olympics. Apparently, the playing surface is in awful condition and has been painted over to hide the damage. This would be a pretty routine League fixture but as it's the Libertadores, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

A classic Libertadores game between Palmeiras and Penarol. Nine yellow and one red card, an mass brawl, a missed penalty and a 99th minute winner. If you've got a spare 15 minutes, it's well worth watching this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4zjqr471s

Flamengo came out on top against Atlético-PR with goals from their top men, Paulo Guerrero and Diego. Not a bad game but I wish I'd watched Palmeiras instead.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

More great action last night as Botafogo came away with a 2-0 win at champions Atlético Nacional. They were the first Brazilian team to visit Medellín after the Chapecoense disaster and it was an ex-Chape player, Camilo who started and finished an excellent counter-attack and another goal on the break by Guilherme sealed it in added time.

Atlético were in big trouble against the splendidly-named Sport Boys of Bolivia. They were 2-1 down with 20 minutes of the second half gone but then Fred intervened. His four goals gave them a comfortable looking 5-2 scoreline but it was anything but that. I've watched Fred closely over a long time and I'm still none the wiser as to how he does it..... that's 17 goals in 13 games for him this year.

Saw some brief highlights of River v Melgar. Some nice looking goals featuring backheels and overhead kicks but I'll let Sam elaborate on that.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

I confess I was one of those who used to dismiss Felipe Melo as a loud-mouthed thug with limited talent. Since he joined Palmeiras though, he's proven to be a real character. He's still a hard man on the pitch but he's an engaging and intelligent interviewee and is well on the way to cult status.

Here's how he dealt with the racist abuse he received from Penarol's Gaston Ramirez on Wednesday.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/101ggvideos/felipe-melo-has-the-perfect-comeback-for-racist-opponent-after-being-called-a-monkey-video/

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

I was way behind last week because of the Dortmund game being delayed and working late in addition to a normal one-day delay in getting games from a friend. But I'm only a day or so behind this week, which is about normal.

I'll say that so far the Barcelona-Atl Nacional and Palmeiras-Penarol matches have been the most enjoyable.

Chape-Nacional has me fearing Nacional's ability to get out of the group. This is a side that just does not look good at all, both in the league and in the Libertadores. It's amazing how much things can change in a few months, since Nacional were wonderful in the league during the last term. But the match itself was pretty dreadful.

The Lanus-Zulia match was absolutely bizarre. Lanus won by a big margin (5-0) but this really should have been a 10 or 12-0 match. Zulia rarely made it out of their own half. But with all of the said, I found this match to be strange because Lanus' decision-making in the final third during the first half was amateur at best: horrible touches, horrible passes, passing to the wrong person, passing rather than shooting, shooting rather than passing. But all of those problems were fixed in the second half when Lanus scored 4.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

I missed it, for the most part. Not surprised about Nacional, though; as I said at the time, their win over Lanús seemed as much to do with Lanús' enforced long summer break as anything, and now they're starting to click they should be okay. Ought to be Lanús and Chape to make it out of that group, I'd think.

Estudiantes got a 1-0 win over a Macnelly Torres-less Atlético Nacional today, which complicates the champions severely; no points from three games, meaning they'll be at least six behind second place with nine to play for once Botafogo and Barcelona (the top two in the group, both on six points from two games) have played their game in hand. It's by no means unachievable, but in that group it won't be easy.

And yes, missed the discussion last week but River were as good against Melgar as they had been ruthless against DIM in the opener. Which, given this is the Libertadores, obviously means they won't win the thing*, but they should be good for the knockout stage at least.

*Aside from anything else it'll be a miracle if Sebastián Driussi and Lucas Alario are both still there for the knockout stage. In fact it'd be quite surprising if either of them are.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

The Atlético-MG game against Libertad and Santos against Santa Fé were so lacking in incident and devoid of merit that I paid much more attention to a couple of Copa do Brasil games.

If you're interested, Atlético lost 1-0 on a swamp in Paraguay and in Colombia neither team troubled the scorers.

Danielmak - sorry for the spoiler but it'll save you a few hours of your life.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

Another excellent away performance by Botafogo but missed chances cost them a victory. It could have been worse as they missed a penalty in the first minute and it took them until the 89th to equalise with another penalty. Barcelona's goal by Alemán was a superb effort and well-worth watching.

Which is more than can be said for Grêmio's trip to Guarani in Paraguay. Unbelievably, they decided to field a reserve team to save players for a State Championship semi-final in Sunday against the mighty Novo Hamburgo of Série D.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

I am pleased to report that the full Grêmio team lost their Gaúcho semi-final with Novo Hamburgo on penalties.

Comment

2017 Copa Libertadores

When there's such a controversial game as Palmeiras v Peñarol and the teams meet again just a week later, you can guess what might happen. And when Palmeiras overturn a two goal half-time deficit to win 3-2, it's very likely to kick off. And you could also predict that right at the centre of the action would be Felipe Melo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_wak-uQh29s

I thought it was a justifiable pre-emptive punch in the face by Melo and a pathetic reaction by the Uruguayans who'd been chasing after him seeking a fight. It will only enhance his legend status at Palmeiras. Doubtless, he'll be punished by Conmebol but hopefully they'll also look at the almost complete absence of policing, the shutting of the exit into the tunnel preventing Palmeiras players from leaving the pitch and the fact that it was only Palmeiras' private security that prevented Peñarol fans from entering the dressing rooms.

In other news, Atlético-PR got their revenge on Flamengo and now lead Group 4 where San Lorenzo kept their hopes alive with a win over Universidad Católica.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X