Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

Unless there's something incredibly juicy (maybe linked to Russia) in them, I think that it was better they remained unseen and therefore a source of all kinds of plausible but unprovable conspiracies about him.

Comment

Trump's Card

San Bernardhinault wrote: The more I think about it, the more obvious it is that you're right. Creating block grants that can then be frozen and thus devalue in real terms - and presumably eventually wither away completely - is a way to reduce a massive chunk of non-military US spending. And it could be that Randian fetishists like Ryan actually care about reducing the scope of the US government spending rather than just cutting taxes for the rich.
      I think that's the key with Ryan. He's not just a cynical fuck getting tax cuts for the rich, he believes this is righteous behaviour. I'm sure he can excuse away every grubby compromise that strayed from Randian Purity. Long termThe Cause will prevail.

In a way, he is the mirror of Sanders, hanging onto old failed theories from Friedman types, instead of vainly imagining a feasible large future US manufacturing workforce. He's at last three quarter convinced by his own bullshit. Makes him dangerous to underestimate the crazy he will go along with.

Comment

Trump's Card

The return is a 1040 from 2005.

The Whitehouse have said that 45 paid $38 million on $150 million in 2005. My, they got that out quickly.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Journal (and perhaps the Times) reported on those before the election.

Comment

Trump's Card

Maddow is supposed to be talking about them on her show, but it really seems like she's stalling. She's getting killed by just about everyone on my Twitter timeline.

Comment

Trump's Card

The Daily Beast has a story on the 2005 returns, which Maddow is going to get to at some point, I would assume. It doesn't seem all that scandalous: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/03/14/report-trump-s-2005-taxes-revealed.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

Comment

Trump's Card

Ugh

Comment

Trump's Card

If there was anything there, it would have been mentioned in the first 2 minutes.

Comment

Trump's Card

Well, it was probably leaked by one of 45's minions. Because it was a copy of a client copy, apparently.

Comment

Trump's Card

He paid more than I would have expected. This'll (if anything) 'normalise' him to an extent.

Comment

Trump's Card

But it is insane though, that you can pay less than 30% when you're a squillionairre.

Comment

Trump's Card

And, he pledged to get rid of that tax law which would have made him pay $31 million less without it.

Comment

Trump's Card

Sounds an interesting law. How come Bush hadn't got rid of it?

Comment

Trump's Card

What's betting that this is the most flattering and least informative single piece of paper in all of donald trump's tax records.

Comment

Trump's Card

He paid more than I would have expected. This'll (if anything) 'normalise' him to an extent.
                                Interestingly, it appears to be the year in which he used up the last (and on average most) of his 1995 loss. If he had any more of it left, he'd have paid less. (on the basis of having less adjusted income).

Sounds an interesting law. How come Bush hadn't got rid of it?
                                Well, he did raise the threshold and allowed a number of deductions, but mainly because the optics for abolition (as opposed to, say, indexation) are terrible and it raises a huge amount of revenue ($35bn a year now). He was already playing all sorts of budget games with his tax cuts so as to pretend they wouldn't blow up the deficit to save rich people money. The AMT would be a step too far.

Comment

Trump's Card

Cheers. Could it work here?

Comment

Trump's Card

It couldn't hurt, I suppose, but it's not really necessary given how the tax systems are structured. There are way more deductions/credits/income adjustments in the US system so it's very easy for rich people to get their effective income tax rate very low without any shenanigans (the shenanigans come in to avoid the AMT and other taxes). Avoidance here is more about the shenanigans, so the AMT wouldn't bite because the income wouldn't be declared in the first place.

Comment

Trump's Card

That's evasion if income isn't declared, isn't it?

Comment

Trump's Card

Yes, that's what I was implying with "shenanigans", though in the UK there's the whole non-dom aspect too.

Comment

Trump's Card

The revised Muslim ban has been blocked by temporary injunction

Comment

Trump's Card

It's bizarre that I'm happy at how spectacularly useless the administration of the country I live in is.

But the government's astonishing ineptitude has so far managed to prevent it from doing nearly as much damage as even a vaguely competent one would have.

Comment

Trump's Card

He's such a putz.

The petulant tantrum about the Hawaii ruling only makes it easier for the Ninth Circuit to slap him down again.

Comment

Trump's Card

And so it begins.

Comment

Trump's Card

Of which

Also, a declaration of war on programs for the poor.

Comment

Trump's Card

By proposing to cut all funding to HUD's community development block grant program, all federal funding for Meals on Wheels programs would be eliminated. Meals on Wheels gets money from other sources, but it would be a severe blow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X