Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida's history of bad ballot design

Comment

Dave Wasserman calls in favour of Rick Scott.

Comment

My understanding was the same as GY's. California's assembly was not allowed to legislate anything that raised revenue without it going to plebiscite first. But that a legislative supermajority could overcome that blockage - which means that the assembly can currently raise taxes.

Comment

Including property taxes?

There has been a supermajority in the Assembly since 2016.

Comment

I don't think anything overrides Prop 13, no. And I may well be wrong on this - it's the kind of thing I was told by someone rather than something I've actually researched and looked up.

Comment

It is likely that I over-focus on Prop 13 because I arrived in the state soon after it passed and was living with a woman whose father thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Whereas my next significant other (now ms. ursus) is part of a family that has dozens of degrees from UC schools, the vast majority of them from the time before Prop 13.

I'm pretty sure that a super-majority can pass increases in income and some other state taxes. Whether that happens, of course, is another thing. The fierce opposition to the homeless tax in San Francisco isn't a great sign in that regard. Yes, it passed reasonably easily, but it would be much easier for that kind of money to pick off a few state legislators.

Comment

fuck her. She looks like a skull with lippy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/15/politics/cindy-hyde-smith-mississippi-universities-voter-suppression/index.html

Comment

I wish her many bad days. And her daughter to marry outside her race, in her own gender.

Comment

But wait! There is so much more

https://twitter.com/nathanhrubin/status/1063428501427154947?s=21

Comment

Tell me again why this woman is a Senator?

Because Mississippi presumably.

Comment

Why did Trump keep emphasising that he wrote the answers to Mueller's questions, not his lawyers? He must have repeated this "fact" about five times.

Comment

Cindy is an exception as she mentions she's conservative but why do lots of candidates and representatives only put the district or state in their bio/advertising.

I've clicked on a few twitter profiles in the past month or so and they all seem to be candidate for US senate, representative for KY-9 or similar but nothing mentions if they're democrat or republican.

Comment

Cindy has also taken a donation from a notorious racist.

She's the "establishment" choice and all. What the heck must Chris McDaniel be like?

Comment

A neo-Confederate

Comment

Sporting, one of 45's central fantasies is that he, and he alone, is responsible for everything "great" that has been achieved in his orbit. As the current state of the "answers" is that they are the "greatest of all time", he can only imagine a reality in which he is solely responsible for their greatness. This is at the heart of the reason why the Republican Party has become a personality cult.

He repeated it five times because it is a boldfaced lie even by his standards and everyone knows that. The audacity of his lies can often be traced by their vehemence.

He will, of course, throw his lawyers under the bus immediately as soon as the inevitable faults in the answers appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  I wish her many bad days. And her daughter to marry outside her race, in her own gender.
                                  Having first changed gender.

Comment

Popular vote lead now 7.6%.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Does that cross all that many lines these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                        Popular vote lead now 7.6%.
                                        you have to say which polling company size of sample and what the options are, Tubby.

Comment

He's talking about the Congressional Midterms, Nef

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                            Cindy is an exception as she mentions she's conservative but why do lots of candidates and representatives only put the district or state in their bio/advertising.

I've clicked on a few twitter profiles in the past month or so and they all seem to be candidate for US senate, representative for KY-9 or similar but nothing mentions if they're democrat or republican.
                                            Sorry, which part of "total cunt" don't you get? Took me ages to whittle the fuckers down, and I can't even vote.

Comment

Needless to say, no, you pig ignorant twat, we don't rake and/or clean our forests. With a population of about 5.5 million and 70% of the country covered in forests, where would we get the resources? That we suffer far less than California from forest fires has a lot more to do with the climate than anything else.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Seems to be a lot more Democrats running unopposed by Republicans than vice versa. Could be exaggerating the absolute margin that TI was referring to.

Comment

Roughly nine to one, if I recall correctly. The Democrats made a concious effort to field candidates in as many districts as possible this time.

And yes, that is a factor.

Comment

Although there's a counterbalancing factor that in some races where Democrats run unopposed they didn't even bother to count the votes. I think this was true in Florida. It doesn't cover the whole difference, but it reduces it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X