No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One vaguely interesting thing not mentioned in that piece is that McSally isn't going ballistic, claiming all kinds of random vote fraud. Republican HQ is basically livid about this, and they keep getting on the phone to her campaign to tell her to go all Rick Scott/Trump/Rubio claiming that it's a massive swindle, to try and discredit the entire process.

It appears that she might not be doing that, and instead be playing the mollifying, calm candidate who believes in the proper and due process. This is because John Kyl who was appointed to McCain's seat has said that he has no intention of sticking with it. If McSally plays the McCain due process card, it's possible that she's angling to get appointed to that seat as she thinks she's already lost this election. The Republican bigwigs seem to be utterly furious, but there's nothing they can do.

Comment

20,102 as of now on the Secretary of State’s live count.

I am glad that so many of you are educating yourselves as to just why the nation of my birth was so clearly selected by G-d to instruct all the other peoples of creation as to the proper way to run a democracy.

Comment

I was under the impression that it was England that had that whole thing sewn up.

This is very funny, but this guy lacks imagination.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1060385534403579904

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
          Trump is now suggesting that results from Arizona are invalid:

No one has any idea what he is specifically referring to.
          Not sure he really thought through the "Corruption - New election" linkage properly.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jerryiannelli/status/1061042273813778434

Comment

How the Hell does that even happen? Why aren't people out burning things down over this?

Remember a couple of years ago: “'Tens of thousands' of fraudulent Clinton votes found in Ohio warehouse”?

The chutzpah of these people amazes me.

Comment

From 538:

The changing margin is due to continued vote-counting in Broward and Palm Beach counties, two of Florida’s largest and more Democratic-leaning counties. On Thursday evening, the supervisors of elections in the two counties told the South Florida Sun Sentinel that vote counting there was mostly complete. Under Florida law, counties have to report unofficial election results to the secretary of state by Saturday at noon, but Nelson’s campaign is suing to extend that deadline. Scott’s campaign and the National Republican Senatorial Committee are also suing both counties for not disclosing more information about the ongoing count, and Scott called on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate Broward’s handling of ballots.

Unusually, the votes tabulated in Broward County so far exhibit a high rate of something called “undervoting,” or not voting in all the races on the ballot. Countywide, 26,060 fewer votes were cast in the U.S. Senate race than in the governor race.1 Put another way, turnout in the Senate race was 3.7 percent lower than in the gubernatorial race.

Broward County’s undervote rate is way out of line with every other county in Florida, which exhibited, at most, a 0.8-percent difference. (There is one outlier — the sparsely populated Liberty County — where votes cast in the Senate race were 1 percent higher than in the governor race, but there we’re talking about a difference of 26 votes, not more than 26,000, as is the case in Broward.)

One possible reason for the discrepancy is poor ballot design. Broward County ballots listed the U.S. Senate race first, right after the ballot instructions. But that pushed the U.S. Senate race to the far bottom left of the ballot, where voters may have skimmed over it, while the governor’s race appears at the top of the ballot’s center column, immediately to the right of the instructions
                Fucking hell, replace the names with Gore and Bush, and you have yourself a carbon copy of a news story from 2000.

Forget about the whole thing though, it will eventually go to the supreme court.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/1060956945937563648

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    One vaguely interesting thing not mentioned in that piece is that McSally isn't going ballistic, claiming all kinds of random vote fraud. Republican HQ is basically livid about this, and they keep getting on the phone to her campaign to tell her to go all Rick Scott/Trump/Rubio claiming that it's a massive swindle, to try and discredit the entire process.

It appears that she might not be doing that, and instead be playing the mollifying, calm candidate who believes in the proper and due process. This is because John Kyl who was appointed to McCain's seat has said that he has no intention of sticking with it. If McSally plays the McCain due process card, it's possible that she's angling to get appointed to that seat as she thinks she's already lost this election. The Republican bigwigs seem to be utterly furious, but there's nothing they can do.
                    Doesn't that mean she'll get primaried by a Trumper sooner or later?

As for Florida, I'd have expected the reverse pattern, where a racist Panhandle county has Dems voting for the white guy but not the black. But Florida is just incomprehensible anyway right now. Add in the newly enfranchised felons and who knows how that pans out?

Can anyone explain why the GOP did not put more money into defeating Amendment 4? Was it complacency?
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-11-2018, 13:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                      Sinema appears pretty lucky since the Green candidate got around 2%. Two-party system with an array of potential spoilers, always a joy.
                      The Green pulled out before election day and endorsed Sinema. Having presumably had a bizarre epiphany about Trump and first past the post.

Comment

Completely off-topic, but that Miami New Times website is a piece of shit with all its popups and adverts and so on.

Comment

I think, today, this thread will get to 500 pages, marking my first, and probably only, half-ton. Unfortunately, I'm out, and won't be here to mark it.
                          Can I just say that I'm so very very proud to be a part of it, and I think Donald would be too.
                          I thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            Completely off-topic, but that Miami New Times website is a piece of shit with all its popups and adverts and so on.
                            You want to see the Gloucestershire Echo's site.

Comment

I know. And lots of people had already voted

Comment

I was actually thinking that it's interesting how many states have "fairer" election systems. Maine's ranked choice voting, obviously, but also California's jungle primary, and Georgia and Louisiana having run-offs if all candidates get under 50%. Britain could learn a thing or two...

Comment

Sometimes the laboratories of democracy are actually used for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                    The Green pulled out before election day and endorsed Sinema. Having presumably had a bizarre epiphany about Trump and first past the post.
                                    Here we go again

Comment

It seems that Scott would have lost if the Broward ballot had been designed properly. You'd think the Dems would have spotted that potential issue in advance. But then (as above) the GOP fucked up on Amendment 4.

What's to stop Scott kicking this up the SCOTUS?
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-11-2018, 15:57.

Comment

Seems like Palm Beach County all over again. That ballot was so badly designed that it ended up killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.

Comment

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1061281280938127361?s=19

Comment

please Ad Hoc. Marine I can't fly in a light drizzle.

Comment

Nate Cohn reckons we're looking at 38 or 39 pick ups.

Comment

My guess is that's probably about right.

Of the outstanding big races, I'd probably lay odds at about

60-40 Democrat win in AZ Senate
                                                90-10 Republican win in FL Senate
                                                98-2 Republican win in FL Governor
                                                99-1 Republican win in GA Governor (without a re-run)

Comment

You know things are bad when you're being burned by Trudeau, Verhofstadt and Churchill's grandson.

Comment

This is intriguing

https://twitter.com/JamesKosur/status/1061030228489728000

Comment

Working...
                                                    X